DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

New low cost Diagnostic Tool from BBS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 45 <123 45 ... 434445>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Fifth Horseman

In short: yes, The next upgrade we release for the Evolution will have the Disco 3 on the menu, and you would just need to purchase the license / Unlock codes and the new lead.

Post #109076319th Apr 2013 5:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up - glad I didn't sell mine when I sold the Defender

Post #109082819th Apr 2013 7:25 pm
santiD3

Spain 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi BBS

Thumbs Up

every day I work with MSV-2 tools, I can see the possibilities it has and the hard work that is behind Bow down

Post #109106520th Apr 2013 8:12 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Fifth Horseman

It was very touch and go, and actually took a lot of effort, time and hard work, but by producing externally callable core processes to handle all the most common functions, this will make apps so small, we should hopefully be able to add many Can Bus vehicle systems to the Nanocom Evolution.

I am as happy as you that we have managed to make this as an inclusive aspect rather than an alternate.

santiD3.
You are not alone in this eventual appreciation of the hard work that has gone into our systems
It typically takes quite some time for investors / owners of our equipment to fully discover all the capability and functionality it actually provides.

But I would much rather produce equipment with capability beyond expectation as opposed to equipment with expectation beyond capability.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 26th Apr 2013 4:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #109124820th Apr 2013 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
santiD3

Spain 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Agree Thumbs Up

Post #109368024th Apr 2013 10:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers santiD3

Actually, i have to tell you all that yesterday afternoon i had a real epiphany moment that me and my team think is simply mind blowing and will make the way that the Nanocom Evolutions covers all CAN BUS vehicles and their systems significantly more advanced.

I appreciate that this will not mean much to some, but for those who may follow it:

After checking out the Service reset function that had just been completed, and in respect of our current testing the Flashing test function, i started re discussing with my development team the absolute need and any more possible ways we could make the Nanocom Apps for all the CAN BUS Vehicles and all their systems, as small as possible, so we can ultimately get more on and cover the most vehicles and vehicle systems possible within the storage constraints of the Hardware.
But even if we offload some common functions, they have their own graphics pages, included libraries and a fair amount of code that must be included, albeit that this code will be the same in all the apps. With 25 ECU's for the Disco 3 alone this would mean 25 Apps as well as a menu for them.

However then i had the epiphany moment.

The MSV-2 and Nanocom Evolution, like most diagnostic systems have menus from which you select the vehicle model and then the ECU, ultimately then having a screen of functions and in the background running a Module or App that is entirely dedicated to that ECU.

This is because they were originally designed to work on vehicles where each vehicle ECU was produced by different supplies and each had absolutely no diagnostic communication / functional standardization to other ECU's.

However all the CAN BUS ECU's do have a very high degree of standardization.

So instead of producing menuing leading to the running of lots of apps for each vehicle and it's systems as we have always done and worry about trying to make them small enough to get as many as possible on the unit, The entirely new thinking is to produce a handful of bigger functionally oriented apps that provide the same if not better functionality regardless of the vehicle or system.

To hopefully simplify and explain how this will look and work in laymans terms.

The main menu of the Nanocom Evolution will still have the same Legacy Vehicles listed, like the Disco 2 and P38, where you select the Model and then the ECU. But rather than add options for D3 and D4 etc to this Menu . It will instead have a single option for all CAN BUS vehicles.

When selected, you will have a number of options like Fault Codes, Basic settings, ECU flashing, CCF editing, Service Resting, Adaptive Resetting, EAS functions, Park Brake Functions Etc.

If for example you select Fault Codes, you will be given buttons to read Tested, Not Tested, Permanent, Intermittent and so on. But you will also be given a Configure option that when selected, if you are licensed to access the connected vehicle, will give you a list of all applicable ECU's for that vehicle.

You will be able to configure the function to select / de select for any combination you wish, anywhere from one particular ECU to all ECU's and save this.
For convenience there will also be select all / De select all buttons

When selecting any read faults option, the function will only read fault codes for the ECU's selected in the current configuration.

All other functions will also have the same configure ability or work regardless of Model or ECU, EG Flashing and CCF editing.

This will not only reduce the usage of the storage to a mere fraction of that otherwise expected, but also save huge amounts of time and effort in adding new models and ECU's on the Evolution.

Things just took a huge quantum leap forward

ATB

Colin

Post #109461826th Apr 2013 5:46 pm
johnlr2

England 

Good thinking Colin,hopefully it all works out and new models are added rapidly.Look forward to increasing my Nanocoms capabilities.
Bg
John

Post #109463126th Apr 2013 5:58 pm
Markmein

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Looking forward to seeing the product, and adding what is sounding like to muts nuts it to my tool set.

Post #109544728th Apr 2013 12:07 pm
Kummu24

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Colin

How far away is this from coming to market?

Post #109574428th Apr 2013 9:51 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

That's a really hard question to answer with any accuracy kummu24.

Software development of this type, where you have to interact with Vehicle systems is very unpredictable and can throw up many unexpected and very time consuming problems.

However, i believe that my recent epiphany will save a lot of time, we have most of the big stuff done and the new Guy i put on this is now really getting quite competent with it.

Unfortunately when i wrote my last Post on this thread just over a week ago, we had just closed for our Easter and we wont open until the day after tomorrow.

Hopefully my Guys will return all refreshed and raring to go and we can make a big push towards at least having a beta test version in the near future.

Post #10997686th May 2013 3:50 pm
Kummu24

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the reply. Undertstand the difficulty in forecasting given where it seems you are in development. To be honest I had (obviously) hoped it was more imminent but its definitely more important to get it right than to rush a product to market that isn't as you would want it to be.

Look forward to seeing the finished results. Thanks again

Post #11007948th May 2013 7:33 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Of course it is only natural to hope that developments go faster than they do and things come to market very quickly.
No one could posiibly have that same hope and sentiment more than me Whistle

But as many know from our MSV-2 system, it may well take some time, but we do very much deliver the goods.

In this case the goods have never been so desirable, as being Microcontroller based, the Nanocom Evolution is a very solid, stable and dependable platform, with a proven history and giving almost no real operational variant between what we test here and field test results. Once written and tested, the functions provided will work flawlessly.

And our having already provided this functionality with our MSV-2 means we already know all the pit falls and what if's to get it right first time.

For example, about 18 Months back, we added coverage of the P38 Range Rover to the Nanocom Evolution. A total of 14 vehicle systems, all old, and about as odd, diverse and awkward as you could possibly get, and all fully covered to the maximum diagnostic capability the vehicle systems can provide. I can count the amount of things that did not quite work as expected and needed a little software tweaking on one hand.

I make no bones about it. Everyone on this forum knows who we are, our level of expertise, what we do and just how well we do it. We are no strangers to competition

But no matter if it takes us a few weeks or months to develop, test and introduce this, i am absolutely certain that when availiable, it will quickly become the must have tool for all owners.

Post #11012479th May 2013 6:05 pm
lr101fc

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
diagnostics tools

Hi Colin,

we have a 2005 Discovery 3 and a 2011 Freelander 2

what would be the best diagnostics tool/options which would cover both vehicles ?

I have some errors on the Discovery 3, I need to resolve, however the Freelander currently is OK

thanks

Regards

Robin
 MY05 Discovery 3 G4 LRG4C-14 Stage 3 & 4 Bolivia Team Fleet 49
05HF95 Trailer 3/4 Ton 2 WHD
31FK70 Truck, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4, LHD, Rover Series 1
69ER52 Truck, GS, 1/4 Ton, 4x4 Rover 8
75FL40 Truck, GS, 24v w/winch 1T 4x4 LHD Launcher Towing Rapier Rover 

Post #111018129th May 2013 7:21 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Robin

There are Three options we provide you will need to choose from depending on your current and future needs.

The first is the MSV-2 in either Extreme form or Nano Form. the prior Extreme version costing only a little more that the Nano but providing the capability to read and clear Fault codes on vehicles in stand alone mode, IE without a PC.

The MSV-2 has a well and hard earned reputation for being the absolute ultimate diagnostic equipment for any and all Land Rover Vehicles, providing capability and functionality that is and always has been simply unmatched.

Currently, although D3 coverage is beyond imagination, however due to reports of problems with Freelander 2 vehicles we have currently withdrawn this vehicle as a supported model, but we do expect to re introduce this very soon. You can put both vehicles on the same hardware

The second is the Faultmate FCR.
Although this stand alone device simply provides only Fault code reading and clearing and is only availiable in SV, Meaning you would need to purchase one for the D3 and then another later for the FL2, when re introduced as it currently is also withdrawn for the same reason, it is a simpy stunning device that is ridiculously quick and simpe to use.

The third is of course now the Nanocom Evolution which is still in it's development stages.

It will cover both vehicles on the same unit and will also provide functionality somewhere between the MSV-2 and FCR

Post #111063630th May 2013 6:38 pm
lr101fc

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
diagnostics tools

Thanks Colin for the comprehensive reply, very good information.
 MY05 Discovery 3 G4 LRG4C-14 Stage 3 & 4 Bolivia Team Fleet 49
05HF95 Trailer 3/4 Ton 2 WHD
31FK70 Truck, Utility, 1/2 Ton, 4x4, LHD, Rover Series 1
69ER52 Truck, GS, 1/4 Ton, 4x4 Rover 8
75FL40 Truck, GS, 24v w/winch 1T 4x4 LHD Launcher Towing Rapier Rover 

Post #11113121st Jun 2013 12:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 45 <123 45 ... 434445>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >