Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 20 <123 456 ... 181920>
Stoners

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've had the problem of water in the passenger footwell on and off for a few years now. In the past the dealers have sorted it out for me on my 05 HSE, but following heavy rain a few days ago the carpet was sodden again.

Rodded the two front drains with curtain wire and got a modest flow of water, but I really need to get at the x ends and enlarge them. A job for a dry day.

What I'm not clear about is how the water gets into the A pillar? While I was poking about today, I discovered that my curtain wire can be passed into what I think is the A pillar though a gap or hole directly to the front of the sun roof rails, although for the life of me I can't see the hole. If I'm right the drains get blocked and fill up, then, if the car is parked facing downhill in rain, the rails start to fill up and the water goes through this 'hole' and into the A pillar. I've never had water come through the headlining like some have reported.

Seems like a stupid design flaw to me - surely the sun roof ought to be water tight when closed?. I guess I could seal this 'hole' with silicone, but run the risk that might transfer the problem to the headlining, if the drains get blocked again, which I suspect they will.

The crazy thing is that I never open the sun roof anyway!

Post #69868130th Sep 2010 8:22 pm
Bullhead

Canada 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Leaking Sunroof

I'm too having a water issue with the sunroof but mine is a little odd.

My LR3 07 is still under warranty and I originally took it to the dealer with water sitting inside my headliner between the C & D Pillar (from the 2nd row seat back). Car was on an incline with a heavy down pour.

The dealer cleared the drain tubes and I thought that was that.Left it on the drive facing up, and along came the rain. Same issue water soaked the headliner between the C and D Pillar.

This time the dealer removed the headliner and replaced both rear drain tubes. Great I thought, this should solve it once and for all.

Fat chance. When I pour a little water into both rear tubes when the car is on an incline facing up, the water just sits in the tray. I can see both drain holes when I shine a tourch down the gutter, but water just won't go down it. I've managed to find a very long straw that enables me to blow air into the rear drain hole, no issue. Even with a mouthful of water and blowing it down the rear drain hole, it comes out at the rear wheel, so I know there is no issue with the pipe. However, just pouring a little water or a lot, it just won't go down the hole. It's frustrating. I'm wondering exactly how little water should be entering this hole in order to flow. Can anyone else test please?

Anyway, I've found out why im getting a lot of water in through the sunroof. It's either not aligned correctly or the seal around the sunroof has had it in a particular place.

When I slide a piece of paper between the roof and the seal, I can feel resistance all the way round except for 6" in the rear passenger corner. No resistance at all and the paper easily slides in and out. So i poured water all over the sunroof seal and in every area the water stayed on top, except for the 6" section. The water just poured in. When I opened the sunroof, the water was sitting in the tray. Ok, problem partially resolved, I know the area it's coming in. Unsolved issue. why isn't it draining!!!!!

Anybody with any thoughts on this?

cheers

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Merged

Post #70474117th Oct 2010 9:06 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Blocked sunroof drain most likely - plenty of info about it, try here for a start: -

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22757.h...f+%2Bdrain
 Clive

Post #70478817th Oct 2010 9:51 pm
Bullhead

I wish it was that easy, but the dealer replaced both rear drain tubes with new ones last week.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Post #70479917th Oct 2010 10:07 pm
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Elec sunroof not working and its leaking

My sunroof has started to leak as i found out just now when i went to go to the shop. Head lining soaked at front and dripping from LED where interior lights are. Problem is my electric sunroof doesnt open, is there a manual winder anywhere so i can get it open (havent used the sunroof for a few months so didn't realise it had stopped working) Big Cry

THFC
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #70731323rd Oct 2010 11:47 am
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Leaking Sunroof

Bullhead wrote:

Fat chance. When I pour a little water into both rear tubes when the car is on an incline facing up, the water just sits in the tray. I can see both drain holes when I shine a tourch down the gutter, but water just won't go down it. I've managed to find a very long straw that enables me to blow air into the rear drain hole, no issue. Even with a mouthful of water and blowing it down the rear drain hole, it comes out at the rear wheel, so I know there is no issue with the pipe. However, just pouring a little water or a lot, it just won't go down the hole. It's frustrating. I'm wondering exactly how little water should be entering this hole in order to flow. Can anyone else test please?

Hi Bullhead,
I've had a lot of issues with the sunroof leaking, and it wasn't until my dad and I dropped the head lining ourselves we found a few issues, we first noticed that the rear drain tubes went up hill.

Click image to enlarge

I know the picture doesn't help but they did go up hill and the tubes touched the higher roof structure which would mean the drip tray would just fill up till it overflowed.
Secondly where the tube enters the rear arch the tube was kinked to the point that no water would pass though at all.

Click image to enlarge

This is just our findings and every D3 could be different but i hope it helps.

Lots of roof pics in my gallery under sunroof Thumbs Up

Lee

Post #70740623rd Oct 2010 4:18 pm
Bullhead

Thanks Lee,

Great post and just what I needed. Just a few questions.

I know there are a lot of posts on how to drop th headliner, but how easy did it come down and go back up?

Did you straighten the rear tubes?

The end of the tube that is kinked, did you pull it out of the hole, straighten it and then put it back?

What sire Torex screw do you use to remove the rear seatbelt? I'm assuming you did in order to remove the bottom trim to see the end of the tube.

Thanks again Lee. Appreciate the reply.

Post #70744823rd Oct 2010 6:16 pm
lee157

We found that the once the grab handles, front sun visors, "A", "B", "C" and "D" post interior trims have been removed then the roof lining will probably drop on it own, the first time we removed it out the rear door which is a pain in the Censored , but since we have just dropped it onto the front and rear head rests.

If you do need to remove the head lining then there are 2 electrical connectors, front driver and rear passenger side.

The rear seat belt is torx T50.

With the rear tube we found plenty of slack, so we pulled it out the rubber elbow and just shortened it, we expected them to be one piece but found they were not.

Lee

Post #70746923rd Oct 2010 6:59 pm
Bullhead

Thanks Lee, this is really useful stuff.

Sorry, I forgot to ask. Once you straightened the tubes out, I assume water ran out the tubes fine?

How much water did you test with? The reason I ask is because the dealer says I'm pouring too much in. I'm just pouring slowly from a small inhouse watering can and it still fills the tray.

Going to drop the headliner tomorrow. will keep you posted.

thanks for the info on the torx! did you reuse it or replace the bolt? LR says it must be replaced according to the workshop manual.

Post #70750323rd Oct 2010 8:33 pm
lee157

Yeah once the tubes were clear and pointing downwards the water ran out no problems, we poured a fair bit of water down but never really saw it fill up.

We didn't know about the rear torx needing replacing as we only did it on the drive and haven't replaced it, I can only assume it would need a bit of locktight to stop it vibrating loose.

Good luck tomorrow.

Lee

Post #70756223rd Oct 2010 11:14 pm
gavwhite1972

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BarossaDiscovery 4
Water on top of mat in drivers footwell

Maybe slightly off-topic but here goes.
I recently bought my 2005 4.4 V8 HSE and one wet morning on the way to work noticed the top of my foot felt wet through my shoe..... I figured I had stood in a puddle getting to the car without realising and thought no more of it.
However, it has been quite wet weather recently with some heavy downpours, I noticed that the windscreen is misted with condensation every morning, usually the bottom 4 inches or so all the way accross but this morning the whole window was misted up.
Additionally I noticed water in the drivers footwell, the confusing part is that it is sitting on top of the rubber mat and the carpet feels dry underneath. There were a few runs / drips of water from the trim at the base of the steering column but nothing more that I could find.
There was a definate pool of water outside behind the front wheel so I am guessing the drain is working (no water under the car on the passenger side though but no internal leak that side either).

Has anyone any ideas? Could this be linked with the sunroof conversation or another possibility?

Cheers
 Many Thanks
Gavin White

2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
2011 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE (Now Sold)
2006 Discovery 3 2.7TDV SE (Now Sold)
2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE with LPG Conversion (Now Sold)
2002 Range Rover 4.0 V8 P38 (Now Sold) 

Post #70933028th Oct 2010 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frans@yamorna

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Hi All,I have a wet RF & RR floor.The headlining is dry.I would like to clean the drainpipes but are not sure how to remove the fender air intake.I don't want to damage the thing.Any spicific advise is wellcome.Thanks Very Happy

Post #73581222nd Dec 2010 5:39 pm
glinja

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Just noticed water running down the drivers side of windscreen today after torrential rain!
Oh joy....

Post #80065726th May 2011 5:35 pm
Christiaan Brussels

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Gareth,

Thank you for your post, had water leaking out of centre ceiling lights and near pedals (left hand drive) after heavy showers and car-wash. Followed your procedures to unplug the tubes, to find both tubes blocked.

Took me 40 minutes in total to disassemble, clear both tubes and remount all parts (unplugged them and blew them out).

Thank you much for your detailed post!

ps. in case I would like to check the draining tubes in the back of the front sunroof, same procedure? (remove B pilar inside trim?)

Post #80689315th Jun 2011 7:13 am
glinja

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Just a quick note of thanks guys.
Had an issue with water coming out of rh' a' pillar from the airbag logo.
Got some net curtain cable (about a quid from The Range), and proceeded to cut the
X at the bottom of the tube outlet.
Loads of gunk in there, which pleased me as I knew the problem was there.
Then used the curtain rail and went in through the s/roof hole, and as far down as poss.
Couldn't get it through the other end, but was happy with removing the cack from the X end.
Rained all afternoon, and after a quick spin in the Dizzy, all dry!!
Yay

Post #81109826th Jun 2011 10:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 20 <123 456 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >