DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

There IS a problem with MY 3.0 litre TDV6 engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 15 <123 4 ... 131415>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Gareth wrote:
I think that is definitly smoke, not condensation DG. If it below freezing then maybe you would a similar amount of steam, but it looks like a nice warm day when those photo's were taken.

Seeing the video and reading Russells comments I now agree Thumbs Up ....though many of us have experienced the tick over condensation effect even on summer mornings.

Can anyone establish if there's any long term damage ..... or is there none and its a case of waiting for the fix?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #69767027th Sep 2010 10:42 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Russell, you're not a member of the Red Arrows are you? That video has some pretty close parallels with their displays!

Do you happen to know if the inter-cooler has been checked for oil build-up from a leaking turbo seal? If there's a fair bit in there then under full throttle some of the oil could be atomised and sucked in to be burnt in the engine. I had this happen on an old Volvo (212,000 miles on the clock though...) and the 'fix' was to drain the inter-cooler to give another 40,000 odd miles of smoke free driving.

Have you had a friendly mechanic try the diesel engine tests that are used in the MOT (without actually requesting an MOT of course; dangerous ground if they fail it?) to see if the engine is within Euro5 specification? If it's already failing that, then perhaps you have good grounds to reject the car as the engine isn't fit for purpose.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #69767527th Sep 2010 11:05 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

wiggs wrote:
Russells video

You will probably have someone asking (on YouTube) what mods you did to get the car to wheelspin at speed Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post #69767627th Sep 2010 11:15 pm
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Apologies for the flippant comment, but the combo of smoke and the fact you appear to be doing about 200mph reminded me of THIS gobsmacking piece of video. 8)

Good luck getting it sorted guys. Whistle Embarassed Smile

Post #69768127th Sep 2010 11:37 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

another video from Russell

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #69768728th Sep 2010 12:21 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Videos were all filmed at approximately 40 mph and foot to floor acceleration. That is about the average smoke but it can be a lot worse or much less.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69770828th Sep 2010 8:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

wiggs wrote:
Russells video

Cheers Adrian Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69771028th Sep 2010 8:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

I booted mine last night pulling away from junction - got smoke - but appear to get very little (if any) on normal use.
Oil consumption is about zero - I check it every week - compared to the D3 which (initially) used it faster than I could put it in.
I remember TFC commenting once when I was asking about a re-map on my D3 - all diesels smoke if you boot them like a petrol car - need progressive throttle.
Going into delaers tomorrow to get a dash rattle sorted, so I have asked them to have a look

Post #69773328th Sep 2010 10:27 am
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

An update from Land Rover today. They are hoping to do something to my car in the dealership next week to help reduce the problem temporarily, ahead of the official fix coming at the end of the month. Fingers crossed.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #69774228th Sep 2010 11:03 am
mash tattie

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi 747jk

I cannot believe that this is still an ongoing issue for you, It is outrageous that you have parted with the best part of £50k and you have a vehicle that looks like it has a bonfire coming from it.

Have you spoke to the dealer principle on this matter? I know they only sell the product but they do have a considerable amount of say when it comes to defective vehicles.

If i was you i would write a letter immediately addressed to the dealer principle stating the following: the amount of times and dates that it has been back to the dealer to address the problem but to no avail, state that under the sale of goods act Landrover should be providing a vehicle of satisfactory quality and free from minor defects and fit for purpose.You also need to mention the significant inconvenience and cost that this has caused you. Finally you need to make your position clear by stating that if this problem is not rectified with the next visit to the dealer then you will reject the vehicle.

This letter needs to be sent before the next visit. You have paid for a prestigious quality vehicle and that is what you should have.

Good luck

Post #69790128th Sep 2010 7:50 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Temporary fix that springs to mind is a Full Fat Range Rover Vogue SE from LR fleet - not an enterprise car Whistle

As for mileage and age being a barrier to replacement, I disagree 53,500 miles on mine IIRC when it went back.
I may be a LR fan, but there is no excuse for poor customer service and being taken for a ride.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #69794328th Sep 2010 9:23 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

90 are you saying that you rejected one with 53000 miles on the clock?
D4 camera club 

Post #69799128th Sep 2010 10:38 pm
X1/9

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have the same issue with my D4 and have had it back to the dealer on several occasions, but they can never reproduce the fault!!! Although they have now admitted that Land rover accept that this is a problem with some 3.0 engines.
Over the last nine months the problem has gone from an occasional burst of blue smoke on fairly heavy acceleration to almost daily blue smoke with just moderate acceleration. On one occasion I pulled out to pass two cyclists and there was so much smoke that they actually stopped rather than follow through the smoke. Embarassed
I find that the problem usually occurs when I have driven for some distance and then stop for a short time, when I set off again and accelerate out of a junction particularly if the road is on a slight incline.
I have also noticed a decrease in power and higher fuel consumption, I am now averaging 23 mpg instead of the 28 mpg I was getting.
I just hope that the engineers come up with an answer sooner rather than later.

Post #6990691st Oct 2010 11:02 pm
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Interesting X1/9. Seems Russell and I are not alone then:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic55830.html

I wonder how many D4s there are out there with this smoke problem? I stress that as it is quite clearly not widespread to every engine, Land Rover really shouldn't be making us wait months (as we all seem to have been) for a fix.

These cars - all less than a year old - should have been taken straight back into the dealers and received a new engine under warranty. Am still staggered that this has not happened. Its hardly a good example of customer service to the countless people who browse this forum (as I did) pondering over whether or not to take the risk about buy a LR!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #6990761st Oct 2010 11:41 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

747_JK wrote:
These cars - all less than a year old - should have been taken straight back into the dealers and received a new engine under warranty.

Just speculating, but if the cause is a build-up of oil in the inlet tract from the 2nd turbo being closed-off and the low pressure is drawing oil through the turbo's seals then replacing the engine won't help. However the duration of the smoke-blowing and coughing and spluttering by mine suggests that an awful lot of oil is being burnt and that its more than a residue, rather like quite a pool of oil that's accumulated somewhere, perhaps in the bottom of the intercooler, but still originating from somewhere.

Post #6990912nd Oct 2010 1:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 15 <123 4 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >