Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Faulty EGR Valves on my D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 25 <123 ... 101112 ... 232425>
DiscoverEd!

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is all this EGR blanking insurance proof? Don't want to be stuck in a "you modded the engine, you pay the bill" situation with my insurer.

Anyone?

Post #7689481st Mar 2011 6:40 pm
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dont bellieve there would be any Insurance issues with this mate! Thumbs Up
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #7689781st Mar 2011 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
loopyles

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth on the Euro 4 engine I believe if you do not have the faultmate or equivalent to reset the engine management light and the EGR begins to work again, as with mine I gave the EGR a little tap to release the actuator they get rusty.( I still had to change it a few days later)The light stayed on until I had started the car 3 times then it went off I seem to remember being told that is how the ECU works it all out on a Euro 4. ?? Last I spoke to Bell Autos they had not written any new software fix and I believe it may have to be a re map not just a cheap patch. I am sure a man who knows may come along and answer this.

Post #7702124th Mar 2011 12:02 pm
damo9

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Long term implications of blanking EGR valves

I have been 'lucky' enough to have the EGR valves go on my 07 reg Disco 3. My garage has quoted £700 in order to repair and replace them so I am seriously considering going for the EGR blanking plate option and doing it myself.

However, could someone please advise on the long term implications of removing the EGR valves, both from a point of view engine health and passing the emissions test come MOT time?

Many thanks in advance - great site with lots of good knowledge. Before my garage inspected the car I told them what the issue could be based on the information that I obtained from this site. The service manager told me that I had obviously been speaking to the right people when the diagnostics test came back Smile

Post #7723279th Mar 2011 3:00 pm
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi damo9,

Please read earlier posts, you can't blank 07> models, yet?

Thumbs Up
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #7723679th Mar 2011 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
egr blanks on eu4

hi damon9
as stephen said, at the moment you cant blank eu4 lumps,i mailed pete at bell autos in jan,he said he was working on it.
cheers
sandy Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #78566513th Apr 2011 7:55 pm
DiscoGary

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
ERG's

Had all the symptoms described by people on this thread to suggest an ERG problem. Rather than get my LR garage to fix the problem for close on £800 for both. I took the advice from here and bought a BAS blanking kit, £48.50 less postage. It took me about 2 hours to fit. I would describe myself as technically challenged, but after reading the instruction at least 3 times I had a go. There are some fiddly bits but nothing major. If I can do it anyone can. Anyway, since I fitted it I have the D3 I know and love back again. So glad I did it. This thread saved me a fortune. Cheers all. Smile

Post #8052069th Jun 2011 6:09 pm
discokirk

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Also just fitted Bell Auto EGR blanking kit. Unbelieveable the amount of gunk that had built up on the venturi valves and downwind from them - great big blobs of tar substance. I still have to understand why they fit that system at the OE level. What if a blob of that stuff comes away and goes into one of the pots? Even if that does not happen, eventually the whole inlet manifold must become progressively disfunctional until the cancer bring the whole engine down.........
 06 Disco TDV6 HSE  
Post #80550110th Jun 2011 9:25 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Quick question,sort of on topic......my car had one EGR valve replaced around 40k and the other one just before I bought it at 66k.......can anyone ,who has needed to have theirs replaced for a second time,tell me roughly how long the new ones lasted ? Would the design have changed to prolong life ?
I'm just thinking if one went at 40k,by the law of averages I should be approaching failure time again.....or are these things a complete lottery/guesswork ?
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #80552510th Jun 2011 10:22 am
kemppi

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi

Hope someone can help I have a disco 3 2005 HSE with all the usual EGR problems, I have blanked them off and removed the butterfly.
But I still have loss of power and black smoke i spoke to Pete from bell autos and he suggested a split or blocked intercooler pipe as this is very common or a split intercooler itself which I will checkout today if it doesn't rain again!!
But the main question I have is does anyone know how to stop the engine system fault coming up on the dash? I have a Hawkeye to clear the faults but when I next start the car it comes up again! The problem is fixed mechanically but it still reads the old EGR valves electrically! What can be done to sort this??

Regards

Kemppi

Post #80809718th Jun 2011 9:14 am
davefosta

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
egr and smoking

can someone explain why im blowing out alot and i mean alot of black smoke from my exhaust? its just had the egr valves blanked and its runnning fine but smoking like a trooper when i power up from lights roundabouts etc.. ????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #81230429th Jun 2011 5:29 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Dave

See kempii's post above. Check the intercooler hose and the intercooler itself. Otherwise you could be looking at the turbo....
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #81230829th Jun 2011 5:39 pm
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
egr,s and eu4 lumps

ref above,on the jaguar x type forum,there are a number of interesting threads ref this,on the later facelift model diesels(08 on) the electric types CAN be blanked,it seems you drill an 8mm hole in the center of the plate to fool the maf into thinking all is hunky dory,and it works.fortunately they only have one egr Whistle and take about an hour to do Laughing
Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #81831718th Jul 2011 2:43 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Rnlisg have you got a link for that post, 8mm hole still means it's not blocked. I spoke to Pete of Bells auto on Friday at Billing show, he can't say when it's moving up the todo list. Alive tuning has mentioned he would do it, any one done that?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #81835818th Jul 2011 4:14 pm
phildiver11

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi just used the Bell Auto blanking kit. It worked a treat, i had been suffering intermittent power loss on start up. Went to Dakar in Swanley and had the car plugged in (£60 plus vat) showed both EGR valves low power circuit. Dakar quoted £575 all in for both valves fitted. I spent £55 for the blanking kit, took just over an hour to fit. Car is now running like dream, only tricky bit is getting the butterfly spindle out, i used a pair of plyers to pull it out. Dakar keep the valves in stock if you want to go for the costly option. Mine is a 6A motor anyone with an newer engine cannot use this kit.

Post #81904820th Jul 2011 1:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 25 <123 ... 101112 ... 232425>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >