Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How do you change Brake fluid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Disco3leigh

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
How do you change Brake fluid

I would like to change my brake fluid and don’t know were to start. Can anyone tell me if there is a thread anywhere here, I have looked and found nothing! What is the best way to flush and bleed the system? I live a long way from a “good” service workshop and need to address an intermittent soft braking issue mainly when towing, I am starting with a fluid change out...Help! Crying or Very sad
 I have become an expert at working on my D3 by necessity not want
2005 TDV6 SE 

Post #63469012th Apr 2010 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mzplcg

England 

I used one of the easy-bleed systems which forces clean fluid into the reservoir using tyre pressure. Then just go round the car opening the bleed screws one at a time until you see clean fluid come through.

Something like this.
http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/Brake_Bleed_Kit.cfm[/url]

Post #63470712th Apr 2010 9:30 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Because I'm changing my brake pads and discs, I want to change the fluid also and was going to make a similar post.

I'm used to working on old cars with normal brakes, but it's my understanding that on cars with ABS such as ours one cannot complete a full change of brake fluid without a computer or box of tricks that cycles the fluid through various channels in the ABS. Or is the amount of fluid that can't be changed pretty insignificant and so it doesn't matter?

As for changing the fluid on normal cars, a Gunson easibleed is good enough, just ensure you don't have too much pressure (<20PSI) behind it; a vacuum bleed system using air is better if you can get one. Start on the wheel furthest from the cylinder; if your fluid is pretty clear, consider using a different colour (it comes in blue or yellow, basically) so you can see when the old fluid is flushed and the new one comes through; just make sure it's the right spec. Brake fluid also makes a superb paint stripper, so wipe up any spills. Your new fluid should ideally be allowed to stand for about 24 hours before you use it in order to ensure that air bubbles in the oil have gone (not essential; probably matters less with newer cars for all I know). If your bleed nipples are corroded or look a little rough, you may want to use a penetrating oil on them (old brake fluid is great for this, and is even better when thinned with a little acetone; much better than WD40 and cheaper) for a few days before.
 PAGODA  
Post #63471812th Apr 2010 9:49 am
mzplcg

England 

Looks like you may be correct, something I was not aware of. Reading some articles I came across this one.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4213448

Very generic but it seems some cars do need the ABS turning on to allow old fluid to escape. Also a good tip about emptying the reservior with a turkey baster. Saves a bit of fluid by the look. I still can't find anything specific for the D3 though. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Post #63474612th Apr 2010 11:13 am
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi!

Im about to change the brake fluid on my D3, complete change (according to service manual). Do I need any diagnostic tool for this, or can I do it the "manual" way?

If so, how much fluid do I need, and what spec/make do you use?

Thanks!

Post #122593328th Jan 2014 6:38 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Brake System Pressure Bleeding (70.25.02)

WARNING: If any components upstream of the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU), including the HCU itself are replaced, the brake system must be bled using the procedure on T4, to ensure that all the air is expelled from the new component(s).

NOTE :

The following procedure covers bleeding the complete system. Where only the primary or secondary brake circuits have been disturbed in isolation, it should only be necessary to bleed that circuit. Partial bleeding of the hydraulic system is only permissible if a brake tube or hose has been disconnected with only minimal loss of fluid.

1 .
WARNING: Do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.

Raise and support the vehicle.

2 . Check that all the brake line connections are tight and that there are no signs of leaks.

3 . Release the 3 clips and remove the cover.

4 .
WARNING: Do not allow dirt or foreign liquids to enter the reservoir. Use only new brake fluid of the correct specification from airtight containers. Do not mix brands of brake fluid as they may not be compatible.

CAUTION: Brake fluid will damage paint finished surfaces. If spilled, immediately remove the fluid and clean the area with water.

Fill the brake fluid reservoir to the MAX mark.

5 . Install the bleed tube to the brake caliper bleed screw and immerse the free end of the bleed tube in a bleed jar containing a small quantity of approved brake fluid.

6 . Starting at the brake caliper furthest away from the brake master cylinder, loosen the bleed screw by one-half turn.

7 .
CAUTION: The brake fluid reservoir must remain full with new, clean brake fluid at all times during bleeding.

Depress the brake pedal steadily through its full stroke and allow to return to the rest position. Repeat the procedure until a flow of clean, air-free fluid is being pumped into the bleed jar.

8 .
CAUTION: Make sure the bleed screw cap is installed after bleeding. This will prevent corrosion to the bleed screw.

With the brake pedal fully depressed, tighten the bleed screw to 10 Nm (7 lb.ft).

9 . Fill the brake fluid reservoir to the MAX mark.

10 .
WARNING: Braking efficiency may be seriously impaired if an incorrect bleed sequence is used.

Repeat the brake bleeding procedure for each brake caliper.

11 . Using T4, bleed the braking system.

12 . Apply the brakes and check for leaks.

13 . Install the cover.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #122593828th Jan 2014 6:44 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I followed this up until point 11, and am confused about the “Using T4, bleed the braking system” statement. Is this something extra that needs to be done?

Thanks
John

Post #122595128th Jan 2014 7:02 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I think that's only if you have replaced the HCU
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #122595428th Jan 2014 7:05 pm
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks alot:)!

But this is standard procedure with the diagnostic tool. Is it possible to change the brake fluid without it? Thinking of bleed etc.
Im not going to replace the HCU, but Im thinking of a complete change of all the fluid.

Post #122596228th Jan 2014 7:11 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've changed mine a while back and, on the basis that I didn't disturb anything upstream (although I did change both rear calipers), I used the manual method - I don't have access to a T4.

I emptied the reservoir with a turkey baster and refilled with fresh fluid. Using a Gunson bleeder (not the pressurized type) I bled in the following sequence - NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF - i.e working from the caliper furthest from the resevoir.

Remember to keep the fluid topped up.

I've had no problems or brown trouser moments in the braking dept - including a '2 feet on the pedal' occasion when a van flipped and slid into my path.

But like all things - make your own choice....
 I see no ships........  
Post #122601728th Jan 2014 8:30 pm
floydstar

United Kingdom 

My wife called and said she had no pressure in brake pedal. This is two weeks after I changed the discs and pads. I didn't touch the brake lines/banjo bolts/fluid. I had secured the caliper up out the way with zip ties whilst changing the discs. On inspection today fluid has leaked out of the banjo both that connects the drivers side front brake line to the caliper. It was loose! I've tightened it.

Pretty much all the fluid is gone from the reservoir. There seems to be two 'bays' in the reservoir, ones empty and ones almost empty, maybe a centimeter left.

Few questions please

1) If the reservoir has run dry does that mean T4 bleeding is required? i.e. is that deemed upstream of the HCU

2) I want to check it's not leaking from the banjo bolt now I've tightened it. I topped up the reservoir with some brake fluid and pumped the pedal to see if still leaking. I tried pumping the pedal with the ignition on and off but I cant get any pressure whatsoever in the pedal so cant confirm if tightening the banjo bolt has cured the problem or there's a split in the pipe somewhere.
Should I be getting some pressure without doing a bleed? (which I will do but want to confirm where exactly it was leaking from and if tightening the bolt has cured it)

3) Should I be able to just bleed the front calipers if indeed it was the front driver side loose bolt that was the issue? or do I need to all corners?

Thanks, Dan.

Post #172263821st Oct 2016 2:39 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Bleed both fronts and see if you can get a firm pedal back for starters

Post #172269921st Oct 2016 5:22 pm
aljo

England 

Could this brake bleeding procedure be done with the IID BT tool
 Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #172272421st Oct 2016 6:42 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Yes but it is only required if the ABS has air in it; but it does make things easier when changing the fluid - brrrp, corner done... brrrp, next corner done.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #172275321st Oct 2016 8:15 pm
anglefire

England 

I used the IID tool and it works well - but still needs someone on the brake peddle and some one on the bleed hose. Took two runs around to get all the air out of mine when I changed the master cylinder and servo - same thing with Bodsy's when we did that one a bit later.

I was one of (The first outside of GAP?) to use the feature and I think was in the process of being refined, which I've no doubt has been done now Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #172275921st Oct 2016 8:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >