Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Upper rear tailgate will not open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
cayman6

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Pumpkin in answer to your questions a) YES YOU CAN b) yes as you can give the said mechanic the printed off repair instructions to follow . Just need to look for a mech with reasonable hourly labour rates .
 TONGA GREEN TDV6 S MANUAL
STAINLESS STEEL PROTECTION TUBES
19" HSE ALLOYS
PRIVACY GLASS
G4 DECALS

RRS'S ARE DISCO'S IN DRAG 

Post #3976426th Jan 2009 9:49 pm
Pumpkin

France 

Hi Cayman 6, Thank you for your vote of confidence Very Happy . I've ordered the part, which was interesting as I don't know the LR own technical terms here in France, but after explaining what I wanted the guy said it must be the one with the cables rather than the one without Whistle .
Anyway, it costs €36, so I think we're on the right track. I will try to do all this at the weekend and if you see me coming back on here shouting, screaming and finally begging for mercy you'll know that I'm having a problem or two!
Thanks again for the brilliant technical advice on this forum! Thumbs Up

Post #3978937th Jan 2009 8:41 am
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you follow these steps in line with the graphics on the previous download sheet you will be fine.

You will need at least three bicycle tyre levers, long nose pliers a Hex socket set and a decent torx set/driver to remove latch asembly.

insert tyre levers into top edge of lower trim where it curves into an "s" shape. sort of dead central on the rear trim. prise upwards slowly and you will feel the tyre level "bite" the edge of the carpet.. slowly and with greater force insert the other levers and the carpet trim will "pop" out from under the trim... use levers to slowly work the carpet panel out. You will not be able to remove this fully... once this is done use a torch and "look inside" you will see a grey foam membrane stuck to the door panel... pull this off. ( I was able to resuse mine as its very sticky) you will see the Actuator case ( Gold Colour... plated finish like an anodised/cadnium plating) you will see a black cable coming out of the end the case "lid" is clipped over this cable... use a long screwdriver to pop this off and push it back out of the way... it is screwed on the other end but bends enough to get through.

Now the tricky bit.... small hands are a requirement.... push your hand down into the gap and feel under the actuator case where the lid has been removed.... this is underneath and you need to have the back of your hand "into the car" and the palm facing outwards....you will be able to feel the loose cable... pull this outside of the case and use pliers to PULL... the upper tailgate will then pop open....the rest is easy ish... follow the instrutions in the download on this string.... basically remove the trim screw covers and screws, disconnet the wires that hold the lower tail gate... put a cloth or someting on the bumper to protect paint... remove upper and rear trims.... undo the actuator case bolts unplug it from the electrics and pull it free... you will need a torx type driver to undo the latch... mine was done up pretty tight and i needed a power driver to undo... then reconnect the cable... this bit is obvious... again see the detail in the download!

then reassemble........ easy and around two hours @ £95 PH labour saved.... very satisfying!!

good luck!
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #3980137th Jan 2009 1:49 pm
gesoono

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Did this job last weekend, took 2 hours.
1.5 hours to remove the carpet.....you just need to be brave, it does "pop" out. Good Luck.
 Fuji White, Auto with Surround Camera  
Post #3995009th Jan 2009 5:05 pm
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Feckin Censored ........wife has just come in saying 'the tailgate wont open'......

Guess what I will be doing on Sunday then..... Evil or Very Mad

Post #40341616th Jan 2009 2:38 pm
DaveVX

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mine now comes up with the message "TAILGATE OPEN"

it happens when you unlock all the doors from the key fob

its neither open or correctly closed its sort of inbetween

so its off to the dealer in a couple of weeks time.

Post #40346916th Jan 2009 4:41 pm
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

KevF wrote:
Feckin Censored ........wife has just come in saying 'the tailgate wont open'......

Guess what I will be doing on Sunday then..... Evil or Very Mad

Hope you've got small hands then -mine proved too big but the wounds have healed now
 Richard  
Post #40354016th Jan 2009 6:32 pm
Pumpkin

France 
DONE IT!

Right guys, I've just done it, but it has almost cost me my marriage!!!! Anyway, it took us about 1 hr to open the tailgate and I will probably spend this week looking after my hands and letting the bruises fade and wounds heal.... Wink
The directions were very good, THANKS A LOT! I've got a wonderful sense of achievement now. Very Happy

All the best,
Pumpkin

Post #40445818th Jan 2009 1:49 pm
KevF

Ok spent half hour in the back of the car and couldnt get it...My bunch of sausages that weakly pass for hands couldnt get up behind the panel..... Evil or Very Mad

Right...so there is no way I am going to take it to Hunters in Norwich as I may as well drop my trousers in the city on a Friday and wait to be shafted....
Peter Scott Land Rovers have told the wife that it will take most of one day even two and there is a possibility they may break the trim panel. Now the concern is that we would then be left with a bill for the repair plus the cost of the replacement panel.

Surely it cant take nearly two days to do it !!!!!!!

Has anyone got any part reference numbers of what is needed to repair this? What am I asking for exactly...I shall go into Hunter's Parts department tomorrow and hopefully have another try on Tuesday. Wife has said with the kids out the way she may be able to get her hand in there.

Kev

Post #40472218th Jan 2009 9:31 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My land rover dealer in elgin morayshire frank Ogg did it in 2 hours encluding valet, Thumbs Up
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #40476018th Jan 2009 10:05 pm
Pumpkin

France 

KevF wrote:
Ok spent half hour in the back of the car and couldnt get it...My bunch of sausages that weakly pass for hands couldnt get up behind the panel..... Evil or Very Mad

Right...so there is no way I am going to take it to Hunters in Norwich as I may as well drop my trousers in the city on a Friday and wait to be shafted....
Peter Scott Land Rovers have told the wife that it will take most of one day even two and there is a possibility they may break the trim panel. Now the concern is that we would then be left with a bill for the repair plus the cost of the replacement panel.

Has anyone got any part reference numbers of what is needed to repair this? What am I asking for exactly...I shall go into Hunter's Parts department tomorrow and hopefully have another try on Tuesday. Wife has said with the kids out the way she may be able to get her hand in there.

Kev

Hi Kev,
Hubby and I managed it when he actually hung on the trim panel in sheer frustration and thus gave me enough space to get my fingers in a position to get the cable out. I was really worried that he was going to break the panel, but it held. Can't your wife try? Maybe her hands are smaller. Having said all that, even if you break the trim panel it would still be cheaper to replace that as well than go to LR to have it done I think.
I've just dug out the wrapping of the part and the numbers are as follows: FQR 500220 and then underneath 68 Rm8 A0452692 G977A . But I think the part no. must be the first one. And another thing, when you get the part it's actually the lock of the lower tailgate with a cable attached to it, and NOT the lift actuator that you are replacing. Hubby was worried that we got the wrong part, but I was confident that the guys on here couldn't have it wrong and I figured out how to do it.
Good luck,
Pumpkin

Post #40493519th Jan 2009 7:53 am
Sunny Leith

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My tailgate wouldnt open last week took it to the garage cost me £50 plus vat to fix.

Being a "girl" and not understanding anything you guys are writing about Bow down . I thought that was the easiest thing to do Rolling with laughter

Post #40497819th Jan 2009 11:14 am
davesimmons

Canada 

nothing to do with being a girl............ I haven't a clue what they are all on about Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #40498319th Jan 2009 11:25 am
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

KevF wrote:

Kev

Hi Kev,

I did it in about two hours... including reassembly. so no it should not take two days!

do you have access to a child around 10/11 years old... niece/neighbour/son/daughter..... whilst i held the panel with one hand my 12 year old son was able to work his hand in and get the cable end... i was then able to get a grip on it with long nose pliers........ This job needs very small hands to succeed...

when you pull on the handle can you still hear the actuator working?? if so its the lower tail gate latch assembly you need... comes with the cable and costs 22 quid..
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #40506319th Jan 2009 1:42 pm
KevF

Pumpkin wrote:

Hi Kev,
Hubby and I managed it when he actually hung on the trim panel in sheer frustration and thus gave me enough space to get my fingers in a position to get the cable out. I was really worried that he was going to break the panel, but it held. Can't your wife try? Maybe her hands are smaller. Having said all that, even if you break the trim panel it would still be cheaper to replace that as well than go to LR to have it done I think.
I've just dug out the wrapping of the part and the numbers are as follows: FQR 500220 and then underneath 68 Rm8 A0452692 G977A . But I think the part no. must be the first one. And another thing, when you get the part it's actually the lock of the lower tailgate with a cable attached to it, and NOT the lift actuator that you are replacing. Hubby was worried that we got the wrong part, but I was confident that the guys on here couldn't have it wrong and I figured out how to do it.
Good luck,
Pumpkin

Pumpkin,
Many thanks for that. The part number came in useful as the Parts guy said he had never heard of the problem..!!! yeah right. They had one in stock for £22.50 so seems to be the same.
Hopefully my wife is going to be able to reach inside whilst I do the 'manly' bit and break the trim...LOL
Thanks again.

Twizzle wrote:

Hi Kev,

I did it in about two hours... including reassembly. so no it should not take two days!

do you have access to a child around 10/11 years old... niece/neighbour/son/daughter..... whilst i held the panel with one hand my 12 year old son was able to work his hand in and get the cable end... i was then able to get a grip on it with long nose pliers........ This job needs very small hands to succeed...

when you pull on the handle can you still hear the actuator working?? if so its the lower tail gate latch assembly you need... comes with the cable and costs 22 quid..

Yeah just what I thought....2 days my Censored ...LOL
I can hear the actuator working when presing the keyfob unlock. Also when I hold down the lock/unlock buttons on the dash.
So is this the same part that Pumpkin has posted?

Cheers for all the help so far..

Kev

Post #40521619th Jan 2009 6:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >