Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Help. Replacement engine options, what to do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
_Chris

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Help. Replacement engine options, what to do?

Following on from the breakdown in France http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic149214.html the car will be back in the UK in a couple of weeks so I need to decide quickly which route to take if, as expected, it needs a new engine. My warranty will contribute up to £5,000

It is a 2010 HSE with 55,000 miles (LR service history apart from last service.)

The options so far;

1) Local Independent LR garage to supply and fit new engine from LR, quoted estimate £14,000 fitted

Pros, Brand new engine, should have years of life cons. £9,000 out of pocket

2) East London/Essex type multi-marque, fit replacement engine advertised as "reconditioned" but who knows? c. £4,500 all in.

Pros and cons are fairly obvious!

3) Reputable (looking) rebuilt engine with new bearings etc. that are supposedly difficult to get c. £6,000 +fitting Might be a good compromise of quality/cost?

4) LR main dealer. Likely to be the most expensive but possible goodwill contribution?

I'm really confused as to the best option and running out of time to nominate where to have the car delivered to!

Any advice or suggestions appreciated Thumbs Up

[/url]

Post #169847631st Aug 2016 11:10 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Forget two and three and flip a coin. Very Happy
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #169848031st Aug 2016 11:26 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

What's it worth to sell as a non-runner?

On finance or owned outright?

I'd be thinking about getting rid if I was going to have to shell out £9k for a new engine but obviously depends on above.

Post #169848131st Aug 2016 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

As Bill says forget 2 & 3 - don't even consider these options.

Have you fully explored a contribution from JLR - although difficult as last service was by an indy ?

An alternative you haven't mentioned is acquiring a second hand engine with a known history, possibly Discovery, but more likely Jaguar.

The expert is Disco Mikey, and engines are often sourced from EuroJag.

Search the forum there are a number of relevant threads in addition to these:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic143497.html

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic134307.htm

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #169848231st Aug 2016 11:46 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If it's helpful, I (or more importantly, my warranty company) paid just over £10K to the main dealer I go to to replace the engine with one direct from LR (with no contribution), so £14K for an indy sounds v expensive.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #169852231st Aug 2016 1:50 pm
_Chris

Thanks for the ideas so far.

As for selling now, a 2011 Commercial with a seized engine has just sold on eBay for £8,640 with 330k miles, so mine should have some value above this. I bought it a year ago for £28,000 and it has £15,000 of finance left so I would still be looking at £5k just to walk away and obviously couldn't use the warranty contribution.

Given that when fixed, it will still have a further two year's warranty then it probably seems sensible to go for a new engine but to shop around and see if there's any goodwill possibility.

I've been told by two garages that the list price for the engine from LR is £9,800 +vat, add on 20+ hours, add on the extra hoses, gaskets etc and it's not hard to get to £14k

Post #169853831st Aug 2016 2:23 pm
al cope

England 

just for comparisson, stick your reg into webuyanycar and see what they value it at as a runner (I know they are not great but it will give you some idea). Hopefully for you it will still be worth more than the 15k it owes. A quick search on Autotrader shows 2010 HSE's asking 17.4k to just shy of 20k, OK most with a lot more miles on than yours, so you are in negative territory whichever way you look at it as your finance plus new engine is going to put you funding something well north of 20k which the car isnt worth (in the short term). I think I'd be tempted to replace the engine and run it to as many miles as I could (150k plus), so that by that time the pain of the expense will have subsided a bit.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #169856831st Aug 2016 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
_Chris

And that's the dilemma.

-Fix it using a LR engine and I get my car back, but have to pay the best part of £10k

-Go for the risky option (up to £5k is paid by the warranty) and then bail out and probably lose a similar amount when it comes to selling or p/ex

Either way it's a Censored

Post #169857931st Aug 2016 4:24 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

have you a firm idea of whats gone wrong...until you know that I don't think you can make a firm decision....if the crank has snapped....like many others..surely at your mileage its back to landrover
if the shells have turned surely that's a well known as well.
as I understand it these are design faults and can appear at anytime..and very little mileage as in your case....cant understand how landrover can deny you some good size help.

likewise ...if its one of the above is it not as simple as rebuilding the lower end....I assume the remainder of the engine survives such a failure

Post #169858131st Aug 2016 4:31 pm
_Chris

LR Customer Services will only consider the situation once it has gone to a main dealer and had a proper diagnosis which stands to reason. It would seem sensible to let them look at it and go from there rather than jump the gun.

If the worst is confirmed, then WBAC is coming in at £18k so in theory a back street fix would not see me have to put my hand in my pocket and I could walk away with £3,000. Figure that against having to pay out £10,000 and still only having £3,000 equity in the thing.

Big Cry Censored

Post #169859731st Aug 2016 5:06 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ignore ,,/remove these posts plz Fone having a fit
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Last edited by Randylover on 31st Aug 2016 5:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #169862031st Aug 2016 5:43 pm
Randylover

I did number 2
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #169862231st Aug 2016 5:43 pm
Randylover

I did number 2

Mods:

Post #169862531st Aug 2016 5:45 pm
Randylover

right try again now on laptop

i did number 2 8)

i know what the general opinion is of it but at the time i had little option
it came with a 6 month unlimited warranty as long as it was run as advised and the oil was changed after 500 miles by a reputable garage and the proof provided to the supplier
i needed to get the car back working and it was the only feasable solution to me
i was off the road loosing money fast and needed it back quick

since having it done 3 years ago approx it hasn't missed a beat,
and it has covered 60000 miles in that time with no issue whatsoever
i know i took a chance but you take a chance with any second hand engine regardless of the blurb

with the cost of the engine and the loss of earnings for the month i was off road i effectively lost £10000

this takes some recovery

so i took the option that was affordable
and for me it worked

bring on the doom slayers Very Happy Yawn

Cheers

Andy

Mods:

Post #169866431st Aug 2016 7:26 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Randylover

Glad to read the above. Can you recommend the supplier - if so details would not go amiss.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #169867731st Aug 2016 7:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >