Engine seized
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Fatboy Slim wrote:
Thumbs Up

Hi Fatboy

did you ever reply to my email of 25th July?

kind regards

George
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #170708616th Sep 2016 9:54 pm
fqpvr6

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3

MGCarr wrote:
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the crankshafts usually fail in the same place?

If the cranks snap in all cases in exactly at the same place when fitted with an auto box, and speaking as a mechanical engineer by trade (who owns a 2.7 TDV6 Disco 3 yet to seize), the evidence seems to suggest towards a design flaw of the crank. The "sizing" of the crank was not done correctly when coupled to a geometry based high stress concentration (i.e, Kt). I also think there may be an harmonic resonant excitation frequency that may be excited only when the crankshaft/engine is coupled to the AUTO box.

I would love to have an engineers' talk with the guy who designed this thing and see what kind of stress and modal analysis has been done and validation testing performed prior to design release to manufacturing, Most likely very minimal analysis, or a complete miss to include all possible engine/transmission combinations in their models.

Thanks, and best of luck to all of us.... I work in the aviation business and I can confirm that in our business, the 'engineers' first concern is safety of the product and ensuring its proper function during all certification conditions. An obvious design issue like this one which has been going on for years and has yet to be addressed properly by the parent company is an unacceptable behavior towards the customer. I am quite sure that by now someone at Ford or PSA or who ever has design responsibility for this engine component knows exactly what the issue is. What is not acceptable is that a proper solution or mitigation has been given to the customers who own it, so that they have peace of mind and may remain loyal to the brand.

Post #171194127th Sep 2016 10:41 pm
hgbosch

Hi fqpvr6

In my mind you are spot on with your take on this issue. I have stated that back in 2012 already, when the first occurrences started popping up in SA.

The issue has not been solved, not even with the change in engine from the 2.7 to the 3.0 and twin turbo design.

Lets see how many more of these mills need to pop, before JLR will start to take the necessary steps to rectify.

You were quite correct with your comments about the pre-release testing of components in the aviation industry. Had the same criteria been applied to the D3/D4 and RRS models, then all these vehicles would have had their "CoA" or in this case CoR" rescinded, i.e. "grounded".

But I am still waiting for an answer from the prominent UK indies, if there were any incidences of 5A and 6A TDV6's with snapped cranks, but bearings intact.

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6

Post #171199928th Sep 2016 8:14 am
al cope

England 

But its a different industry with different risk criteria. In aviation, if something breaks, a plane falls out of the sky, people die. For JLR if a crank snaps, its one Censored of customer, nothing more. Even quite a few failing with associated costs, its nothing to what they've made from selling thousands of the things.

Not want you want to hear if you have a broken one, but thats how it is.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #171202128th Sep 2016 9:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hgbosch

Hi al

you are naturally right. But then if a plane has fatal flaw, all hell breaks loose and the type/model is grounded, full stop. But when such a thing happens to a motor car, well........

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6

Post #171204228th Sep 2016 10:22 am
al cope

England 

yep, i agree, but car manufacturers approach things like this in a very different way to a plane maker. Its only when Brand reputation looks like it will be affected will they do something. Just look at VW or Toyota.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #171262329th Sep 2016 8:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

fqpvr6 wrote:
MGCarr wrote:
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the crankshafts usually fail in the same place?

If the cranks snap in all cases in exactly at the same place when fitted with an auto box, and speaking as a mechanical engineer by trade (who owns a 2.7 TDV6 Disco 3 yet to seize), the evidence seems to suggest towards a design flaw of the crank. The "sizing" of the crank was not done correctly when coupled to a geometry based high stress concentration (i.e, Kt). I also think there may be an harmonic resonant excitation frequency that may be excited only when the crankshaft/engine is coupled to the AUTO box.

I would love to have an engineers' talk with the guy who designed this thing and see what kind of stress and modal analysis has been done and validation testing performed prior to design release to manufacturing, Most likely very minimal analysis, or a complete miss to include all possible engine/transmission combinations in their models.

Thanks, and best of luck to all of us.... I work in the aviation business and I can confirm that in our business, the 'engineers' first concern is safety of the product and ensuring its proper function during all certification conditions. An obvious design issue like this one which has been going on for years and has yet to be addressed properly by the parent company is an unacceptable behavior towards the customer. I am quite sure that by now someone at Ford or PSA or who ever has design responsibility for this engine component knows exactly what the issue is. What is not acceptable is that a proper solution or mitigation has been given to the customers who own it, so that they have peace of mind and may remain loyal to the brand.

V6 Lion stress analysis

Thumbs Up
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #17159815th Oct 2016 9:46 pm
pigeon

15 plate 21tho etc etc
How on earth are LR getting away with this Censored
D3 D4 I wonder how the D5 will fair .

you watch there launch of most of these cars and how they tap there self on the back about the state of the art in technology and engineering .

JOKE

Post #21178592nd Feb 2020 6:13 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It’s the normal reality distortion field between marketing and engineering Mr. Green

Post #21178672nd Feb 2020 7:04 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

It’s coz peeps still buy their products. Until that changes they won’t see any reason to deny there is a problem. Thumbs Up

Post #21179563rd Feb 2020 8:15 am
pigeon

Post #21181793rd Feb 2020 10:06 pm
pigeon

http://www.australiancar.reviews/reviews.p...mp;gen=514

Big Cry

Post #21181803rd Feb 2020 10:10 pm
pigeon

You are not going to believe this ive booked a D4 for a visit up to inverness late feb , they only phoned me to say the D4 I was ear mark 't , the engine as seized 99% sure its the crank Censored Big Cry .

And would I be happy in having a defender instead . Rolling with laughter

Post #21184314th Feb 2020 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >