Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

GVIF, reversing camera and DVD installation guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

It has been reported that different units have different behaviour with regards to the DIP switches. On my unit which was the base for this document, the switches have been as described to make the unit work as required/described.

In a similar way, I now know of a confirmed case locally where the colours (RED, YELLOW WHITE) on the RCA plugs of AV2 where all wrong - swapping plugs sorts that out.

All I'm saying is that because there are different versions and different suppliers, settings may vary slightly.

@IainC: can you please let me know the DIP positions that worked for you so I can include in the next draft of the doc? Thanks!
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #77527517th Mar 2011 6:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IainC

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nipped out tonight to have a look... took a quick pic of it, but as it's taken in the dark it's not that clear (too much flash reflection).

To have it working properly, I needed to have 1 and 7 on (pushed down the way) and the rest of them off (in the up position). Will see if I get a chance to get a decent pic during the day/weekend.

Just to compare to the document, it said all off bar 1 and 6.

Post #77547517th Mar 2011 8:28 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

wvlenthe wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to do this install hopefully somewhere next week.
Could some of you who have done this pls post a picture of where you put the toggle button for the audio sources (if you have installed this)? Im still a bit puzzled where it will look and work best.

TIA,

Wiljo

I think it looks best here - and very easy to fit with no cutting and no visible cables:

Click image to enlarge

Post #77555917th Mar 2011 10:22 pm
hids4u

Reversing Camera GVIF Instructions

Evening all
I have managed to get the file size down and been able to upload it
These are instructions that I have written and hope that most of you have seen already

The latest units have a slightly different cable connection on the power supply fuse and suppressor and an extra earth. Other than that all should be the same

I will take a pic of the dip switches on my car to tripple check which way round they are. The manufacturer's instructions were simply wrong with on and off the wrong way round

Hope you find mine more helpful

I hadnt heard of the issue of the cables being crossed - so thanks for the info i will feed this back to the manufacturer

Regards

Ian

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0feb11.pdf

Post #77558317th Mar 2011 11:05 pm
discoBizz

Ian (hids4u), good work on finally getting your instructions up Thumbs Up

No offence intended, would you mind putting on a separate thread though? My guide is not a promo document for a particular supplier nor am I affiliated in any way to your company. My guide was voluntary work to the forum, in hope of benefiting anyone who had doubts on DIYing this project (in fact there's a whole lot more to the next version, but takes time to write and take enough pics).

hids4u wrote:

Rolling Eyes Shocked Should we add a poll then? Laughing
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded) 

Last edited by discoBizz on 18th Mar 2011 8:32 am. Edited 5 times in total 
Post #77563818th Mar 2011 7:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Regarding the DIP switches, seeing as the supplied documentation with the units is rather confusing (what is up/down on or off) I will re-write with just "up/down" settings for my unit and any others' that have provided alternative settings that work in their units...
Post #77563918th Mar 2011 7:15 am
matthieup

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Regarding the dip switch, basically if you have no AV sources other than the rev camera, then teh switch for AV1, AV2 and AV3 should be set to bypass them. If any of the AV switch is active, that source will be the default when switching the car on (instead of sat nav)

Post #77565918th Mar 2011 9:42 am
discoBizz

Thanks Thumbs Up

I think switches 1-4 are straight forward, it's 5-7 which seem to have different effects on different units...
Post #77567218th Mar 2011 9:57 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As a matter of interest: Would it be possible to 'operate' a dip switch replacing it with a switch on the dashboard?
I'm going to install a camera on my caravan... will not be towing it most of the time. So it would be nice to be able to select 'caravan not connected' and thereby not going through that input when using the toggle button.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #77567318th Mar 2011 9:59 am
discoBizz

Can't see why not, though it would involve some "operating" on the unit.

TBH though, it's only a quick click of the button to go through that input, would you want the hassle of doing it? Wink
Post #77569218th Mar 2011 10:34 am
wvlenthe

Hi Biz,

I was actually thinking the dip switches could be more like the old pc 'jumper' thingies. I have been thinking about switching it remotely. More because I can than because I need to. Then I received the gvif unit and reconsidered as it will mean I have to open the box and go and solder on the unit...

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #77569618th Mar 2011 10:43 am
hids4u

Re: Reversing Camera GVIF Instructions

hids4u wrote:
Evening all

I will take a pic of the dip switches on my car to tripple check which way round they are. The manufacturer's instructions were simply wrong with on and off the wrong way round

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0feb11.pdf

Biz
The quote was not referring to your instructions but to the manufacturers in the sentence before.

Not sure why you are against me (your supplier) posting instructions for the product you bought and installed so that others can see it and hopefully reduce the number of questions that arise. Am i missing something? or were you just Censored that you thought i was saying mine is better than yours - which i most certainly was not doing Very Happy

Wiljo
The caravan camera can be connected to the Av1, reversing camera to the Av4. So when you tow all you did is hit the toggle switch to get av1 once, and once again to go back. if you want to have something else connected to AV1 when not towing it would be easier to simply plug that into av1 and unplug the caravan camera video lead.

i will try to check the green cable tomorrow - i as far as i can see it is an extra earth that has been added to the filter.

Regards
Ian

Post #77600318th Mar 2011 10:30 pm
discoBizz

v1.1 is finally up Very Happy

See first post Whistle
Post #78037030th Mar 2011 6:04 pm
wvlenthe

flydive wrote:

Connection between GVIF and NAV/DVD player, check they are correct input-output plugs, it easy to swap them, I did that when I first installed it. Try to swap them around

Flydive, do you mean you can swap the plugs that go between satnav and screen (labelled LR IN and LR OUT)??? Aren't they supposed to be a kind of male/female pair?

I don't have satnav image now, just some noise/distorted image with horizontal lines. Image from the camera is fine... could this be the cause?

IanC wrote:

just how feckin' hard it was to push the video cable thru' the ducting from the boot lid to the body of the car

I took both ends off the bodywork. Pushed some stiff steel wire through. Then fixed the connectors to the wire with duct tape and put a drop of dishwashing detergent on. Pulled the connectors through fine. 5 min job.

Wiljo
Post #7821413rd Apr 2011 9:30 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

wvlenthe wrote:
Flydive, do you mean you can swap the plugs that go between satnav and screen (labelled LR IN and LR OUT)??? Aren't they supposed to be a kind of male/female pair?

I don't have satnav image now, just some noise/distorted image with horizontal lines. Image from the camera is fine... could this be the cause?
Wiljo

Well at least in my GVIF unit, which is older than yours it could be done.

I'm talking about the wires coming from the GVIF unit.
The "LCD OUT" goes to the the plug you unplug from the DVD unit
The "LCD IN" goes into the DVD unit, on the right side of the hole
Worth to have a look.

(mine are labelled LCD IN/OUT, yours I understand are LR IN/OUT)

Post #7821543rd Apr 2011 9:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >