Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 20 <123 ... 101112 ... 181920>
rookhope

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I found water in passenger footwell so had a dig around to see where it came from and assumed it was a blocked pipe from sunroof after shoving some wire down and then some water it dribbled out from wheel arch, success I thought, not so as I had the headlining down I tried to blow down the pipe and it felt blocked so I sucked (and got a mouthful of water) then blew down again and it was clear, tried filling tube with water again and it disappeared but not out of the car but into footwell, question is how do you get to elbow behind the fuse box or am I missing something someone mention the 2 bolts holding it and getting someone with small hands please help
 G4 D3 4.4 V8, "tigger" all year round toy
Evoque 2.2 SD4
AC Cobra 4.6 V8 seasonal weekend toy 

Post #147961527th May 2015 6:38 pm
GTIR250

England 

you'll need to remove the cjb(fuse board) to get to the elbow.

Post #147989128th May 2015 9:18 am
rookhope

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

How do you do that as I couldn't see how it came loose
 G4 D3 4.4 V8, "tigger" all year round toy
Evoque 2.2 SD4
AC Cobra 4.6 V8 seasonal weekend toy 

Post #147992128th May 2015 10:58 am
GTIR250

England 

remove lower g-box lid, remove the side kick panel then remove 2 x 10mm nuts that hold the cjb in.
unplug all the plugs and it pulls down from its 2 retaining pins/lugs.

Post #147994628th May 2015 12:44 pm
stephenevans

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Sunroof

Dear all,
Many thanks to all on the posts and advice given. I now have a sunroof that drains away the water as it should.

Superb site.

Post #148044129th May 2015 6:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Thotfulspot

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I still have a leak somehow after using wide packing tape all around the sunroof and roof connection. Not sure what else it can be.

Post #148058630th May 2015 5:54 am
Rrozzer

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Many thanks Gareth for your posts, I have just cleared the front left drain channel, headlining from that corner was soaking when got in this morning. Frantically searched on here, low and behold found the solution in Gareth's Posts. Much appreciated.

Post #14816321st Jun 2015 2:04 pm
dadon

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks guys for all the write ups in this topic and others too.
Drivers side was done yesterday and most difficult thing was lifting the air vent. Must say: standing back to vent and yanking it up with all your strength advice proved to be most useful. Thumbs Up

Today is the time for the passenger side. I do not foresee major problems at this point.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work. Bow down Bow down

Post #149262525th Jun 2015 11:25 am
GoneWest

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks to everybody for posts on this subject.

I found the passenger side drain tube elbow behind fuses can be viewed with a dentist mirror on a stick without any dismantling. Just drop glovebox put mirror in gap between fuses and pollen filter housing and angle mirror for view to left using a torch. Go in at the same height as the bottom of the Pollen filter cover. The black elbow was easy to spot against my silver body colour, maybe a little more tricky if black.
I saw no drips at the joint and a pipe in good condition so have eliminated this from my enquiries with little effort!

My hunt for leaks goes on, plenum next stop.

Post #149363027th Jun 2015 4:22 pm
biggabreakfast

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sunroof drain tube on Passenger side of my right hand drive disco 3 2005

HOW TO SAVE YOURSELF 250.00 of dealership labour by replacing a part costing about a tenner!

Discovered a very wet carpet, lots and lots of water, thought hmmm this is strange but it wasn't coming through the headlining (like it had when the drivers side pipe blocked up) this time the pipe was running water from the sunroof like a good un, but the water wasn't running from the car, after a bit of head scratching I started undoing the inner wing suspecting the end to be blocked. But to get my hand up far enough inside the inner wing to check the 'stupid cross shaped rubber valve thingy' I had to start undoing the mud flap - it wouldn't budge, these screws would have to be ground off, so I abandoned that task..

Glad I did as it turns out!!!!!

Next inside the car, remove lower glovebox (glovebox pins are a joke you have to break them to get them out but they're cheap to buy so hey ho) I did see the guys photos of a piece of tubing used as a removal tube but it didn't work for me.

Central junction box has to come out, yes it's fiddly, two nuts at the bottom come off nicely then remove bottom connector block, if you're unsure if you'll remember where they go don't worry because they're all different and will only fit one way so you can't go wrong but take notes and pictures for piece of mind....I found that taking the three bottom right relays gave me an extra couple of mill for me to get my hand up the back to feel for the 2 rear connector blocks you push up on a little lever attached to them to get them off, push the lever all the way until it clicks on a stop. These are genius little designs and Really easy when you discover how to get them off it's positioning them back in that takes a while 😳
Then undo the three bigger front ones and the Central junction box they work in the same manner(ish) as the back ones but you must squeeze the Side tabs to get the levers to work-anyway you'll see what I mean...then you will carefully be able to wriggle CJB down and to the right onto the floor.... Put it in a safe place!!!

This picture shows what I found when I lowered the CJB (central junction box) basically the valve had rotted and fallen inside the car and was Censored water everywhere .... I've got the part ordered and I'll be refitting it on Tuesday night, in the meantime I have attached a piece of tubing to the end of it so it drains away safely....
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=2

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...mage~5.jpg

This next picture shows the sunroof drain tube location as it comes down in one piece from the sunroof to behind where the CJB sits, the pipe can be seen in the middle of the photo with a piece of red tape around it, the 'rotted elbow' can be pulled off this pipe for inspection with a little bit of twisting
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...mage~6.jpg

You can see where the CJB frame is and the pipe behind it without the elbow, that is why you have to remove the CJB. The elbow and grommet push out of a hole in the inner wing just behind the mass of wires access to the hole is simple at this stage just push the pipe through and away you go - DRY CARPETS!! Forever???? We'll see 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Replacement is a reversal of removal but it's fiddly.

Photos to follow.

Post #150367419th Jul 2015 9:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveDisco3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Another reason why your sunroof may not drain, mine was kinked where it went over a bar, took it off, a good blow out and flush through, turned it 90 degrees and put a bit of rigid 8mm tube inside where the kink was and put it back on!
Drains beautifully now. If it wasn't a Sunday I would have probably bought a new piece of pipe, but this should last a good while!
Click image to enlarge
 D3 Tonga HSE 2005
Sport body kit
Beanie grille
LED interior lights
LED side lights
De-tango
IID Bluetooth
Icarsoft i930
Clock on dash
Three flash indicators 

Post #150702226th Jul 2015 10:56 am
mat.m

Mine had a wee leak last week, i will try this guide at the weekend. Thanks for the instructions.

Post #151495312th Aug 2015 7:22 pm
PhilGV8

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just wanted to add my thanks for this post, Gareth for the initial photos and nujjer page 8 for describing what eventually worked for me Very Happy
It started with the other half complaining that her legs were getting wet when it rained. The usual excuse of 'it is a Land Rover' was failing to pacify, and the threat of 'I'll have to sit in the back' and reducing me to a chauffer was not appealing.
A quick rod through with curtain track proved the off-side was clear, but hit an obstruction mid windscreen on the nearside. Removing the airbag cover revealed the tube pinched half way down, so a quick re-route from behind the offending trim and sorted, or so I thought. But as usual the light at the end of the tunnel was just another bloody train coming, and the rodding refused to clear the blockage, although seemingly hitting the end of the tube area in the top of the nearside wing.
I got my mechanic to have a look whilst he was replacing the front discs, but he reported he could find no trace of a tube under the wing. More research on here was required.
Not wanting to have to remove the front wheel and liners I rodded much harder, to no avail. So I pushed the curtain track really hard, and eventually the water drained away - result! Trouble was the water had drained into the car, not outside.
Yes, joy of joys, I had pushed the drain pipe off of the sunroof joint Rolling Eyes
A happy hour followed juggling with headlinings, airbags, and hunting around the yard for lost screws, before the hose was finally back on the sunroof spigot.
Lunch followed, with some calculations of how much I might lose swapping the D3 for a Landcruiser, before finding nujjer's excellent post on how to clear the drain without removing the wheel. Yes it was a struggle, and yes I need to buy some new wheel lining fixings (I already have 14 different sorts of plastic fixings, but of course, none the right size). You know when you have cleared the blockage, you just sort of fiddle with the nipples on the end of the drain and suddenly your arm is engulfed in the deluge of water and crud. It was a bit like.... Whistle
Anyway, another job sorted, parking sensors here we come Rolling Eyes
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga
Lexus RX300 SE-L
Landcruiser 90 VX 3.4 V6
Range Rover Vogue SE TDi 1995 

Post #152202430th Aug 2015 4:41 pm
oscis

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

Any tips on accessing the drain tube elbow, passenger side on a LHD. I tried but just couldn't see what to remove. I've got a rotten elbow that I need to replace. Crying or Very sad

Post #153023716th Sep 2015 5:33 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Tipping it down here this morning - been dry for the last 4 years but now pouring in through the overhead light Big Cry Big Cry

Curtain rods out this weekend Laughing

Post #155216528th Oct 2015 10:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 20 <123 ... 101112 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >