Martin Krutli wrote:
The trailer towed like a dream on the Mitchell Hitch

$1000 Shocked

Post #45676220th Apr 2009 9:44 am
mitchellbros4x4

Australia 

basbog wrote:
Martin
Go to Opposite Lock, Sth rd Mile End and they can fit the Mitchell Bros tow hitch, around 1,000, however totally worth, any questions please ask

Hi basbog,

Thanks for saying so.

Aaron Mitchell

PS. Did it really cost a grand though??

Post #45677720th Apr 2009 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Price of $1000 is a bit OTT. Shocked Even installed.
But it is good to know even at that price basbog thinks it is a good bit of kit. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #45682020th Apr 2009 12:29 pm
basbog

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

OK, it cost $914 fitted, but wait there's more, you still have to buy a tongue $152, for me it solved a problem, done. Since then I have been pulled over by other Disco drivers wanting to know more, and a government department rang me yesterday through someone, through someone, wanting to know where and how much, as they have 2 Discos and can not launch their boats because the PLOUGH digs into some boat ramps
Mr Mitchell, you invested the time and did not know how many you would really sell, simple effective design, sell heaps! Opposite Lock, make your mark up + fitting charge, that's ok.
When you get your Mr Rudd $900 add a bit more, help a couple of businesses, and solve a problem very well and you will never have to think about it again.
(Disclaimer) No sponsorship, secret envelopes, or family members are received or involved in any of the above businesses

Post #45710220th Apr 2009 11:38 pm
John58

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Went to ARB Capalaba (Qld) about 6 months ago to have a bullbar, etc, fitted. They noticed my Mitchell Bros tow hitch and were suitably impressed. Since then they have rung me back twice to ask if other Disco owners could have a look / chat after they had told them about it. I thoroughly recommended it to them. It's an impressive piece of kit - I've had no probs at all. I tightened the bolts every week for the first 3 weeks (just to be sure...) but they haven't needed tightening since. Very Happy I was probably being over-cautious anyway. Heading off soon, west by north-west - Boulia/ Plenty hwy/ Alice Springs/ Ularu/ Great Central Rd/ "Somewhere-yet-to-be-decided" in W.A. Mr. Green towing the camper-trailer.
P.S. I must be the only one in the country who hasn't painted their hitch black :shock:It gained a few minor rust streaks initially but they seem to have stopped and even decreased - looks quite presentable now. Wink
 White S TDV6 auto. Air Suspension. Active Rear Diff. ARB bullbar. IPF spotlights. GME TX3440 UHF radio. Autosafe Cargo Barrier. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch. AT35 coupling. AORC Quantum van.  
Post #45760722nd Apr 2009 11:07 am
caverD3

John58 wrote:
P.S. I must be the only one in the country who hasn't painted their hitch black :shock:It gained a few minor rust streaks initially but they seem to have stopped and even decreased - looks quite presentable now. Wink

Thumbs Up

Thats what zinc does. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #45762622nd Apr 2009 12:32 pm
mitchellbros4x4

Australia 

True, it only needs the smallest pin hole in a weld and the acid leeches out ofter the final zinc coat has been applied.

All hitches now are painted satin black after etch primer has been applied.

Post #4616302nd May 2009 11:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Fitting Help!!

I have read through this thread and can't quite seem to see if the washer for the 2 lower bolts should be on the upper (nut) side or on the lower (bolt) side.

I can't seem to get the nut onto the thread with the washer on the top - not enough room!!!
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #53571317th Oct 2009 6:45 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The washers go under the bolt head Dan. Depending on the space you have at the nut end you may need to saw off about 1 mm to get the bolt tight. Most don't but I had to. Don't use an angle grinder to cut it as that will weaken the bolt but a hacksaw is fine.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #53572117th Oct 2009 9:00 am
Dan W

Thanks Lawrie,

I just gave it a go with the washer on the bolt side and it just fits.

I am now one happy Mitchell Bros sorted rear end!!

Got a new box trailer today too, so it's a big day for boys toys in the W house!
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #53572317th Oct 2009 9:05 am
Dan W

When i was at the auto shop picking up my MB hitch yesterday the guy mentioned there is a fix for the rear sensors which involves disabling the 2 sensors closest to the hitch.

Anyone tried this? Is it easy to do (and undo)?
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #53606217th Oct 2009 11:52 pm
caverD3

You don't need to disable them just rotate then.
Look in this thread there are some instructions there. Easier with two (someone to hold the bumperskin whilst you fiddle) but simple and works.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #53607418th Oct 2009 3:31 am
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

mitchellbros4x4 wrote:
True, it only needs the smallest pin hole in a weld and the acid leeches out ofter the final zinc coat has been applied.

All hitches now are painted satin black after etch primer has been applied.

Sometimes javascript:emoticon('Embarassed')
Embarassed "one" forgets to turn the hitch over and grind and prime the weld which leaves lots of rust dribble. At least that way the owner can see the rust and fix it before he puts in on.
javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')
Rolling Eyes
dj

Post #77884726th Mar 2011 8:41 am
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just come home with hitch and it has no instructions in box. Has any one instructions they can post or is there instructions on how it fits on the forum (I have looked and not found any). Can probably work it out but need to know whether the spare has to be dropped, read about which way the bolts and washer goes - about the bolt may seem to be too long etc Does both electric points need to come off and how is the best way to get the nylon section into the LR eye Any help would be appreciated

dj

Post #77885926th Mar 2011 9:21 am
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have towed approximately 30k klm + with the MB hitch towing both a t-van and my bike trailer (not at the same time of course) and wouldn't be without it.

A couple of tips from experience:

1. after crossing the infinite sand dunes of the Simpson desert etc towing a t-van behind my RRStdv8 I found the 12mm cross bolt thru the crush tube/nylon bush/LR tow eye to be inadequate as it had developed a 30 degree bend under the severe hobby-horse load and was a continual maintenance issue needing constant re-tightening. Problem solved by replacing with an m17 high tensile bolt and eliminating the crush tube...thanks for the replacement nylon bush, aaron. No problems experienced with this cross bolt since.

2. the mounting bolts supplied by MB rely on stainless nylock nuts and bolts which are recommended for replacement every time they are undone/removed. My MB hitch has seen service on two RRS and is now gainfully employed on my D4. It has had numerous (10-12) removals/refitments. To solve this problem I replaced the mounting bolts with high tension steel bolts and spring washers and have experienced no loosening problems as before. And no need to purchse new mounting hardware at each refitment.

PREACHER.....the spare does not need to be dropped but both the power sockets need to be undone and moved to the side to get the cross bolt in. the nylon bush can be tapped in, outer half first, making sure that the split in the bush is not in the vertical or horizontal axis. The inner bush can then be tapped in but should be squeezed together with the outer bush until it fits between the vertical mount plates for the hitch. You would probably benefit from another pair of heplful hands to juggle the toothed insert into the LR receptor while mounting the vertical bolts thru the LR chain eyes. But this can be done alone with a bit of practice/tenacity/dexterity. Make sure that you apply maximum tension on the nuts using the proper tools to stop the bolt from spinning. And check the tension on a regular basis during use until you are confident no loosening is occuring. then still make regular cursory checks. You could also email Mitchells for their written instructions.

3. interestingly I had problems with reversing sensor interference on only one of the RRS and don't experience this problem on the D4.

4. everytime my MB hitch is removed it gets a new coat of zinc spray and I no longer see any corrosion issues. I also think that the zinc looks better than black. After all, having paid substantial money for this functional accessory it should be shown not disguised.

hope this helps..................frank
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #77938128th Mar 2011 2:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 35 of 38 <123 ... 3435 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >