Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Stereo stuck in "Phone Mode" - fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Airportman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Mine was the same after having a new battery fitted, did not work for 3 weeks.
Then had to have a new alternator fitted and as soon as the battery was reconnected, it started working and has ever since, so just try disconnecting the battery and see, worth a try.

Pete Thumbs Up
 IID BT  
Post #146403626th Apr 2015 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dlw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Check your battery voltage and re-charge, I noticed my radio going into low power mode even with the engine running and since I charged my battery everthing has been ok. It has been documented on the forum that lots of problems can be caused with a low battery and making short journeys can contribute and I think this was my problem.

Post #146403826th Apr 2015 9:26 am
Disco3Uganda

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Phone mode

Thanks a lot, I will give that a try and let you know.....

Post #146404026th Apr 2015 9:31 am
Nath

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 . Stuck in phone mode.

kona_221 wrote:
I didn't managed to get hold of a spare unit to test with, however it is now fixed....!

I had been searching the forums for others with the same problem and I came across this on Land Rover Forums - http://landroverforums.com/forum/general-t...nly-22463/

Quote:

03-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Ciqir Ciqir

Greetings. Resurrecting an old post I know but I wanted to share how I fixed my Land Rover radio being Stuck In Phone Mode in hopes that someone searching for a solution like I did may find it in the future and it may help them. My scenario popped up in my 2006 LR3 after a rain revealed clogged sunroof drains and water got inside on the dash and floor. I tried everything I found on forums like battery resets, fuse pulling, button pushing and the like to no avail. Other symptoms I saw were on a cold power up the radio would play for a half second then go into Phone Mode. Also, if I turned the volume **** all the way up I could very faintly hear the radio. One thing that struck me as odd in all of it was the fact that I had no phone capability as part of my installation.

In reading on the subject I found a few interesting things. Primarily was the fact that we have a fiber optic (MOST) system connecting not only the radio and amp but any installed modules and nav, as well as it was all seemingly centered in the radio head unit. Then I found that the phone capability was a separate module, which again I didn't have.
All of that, especially my not having the phone module installed got me thinking that the head unit got oddly stuck by the water into a waiting for response state for a module that simply could never respond because it wasn't there. The trick was just how to get the head unit to stop looking for a response from that unit.
Hoping the fiber optic network was a bus network or one that at the very least prioritized something before the phone module here's what I did and it worked...

Key in Off position. Pulled center dash cover, unscrewed radio, and slid it out. Disconnected the fiber optic/MOST connector only. Turned key to the On position.

It worked! The system looks to have prioritized not seeing any network on the fiber optics at all and went searching for anything seemingly kicking it out off the search for the Phone Module. There was no sound on that first Power On as the MOST network feeds the signal to the amp but on powering off, replugging the MOST connector, and power back on all was well. It's been up and running no issues ever since.

Cheers--

This was exactly the same symptoms I had, I followed the steps and my radio is now back! I am not counting my chickens yet, I will see if it stays fixed!

This is amazing advice for a new owner of a 2006 with same issue, however this did not work for me first time. Tried this method many times. Spoke to LR dealer who spoke about dampness issues. So I put dehumidifier in car overnight. Went back in morning and only a small amount in water tank, so tried turning radio on and still did not work Big Cry ... However while radio power up I took fibre cable off once more ... Plugged back in and worked and still works a week later yippee.. So greatful for all you help everyone...

Post #154751319th Oct 2015 9:55 pm
nutter123

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My radio started doing this as my alternator was beginning to fail. Mixture of Low Voltage and phone mode. New alternator solved many problems.

Post #156778426th Nov 2015 7:05 pm
dlw

Well my radio decided it would work for quite a while and 1000 miles in to a 2200 mile journey it started to do it again "phone mode" and now with "shutting down" in the mix, I scanned with IID and it shows a fault on fibre bus so when I get a chance it looks like I will have to try the fix on the previous page and hopefully my 1800 mile drive home will not be in radio silence as I have only the wife to listen to and she will probably be sleeping for most of it Big Cry Rolling with laughter

Post #16870491st Aug 2016 5:06 pm
Discogaz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine did the same this weekend after being left parked for 2 weeks at Penzance which made for a very boring and silent 5 hour drive home.

New battery a month ago and new alternator only fitted end of last year (Denso unit from AF) so hopefully, will pull radio out Saturday and see if the "fix" works.

Post #16870511st Aug 2016 5:10 pm
dlw

it is strange that I decided to change the battery too just before my trip across Europe and then I didn't drive it for a few weeks while I was working away and a day into my drive it stopped.

Post #16870521st Aug 2016 5:16 pm
Discogaz

That didn't work although the radio came on for a second before then going pack into Phone mode which I think is encouraging but don't actually know why I was heartened by this.

Think I will put the original battery on charge and stick it in at the weekend to see if that makes a difference.

Have already spoke to AF and they don't think there will be an issue with the alternator but are willing to sell me another one and accept back the original they supplied and send back to Denso and refund me should Denso find a fault with it.

Feels a bit like pi**ing in the breeze with this type of fault but that's about all I can do with my level of knowledge. Once that runs out, I guess I will have to hand it over to an expert (Geoff) to look at, possibly pre. new alternator purchase.

Will report back any progress as it may help others.

Gary

Post #16874642nd Aug 2016 5:24 pm
dlw

Mine started working for a while without doing anything but while sitting in the car with my IIDTool my battery is showing 13.4vdc and after 5 minutes or so while I was checking my ac it went into low power mode and shutdown Big Cry there was a thunderstorms and a lot of rain where I am last night and I have a feeling my sunroof drains are blocked (puddle on ds floor) so there might be a chance the radio has got wet again

Post #16874692nd Aug 2016 5:32 pm
Discogaz

Update

Removed battery last night and had it on charge overnight but still stuck in phone mode when reconnected this morning so took the radio out completely in my lunch hour, blew in all the connectors, stuck it back together inserting one connector at a time, power on then connected the MOST cable and voila, it now works and to top it all, it has managed to save all the presets despite being removed from power for 10 minutes.

All very strange so will keep an eye on it. This was only the second time it had done this and previously the radio came back on after a few days.

Wish I could say what fixed it, could be moisture but all dry, could be the dark arts at play, who knows but am happy that I have sounds again.

Post #16882534th Aug 2016 1:46 pm
Coo

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mine goes into phone mode when I double click on the volume button on steering wheel...

So trying not to use that button in that way helps me!

Post #16882924th Aug 2016 3:46 pm
Discogaz

Coo.

Try taking the unit out and cleaning all the connectors and see if that helps, maybe have a look at the loom for the volume controls also as could be as simple as a pinched or chafed wire in the steering wheel.

Airbag is pretty simple to remove and exposes all the gubbins.

Post #16883134th Aug 2016 4:26 pm
eitileda

Argentina 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello, up there! Got my new D3 and start dealing with phone mode. It's 4 days working ok. What I did was cleaning with "ISOPROPHILIC" ? alcohol all contacts at the back of the audio unit. Not the optic switch.
Let you know if this fails.
Rgds.
Alejandro

Post #170567814th Sep 2016 12:15 pm
dlw

This seems to be a common fault and I can't believe that nobody has had a dealer fix for it or they have but not read this thread.

Mine has been stuck again for a while and had a 600 mile trip with no radio, going to dismantle and clean when I get back.

Post #170572914th Sep 2016 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >