Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Headlights Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Daf

Headlights Failure

I've had a bit of a search but can't find a thread about this so I've started one.

A couple of days ago someone pointed out that one of my brake lights had failed. This was a bit of a shock as I thought the dash lit up with loads of faults when this happened! Anyway, I hadn't got around to getting it replaced and this evening I went out to pick up some food from Tescos and arrived when it was light. When I came out it was dark so I put my lights on. All I seemed to have were sidelights for both the sidelight and headlight setting on the switch. Indicators worked, the rear headlights worked and break lights worked (except for the one that failed). The full beam setting did nothing but when I flashed, by pulling the switch on the column backwards, I had a full beam's worth of light!

Obviously I'll replace the brake light bulb but is that the cause of this problem? If so, that's utterly bonkers and even dangerous. All help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post #6457256th May 2010 9:45 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Most likely to be both dipped beam bulbs have blown. Happened to me one morning, just switched lights on, and when backing off drive I was plunged into darkness. Drove to work using foglights Embarassed and had a look later. These were philips xtreme bulbs, lasted only 10 months of little use. Rolling Eyes Edit, just checked your other posts, and it appears you have xenons, so scrub that.

Last edited by DN on 6th May 2010 10:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6457326th May 2010 10:00 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I very much doubt that your brake light failure has caused the headlight problem.

It may well be a faulty main lighting switch.

Edit: advice edit, based on reading the first post Embarassed
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #6457346th May 2010 10:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Have done some searching for you.

Change the brake light ASAP as shorted bulbs have been known to do very odd things to the D3.

Also check fuse 25 in the main passenger compartment fusebox, this feeds the main lighting switch knob and has also been known to fix some odd lighting issues.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #6457436th May 2010 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Daf

Thanks.

If both dipped beam bulbs have blown then why do I only get a full beam when I flash the light as opposed to putting full beam on?

Do I need to get a Land Rover approved part or just get a decent replacement from a motor factors? Could someone link me to the thread that tells me how to change a brake light bulb?

Thanks.

Post #6457546th May 2010 10:54 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Although your profile is empty, I'm guessing you have bi-xenon headlamps?

If this is the case, then your "flashy" lamps (i.e pull the indicator stalk towards you) work from standard halogen headlamps, whilst the main beam (push the indicator stalk away from you) works from the same bi-xenon lamps as the dipped beam lights and these are what seem to be knackered....

Definitely worth checking the fuses, switch panel and get the brake light changed asap as Martin says.....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6457576th May 2010 11:00 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
may just be the burned out tail light bulb

When you replace the brake tail light bulb, I suggest you replace it with a genuine Land Rover P21/5, (I think that is the one), bulb as the OEM does not cost much more than a "good as", and unfortunately, not all of the offshore bulbs are as good as they should be.

With the proper spec bulbs, all the filaments in all the rear bulbs will be standing up and down. That is, when you look thru the red plastic at the bulbs, you will see that the filaments are vertical, rather than at an angle or worse, horizontal.

I say "worse", because when the filaments are horizontal, they are not as resistant to vetical shock and when an upper filament breaks, it can drop down onto the lower filament and effectively join one electrical circuit with another. When this happens, funny things happen such as false transmission and transfer case failures being indicated, among other problems.

On my HSE, when I flick the left lever to flash the headlights, it is what I call the two High beam halogen bulbs that illuminate, not the "blue" HID low beam, (or main beam), round lens things that illuminate.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #6457867th May 2010 12:56 am
Daf

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Fair play all good stuff.

I took it to a backstreet mechanic that I know who's ex-Land Rover. Anyway, he replaced the rear brake light bulb there and then "it's a decent one, mun" and found out what the problem was with the lights. All the fuses were intact so he started to play about with the light switch and it began to work. Seems to have been a contact problem and after flicking it on and off a few times it now works. He's servicing it next week and will pull the switch apart to see if he can find out what the problem is/ clean it out.

Post #6460607th May 2010 4:56 pm
Alan G

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A new switch is approx £30 ish from TLO on here. Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member2459.html
 ATB

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bonzo676767#p/u 

Post #6460847th May 2010 5:38 pm
Daf

Alan G wrote:
A new switch is approx £30 ish from TLO on here. Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member2459.html

I've dealt with this gentleman before..................

Fair play, he's bl00dy great!

I'm hoping that wd40 and a wire brush will do the trick! At least I'm not looking at two Xenon lights so £30 isn't that painful.

Thanks Alan. May be speaking to "The Large One" soon.

Post #6461197th May 2010 6:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >