If I calculated the amount of time and parts it has taken to get my new car

go on, i dare you... Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #60996925th Feb 2010 10:55 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Mr. Tres,

In reality, the D4 HSE list price is not that different to the last D3 HSE. The car, though, is very different and a great deal of what has cost more is simply not so visually obvious. Lower down the range, the differences in price/spec are greater, I agree; this is what is called marketing.

To say that underneath the car is pretty much the same, though, is off the mark; it is underneath where the changes have, principally, been made, and which makes the D4 so different in many ways to the D3. Additionally, I have nothing bad to say about the D3, of which I had two. Neither let me down, the second one didn't have a thing go wrong with it from the day I took delivery and the first one, which was a relatively early build, suffered from only the early software issues that were fixed in the upgrade programme that LR undertook.

It is regrettable that you have two more years on your warranty.............

Post #60999225th Feb 2010 11:24 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:
To say that underneath the car is pretty much the same, though, is off the mark

With all due respect Winger, it isn't off the mark....it's complete bullsh it.....

Yep - just a new engine.... Rolling Eyes

DT - there is much much more to the D4 than just a new engine, but I guess you didn't look further than the dashboard and first line of the spec sheet eh? I guess this was more than enough to make an informed opinion though.

Winger wrote:
It is regrettable that you have two more years on your warranty.............

For me it's very regrettable.....I means that we have to put up with him for another 24 months.... Big Cry
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #61001025th Feb 2010 12:13 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I did say "pretty much the same car" as in overall look, there are some D3's that have had a few minor changes and look exactly or near enough, like a D4.

For me to spend £50k on a new car moving from a D3 I would want something different to look at, not almost identical, OK there is a bigger engine, but how does the basic 3ltr compare to a remapped 2.7ltr, what benefits exactly are you getting from the new suspension, will it go up hills better, climb over rocks better, what exactly will it do that a D3 will not do? Rolling Eyes

As I said it was just my impression and my views as I sat in it, I have driven one and wasn't blown away at all, I want manual because that is my prefernce, so would be limited to certain models, each to their own of course, but everyone is entitled to an opinion surely without getting slagged off and abused!

Post #61005325th Feb 2010 1:31 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No one is slagging you off, or at least I am not, rather pointing out where you are simply wrong. Misinformation is not helpful and maintaining the quality element of the site is of considerable importance - more people use it as an information source than ever post here. Drivel is not helpful, unless posted in the appropriate area of the forum, specifically designed for just that.

I don't think that the D4 will do anything off road better than the D3, save for the modifications that LR have made to the terrain response system, which they view as a step forward. I doubt very much that remapped 2.7l would come close to the all round performance of the 3.0l. I would prefer a manual, but that option was available to me. Does it go up hills better?: on the road there is simply no comparison.

As to opinions, provided that you operate within the bounds of decency, of course you are entitled to an opinion. But there lies the problem, as an opinion falls somewhere between knowledge and ignorance. Perhaps if you were to consider that before "sharing" your opinions with us all, the forum would be a better place as a result.

Post #61007425th Feb 2010 1:58 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:

Winger wrote:
To say that underneath the car is pretty much the same, though, is off the mark

With all due respect Winger, it isn't off the mark....it's complete bullsh it.....

maybe he means his parking spot... Whistle

Quote:
abused!
you lucky b Censored tard... they only hung me the right way up yesterday...

as for the comment on price/ value DT, how about the audi A4.. looks just like the RS4 pretty much save for the £50k price tag...... Whistle

Post #61007825th Feb 2010 2:01 pm
Discotres

Surely the point of the forum is to dicuss such matters as is now being discussed, good to see your views and no doubt others will follow which will enable a fair balanced debate to take place, otherwise what is the point. I was considering a D4, and have given my views, if i can be persuaded otherwise then go for it, I'm listening.

Post #61007925th Feb 2010 2:05 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:
No one is slagging you off, or at least I am not,

I was Evil or Very Mad And I shouldn't have been....sorry DT Embarassed

I just couldn't bring myself to take the time to write what Winger has just rather diplomatically explained. Making broad statements and opinions about everything without actually having a reasonable depth of knowledge, experience or preferably both in a subject is detrimental to the site and just winds people up...(mainly me Laughing )

Saying that some other mug could buy your D3 out of warranty because they're all crap and unreliable is not really excusable and to say that the new D4 is just a smoke and mirrors exercise highlights how little you actually know about it. Of course all views, tastes and opinions are welcome, but your comments went beyond that and could be perceived as just a blanket troll post.

Most of us (me included) make comments now and again that are not factually correct, not suficiently researched or just plain pointless, but to do it 15 times a day gets a tad annoying.

I'll try and play nice from now on (let's see how long it lasts Whistle )

Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #61008225th Feb 2010 2:11 pm
Discotres

Thumbs Up Paul

Post #61008525th Feb 2010 2:14 pm
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Well I was very impressed with the D4 I drove today at the by appointment event - combined the on road performance of my BMW 530d with the other qualities of my D3. If I had the money I'd get one - but four weeks after getting the D3 would be a bit silly!

Post #61041625th Feb 2010 11:39 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Since having my wonderful D3 stolen and burnt, I had the choice between a new D4 and 1 yr old D3 for the same price, due to quirky gov't stimulus laws. I will also drive it until is falls apart, hopefully 15 yrs from now. In my case the D4 is on balance preferable. I occasionally drive across deep salt water estuaries, tow a 1000kg trailer of heavy pipe stuff on very remote rock strewn tracks and/or soft sand. These trecks offroad for work and play generally take 1000km drives to get there (I'm just setting context here).

Having electronics a bit higher in the aux battery compartment keeps them safer, (at a cost of having to put my aux battery in the back, which flows on to hyraulic not mechanical winch), the 3.0 diesel is as good on sand as my D3's V8 was but burns less fuel, and tail lights hopefully don't burn out in the middle of nowhere causing "safe" mode when in deep bush tracks. The seas are marginally more comfortable and the new terrain response control works better on my bifocals. Pity that the snorkles and roo bars haven't yet been developed but they will be.

I delight in seeing how everyone on this site has different uses and criteria for using their increadibly capable D3s or D4s!
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #61045726th Feb 2010 7:09 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

After having just returned home from a 400 km stint along country backroads and a couple of gravel roads through forests that's used by logging trucks, I'm adamant that the shocks have to go because they are excessively stiff on fast, short movement. Corrugations shake the vehicle terribly and the shocks thump and bash on the patchy bitumen, making for a very harsh ride for me and an unbearable one for my wife with her damaged back.

The retro-fitted D3 front sway bar has very nicely done away with the tossing of the front of the vehicle that was caused by the stiff D4 bar making the front of the body follow wheels up and down and now the rear bar needs replacing too because the body now follows the rear wheels rather than balancing on all 4. Perhaps the D3 front bar that allows more wheel movement also allows the stiffness of the shocks to be noticed more.

Where's that D3 we took for a drive to check the ride? Gone, I know, so just gotta get this beast back to a D3 ride.

Post #61050226th Feb 2010 9:52 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well having had a D3 and a 2008 RRS in the last few weeks as loan cars while my D4 was being worked on, I have to say that the D4 handling and ride is far superior. Much better body control, much less understeer towards the limit, and the ride is well damped. Severe corrugations can upset the damping and set up oscillations but as a package it is excellent. Better than my FFRR (2006).

I realize that although some of the back lanes out here in the Cotswolds aren't exactly the wilds of Oz, my car does get used off road quite a bit and is certainly no worse than a D3, nor would I say it was any better.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #61054726th Feb 2010 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

obvious question that plays into DT's hands - new car being worked on for last few weeks - what gives?
 d4 HSE  
Post #61056326th Feb 2010 11:28 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not worked on for 2 weeks, just worked on in the last 2 weeks. It's all down to battery problems really....oh... and new rear calipers.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #61077826th Feb 2010 3:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >