Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing Hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 38 <123 ... 131415 ... 363738>
jh972

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,
Yes, I had looked at yours. Difference is that I needed the height. I can make so I can use a towing eye, but you'd have to watch any sideways load. I can still use the normal hitch for normal trailers, where ground clearance isn't a problem.
A second one would be closer to the bumper and have better departure angle, and be lighter.

Anyway, Caver D3's one looks like solving all problems.
All I'd do to it is maybe take the top off. It does move the fulcum point further away from the rear axle though, but small price to pay.

Post #21626518th Oct 2007 7:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Caver - great news. Looks great!

I'm concerned about the clearance tho - for a Tregg coupling - ie. if the trailer/tregg is connected, will the rear door still fold down and not contact with the top of the coupling?

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #21626618th Oct 2007 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Also - it sticks out long way from the rear - probably less noticeable if using a wheel carrier (sic!) - but it's all trade-off - either sits down too low, or protrudes back too far...

thanks again for persevering!

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #21626718th Oct 2007 7:39 am
jh972

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Simon
I'd think there is plenty of clearance under the tailgate. If you look back at mine, mine is a bit higher and I still have plenty of clearance.
It will put the treg coupling a long way further back than mine though.

Caver, Does it trigger the reversing sensors?

John
 2007 TDV6 SE Stornoway Gray
Llams Ride Height Controller, Traxide dual battery system, 

Post #21627818th Oct 2007 8:11 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'll try answer questions first.

Evan You could install it yourself easily, it just bolts on. You may need a torque wrench but it will dependon what the engineer recons.
NFI about the WDH, I'll get them to ask the engineer but HR would blame the hitch if there was a problem for sure.

jh972
The fulcrum point has moved but other solutions eg BRS are similar and seem to work.

Simon give me the height of the the Tregg hitch and I will check but I don't think it will be a problem especially if you put the horizontal hinge to the front.

Forgot to check the sensors. Embarassed I will see if I can check tomorrow.

I think it will look better with the top cut down but would be too small for recovery point then but you could use the bar in the tongue reciever for that.

Also I had an idea of cutting the cover to fit behind it and putting a plug on the cover. That would tidy it up.

I think it is far enough from the bumper for it fit with a Kaymar bar but if someone in Sydneyt has one I could check.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #21631818th Oct 2007 9:43 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Towing Hitch

Looks good CaverD3 and well done for persevering. I share Simon's thoughts about height re Tregg Hitch, so will be interested in your findings - but I would have thought that the height will ultimately depend on the tongue used. Let's hope the testing goes well and I'll be looking fwd to ordering one.
Cheers,
Martin

Post #21636418th Oct 2007 12:18 pm
simon_arch1

Martin - silly me - of course - if the selected hitch inserted in the receiver, drops the tongue down - then the Tregg coupling should be fine.

Only concern is how far to the rear it protrudes - Caver can you give us a measurement?

Thanks,

Simon
Post #21637518th Oct 2007 12:54 pm
simon_arch1

CaverD3 - can you also get some pics of how it attaches - from underneath?

Thanks,

Simon
Post #21638118th Oct 2007 1:10 pm
caverD3

Simon it bolts to the eye holes for the safety chains used with the removable hitch. There is also separate piece which has a tongue into the hitch slot, although most of the load is taken by the recovery eye, the other braces the unit and takes lateral loads. Very simple to install, one bush, three bolts and tighten.

It sticks out about 125mm from bumper to the end of the tongue receiver.
Just corrected spelling. Embarassed
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 19th Oct 2007 7:48 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21654619th Oct 2007 12:03 am
evan

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

CaverD3 Can you please clarify the attachment point under the car. You seem to be referring to the 2 eye holes on either side of the hitch receiver slot. If this is so is there an altenative for the safety chains?

Cheers Evan

Post #21656719th Oct 2007 1:59 am
caverD3

Evan
If you look underneath and either side of the new reveiver you will see two holes these are for the chain shackles:

Click image to enlarge

Yes, the it does set off the reversing sensors, Big Cry due to the position now being right it cannot be helped. We are going to see if we can rotate the sensors to point them away from the hitch otherwise you will have to switch them off or remove the hitch, at least removal is fairly easy if you don't often use it.
After the hitch has been tested they will make a new one and have a play with the sensors in the bumper.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #21659419th Oct 2007 7:59 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

CaverD3,
I am in Sydney and have a Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel). I am happy to meet and test fit the new tow bar. I'll send you a PM with contact details.

Regards
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #21703921st Oct 2007 1:41 pm
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Towing Hitch

Hi CaverD3,

New Disco gets delivered tonight (after5 long mths of waiting) - yeh:). Any estimates of how long it might now take before getting into production with the final version of tow hitch?

It looks like basically 3 bolts to take the hitch on and off - how easy (or dificult) do you think the process will be, as I'll probably have to take it off when not in use?

Bummer about the reversing sensors!

Cheers.

Post #21720322nd Oct 2007 6:28 am
caverD3

Tanks Haggis
I'll let you know when it is back.
They are getting a move on with the process now. Money has now been invested in the product so they will want to re-coup some soon.
On and off as I said is three bolts easy, not sure if torque settiing will be critical, probably not. It will probably be quicker than the removable hitch. Shocked Laughing especially removing it. Very Happy The bush for the eye will need to stay in or you will have to get a new bush each time.
There may be a solution to the sensor issue; watch this space.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #21720522nd Oct 2007 6:40 am
simon_arch1

CaverD3,
The fix I use for the reverse sensor is to cross the data feed from the offending sensor/s to another wire, but leaving the elecrict circuit intact. Can provide more details if necess.

Also - fyi - HR are again on the trail of this, having had a change of product manager - just a heads up. They continue to look at a unit that will sit just under the bumper. Time will tell if they'll ever actually do something.

cheers,

Simon
Post #21721822nd Oct 2007 7:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 38 <123 ... 131415 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >