Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

There IS a problem with MY 3.0 litre TDV6 engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 15 <123 ... 131415>
Russell

United Kingdom 

Gents
I have been in comunication with JK for soemtime now as my D4 HSE has exactly the same issue. I have also been in contact with LR and they have confirmed that there is an issue. I first reported the issue in the later part of December 2009 and this was uped to LR technical in the first week of March 2010. The car has been inseveral times and I have also produced video fotage via the suround camera system. Further more I have also been stopped by the police on two occasions and warned for the considerable smoke from the rear.
LR have repeatidly confirmed and agreed that there is an issue and they are working on a cure.
In Australia LR Australia have also agreed there is an issue and have changed at least two turbos which has cured the issue.

LR admit there is a fault with D4 and RRS 3.0ltr engines but appear to be dragging there feet. I have seen several 3.0ltr LR's over the last month doing exactly the same, large clouds of blue smoke from the exausts under acceleration following steady driving for a period of time, he smoke also issues when accelerating hard from stand still.

Perhaps a few other D4 owners should try this and get family to see f the car smokes or alternatiley put the rear camera on, drive for a few miles at a steady pace and then floor it and see what happens.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69762227th Sep 2010 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Surely if you are getting stopped by the police it's time to reject the car or get a replacement til it is finally fixed?

Post #69762327th Sep 2010 9:28 pm
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Your post says it all Russell. Thank you.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #69762427th Sep 2010 9:29 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I repeat, there is a fault (obviously) with SOME 3.0V6 engines........

Post #69762527th Sep 2010 9:29 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Is yours using lots of oil too Russell?

Post #69762627th Sep 2010 9:30 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I agree,however as yet all I have had is verbal warnings and LR do not believe a verbal warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been told I cannot reject the car as I have had it too long.

Does anyone know how to post video photage on here, if so you might be very shocked with what you see.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69762727th Sep 2010 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Mine does not use a huge amount of oil, hweer I did go through a couple of weeks about two months ago when it suddenly used a ver large amount of oil but this has now stopped.

As for the comment about some 3.0 engines have a fault, LR have confirmed it is a problem that effects a large number of vehicles/engines. My dealer is aware of several themselves.
D4 camera club 

Post #69763027th Sep 2010 9:34 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

This has happend with my 3.0 both times I have given it the full boot and both times after a steady take-off but then unexpectedly having to get moving as quickly as possible. Each time was after a short stop after several hours of driving at a steady 100-110kph. There was a continuous huge smoke-screen as the vehicle slowly got up to speed with my foot still flat to the floor, with the smoke only reducing and slowly dissapearing once crusing again. Each time, the gearbox had to change down after take-off then hunted about looking for a gear and finally settling on a high gear, perhaps due to very little power being produced.

The Q093 update was soon to be done when it happend the 1st time but it also happend after the update. My vehicle does not have a DPF so no filter to clean.

Post #69763627th Sep 2010 9:41 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ive not had this problem with My D4 and I do have to accelerate pretty quicky to pull out across oncoming traffic and right on the dual carriageway when leaving home.

On the oil front - I tested by oil after 500 miles and it registered half full. I thought perhaps this was normal and left if until 2000 (testing before every journey) and after 2000 miles the level was showing minimum. I topped it up with 1 litre which then returned the level to Full. ive now done 4600 miles and its still showing full.

So, it was definatly burning oil in the early days (or leaking) but the level has been fine for the last 2000 miles.

So to cut a long story short !! - did the oil run too low in the early days because it wasnt checked and damage the engine ??

just a thought..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 27th Sep 2010 9:51 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #69764027th Sep 2010 9:45 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Mine does not have a DPF either and tarted off like yours, but it is steadily getting worse.
D4 camera club 

Post #69764127th Sep 2010 9:45 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Russell wrote:
Does anyone know how to post video photage on here, if so you might be very shocked with what you see.

I would be very interested to see it .. You can bung it on YouTube and stick a link on here ... Is it a big file .. And in what format?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #69764827th Sep 2010 9:54 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Wiggs it is on my mobile phone, if you can pm me an e mail address I will send you a copy as I have done to JK.

As for the oil being allowed to run low, I check it weekly and it has never really used any apart from about two months ago when it used approximatley 2 liters in two weeks, then stopped and now back to virtually no loss.
D4 camera club 

Post #69765127th Sep 2010 9:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Wiggs have sent a couple of videos have you got them?
D4 camera club 

Post #69765827th Sep 2010 10:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think that is definitly smoke, not condensation DG. If it below freezing then maybe you would a similar amount of steam, but it looks like a nice warm day when those photo's were taken.

As a piece of added info, my 1st D3 did this on a couple of occasions. Once was on the 'Wild Wales Weekend' that Vince Cobley organised (Via BN) waaay back in October 2005. Our venerable leader Martin was following me in his Defender up the Wayfarer, and after a considerable amount of low speed work he called me on the radio to tell me my car was smoking.

It cleared and it never did it again until years later in a similar situation. That car went onto 126k miles with me and never failed or used much oil.

It wasn't as bad as those photo's though Confused

Post #69766727th Sep 2010 10:24 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Russells video

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #69766827th Sep 2010 10:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 15 <123 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >