Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

brief noise under load during acceleration - !!!update!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

you know this noise, do you hear/feel it as a result of bring the car up to a reasonable speed (sub 45mph but above 35mph) then after you ease your foot off the accelerator pedal just a small amount (as if yer going to coast) and then gently depress your foot on it again just to very gently ease the speed up Question

at that point, does the car feel as if its not really reacting to the pressure from the pedal and the car sounds as if it making a "droaning noise" Question

d'yer know what, should have read Lux post, Shocked

well I am pleased to say that if the above is you (and its worth following the above instructions on a smooth road surface with a very slight decline) there is nowt to worry about, mine has always made that droaning noise ever since I had him, only happens when I'm too gentle with the accelerator pedal and more or less just rest my foot on it as the d3 comes out of a slight incline, more noticeable when towing coz of the weight wanting to hold the d3 back with me only giving an inadequate amount of pressure on the gas pedal Whistle

put it down to one of the features of a D3 like the lag when you pull out from a side road, its just there Thumbs Up

Post #7411944th Jan 2011 9:48 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

character Thumbs Up

I think the problem is that I haven't had a problem for a year...so I'm looking for one Embarassed
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #7412184th Jan 2011 10:04 pm
character

I recon so, catches the best of us Rolling with laughter

so did you have the same symtoms as above Rolling Eyes

Post #7412944th Jan 2011 11:24 pm
JF Lux

character wrote:
so did you have the same symtoms as above

basically the same it seems. Although I also have it occuring at lower speeds as well. But when it appears (ie moving then foot off/foot on pedal etc) is consistent.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #7413715th Jan 2011 8:33 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It sounds to me like we are all describing the same symptom but in different ways.

The one consistent thing about it (in my case anyway,) is that it's definitely engine speed related, the vibration/noise occurs within a very narrow band of engine speed centred around 1500RPM, so the actual road speed when it happens depends on what gear you're in and how hard you're accelerating.

The other point is that, because it's a narrow band of revs where the resonance occurs, it frequently goes unnoticed because, in lower gears at least, the engine revs increase too quickly through that band and in normal steady driving, the engine speed will be above 1500 anyway.

I'm not trying to hog the thread here, just trying to clarify the "fault" / "Land Rover-ism" because I'm interested to know how many other have the same effect.
 Clive

Post #7414445th Jan 2011 11:36 am
character

from experience, when the auto box is in 3 or 4th gear. Its ok, there is no problem, to put it simply, imagine driving a manual car, you speed up to third then coast, then as the speed drops you just lightly press the accelarator - the car will sound the same as a way of telling you to drop a gear or in the case of an auto, put yer foot harder on the gas pedal - simple driving habit event, nowt wrong with yer d3 (as has been mentioned) just your driving technique Shocked Razz

Post #7414475th Jan 2011 11:43 am
Beefy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

crwoody wrote:
It sounds to me like we are all describing the same symptom but in different ways.

The one consistent thing about it (in my case anyway,) is that it's definitely engine speed related, the vibration/noise occurs within a very narrow band of engine speed centred around 1500RPM, so the actual road speed when it happens depends on what gear you're in and how hard you're accelerating.

The other point is that, because it's a narrow band of revs where the resonance occurs, it frequently goes unnoticed because, in lower gears at least, the engine revs increase too quickly through that band and in normal steady driving, the engine speed will be above 1500 anyway.

I'm not trying to hog the thread here, just trying to clarify the "fault" / "Land Rover-ism" because I'm interested to know how many other have the same effect.

Same here, a distinctive humming noise/low frequency resonance can be heard coming from the engine compartment, this only happens when the engine speed is about 1900 rpm and throttle is under part-load.
It started off when the car has done 2000 miles, I have checked as many underneath heat shields and mounts as I possibly could and they all seemed fine.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Beefy

Post #7414555th Jan 2011 11:51 am
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

750 miles from new and I've noticed the same is it/isn't it connundrum, including the sensation of something throbbing away from under the car, and in similar circumstances. Thing is, if you turn the radio off to listen to it, the sounds seem to go away so I wonder if there's some harmonisation going on with the subwoofer, wherever that happens to be located.

Mine also sounds a little bit "tappety" under gentle acceleration once the engine is warm and I think it's when the fan speed increases and the vents open fully - had similar experience with the XF although it wasn't a tappet sound, more of a electrical droning.
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #7417275th Jan 2011 7:20 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

crwoody wrote:

yep, drone noted on a specific stretch of road where i'm doing about 70kmh / 1400-1500 revs in 5th auto level, very light acceleration. I thought mybe exhaust resonance. Cure - always accelerate fast Very Happy
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #7419645th Jan 2011 11:21 pm
JF Lux

ok...so call it paranoia...but spent time listening and feeling out for it this morning...I don't think it is the same as Character describes...

Anyway, I'm going to forget about it now and just wait for the grear box to fall off Laughing

Post #7420546th Jan 2011 8:34 am
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

sorry a bit late back to this thread ( work will get in the way of life sometimes ! )

the problem on mine is not related to lift off
only around 1500 under relatively slow acceleration (esp under load - uphill and/or horse box)
noise on mine more evident in lower gears

any one noticed noise worse when engine cold ?

PS JF - good luck with forgetting about ( no chance for me it will eat away into my soul until sorted )
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #7420586th Jan 2011 8:55 am
Old Sailor

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have noticed the same when doing 40mph and 1500rpm along slight inclines. The noise goes away if I select 'sport' or as someone else suggested turns the radio off. It may be gearbox temperature related due to the cold weather we have been experiencing? Or the gearbox holding onto a higher gear, but just at the point where the next lower gear is really required.
I doubt it is anything to worry about. I do notice more noises after a 12 hour nightshift however!! Shocked
 Run silent, run deep!! HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Ocelot, Porpoise, Onslaught.

Oh Lord! send down a dove, with wings as sharp as razors.
To cut the throats of men, that sell bad beer to sailors.

VIN 138A476*** 

Post #7420666th Jan 2011 9:26 am
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

dealers next week for mine

Arrow will make you aware of developments
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #7428237th Jan 2011 3:03 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Whatever it is, mine does it as well for the past 12 months. It happens for a brief second or two under load, and I can also feel it as well. To me it reminds me a bit of a "fan belt" slipping type kind of noise, i'm no expert but I would say it was transmission related
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #7428427th Jan 2011 3:24 pm
Old Sailor

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a scowling type noise which is only heard from the driving side, not the passenger's. I get it at low spead and low gears around town. Its probably there all the time, but maybe other noises mask it? I'm thinking exhaust manifold or intercooler pipe. I have no loss of power and its been there since I bought the D3 in August. A silly question, but any ideas?? Bow down
 Run silent, run deep!! HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Ocelot, Porpoise, Onslaught.

Oh Lord! send down a dove, with wings as sharp as razors.
To cut the throats of men, that sell bad beer to sailors.

VIN 138A476*** 

Post #7428607th Jan 2011 3:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >