Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 20 <123 ... 131415 ... 181920>
Kim M

United Kingdom 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Like a few others on here and Scollis above, my LR3 fell to the ground yesterday.
I'd been out on hte sand for the day, great day too, then two hundred metres from the black top she fell to the ground, lights flashing, warning bings and bongs too.
Tried all sort's of reset, cool down methods but in the end I had to give up and get her recovered.

Now I have had the garage on the phone saying it's not covered in the warranty as she is highly modified!
I'm running BFG 265/65/18's / 30mm spacers / Johnson Rods - it seems as soon as you do anything to make their cars better for the environment your in you take ALL breakages, problems etc in your own hands, even when they have no impact on the functionality of a particular part.

Thoughts on matter would be appreciated but either way I'll keep you informed of the outcome

Post #9187788th Apr 2012 9:28 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Tyres did not jam up the wheel wells?

Many of the guys running longer rods make a habit of putting the original rods back on before their 3 gets to the dealership.

Sometimes just putting the original rods back on and perhaps doing a hard reset puts all back in order again.

It seems that after a workout, sometimes the system can somehow detect that all is not factory and then pulls a fit - like putting on a sit down strike.

The real problem is when oversize tyres top out on the inside of the wheel wheel - that is a showstopper as each corner has to be jacked up and the oversize tyre removed and smaller ones installed just to get the 3 to even roll. In your case, I do not think that happened as the tyres are not too large.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #9187848th Apr 2012 9:53 pm
chevron

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Compressor failure

Had my disco 3 since Feb. Had a 3month warranty from selling garage but topped up with warranty lite for £100. 59,000 miles 2007 .Had the yellow light binging & a bonging 350 miles from home in Durham. "normal height only". Carried on a bit then red light & she goes down to the stops. What a ride, kangarooing at over 20 mph. Drove at 20 to hotel I was staying for 20 horrible miles. Breakdown guy called, thought it was sensors, put his portable computer on everything ok electrically. Looks underneath says he thinks it was compressor. Came back home in 8 hrs on back of several pick up trucks. My local non landie garage said he thought he could do it. Ihr labour it said on his computer. Landie part ordered c £385. Took hom 2.5 hrs but going ok now warning lights back to normal . Warranty direct authorised work so await cheque. Breakdown man said something about recalibration needed - anyone know what he means? Wonder what next fault will be. I do really love her.

Post #95767722nd Jul 2012 3:16 pm
bbyer

Recalibration may mean update the compressor software.

I presume that your independent does not have the LR computer or say a Faultmate that can update the air compressor software to the most recent version.

In brief, when you install a new compressor, LR recommends a software update. The update in part reduces the max operating pressure of the unit so that its life is extended. Also as a part of the update is the replacement of the air compressor relay that is located in the engine compartment fuse and relay box. For more info, look at the relay file in the album link below for details.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3778

If your independent cannot do the update, then for a fee, the update can be done by a LR dealer or by some of the members here on the forum such as Bodsy and Wiggs.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #95769022nd Jul 2012 4:06 pm
chevron

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Many thanks for your input bbyers. A relay was sent by parts dealer with compressor (Land rover call it air supply unit ) They had told my man a new relay would be needed when he made order. (Least of my worries £7!) Your direction to 22 page landie manual also told me no recalibration necessary for fitting this part. This is a wonderful site. (Warranty Direct just published figures showing Landies are worst second hand vehicles for breakdowns. They get 70% of their customers making claims every year! Hondas 10% - still who wants a Honda/)

Post #95919226th Jul 2012 2:34 pm
bbyer

recalibration no, software update yes

Within the text message just below the relay jpg of the link below is the reference to the Land Rover service bulletin LTB00270. This relates to the software update that drops the air compressor nominal operating pressure.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=6

One needs however, either the Land Rover T4 or a Faultmate to install the referenced software update so that can be a problem.

This is also true when recalibration of the wheel height sensors are needed, (usually when more than one is replaced), but as you said, recalibration is not required for an "air supply unit" replacement, just the compressor software update if not previously done.

How does Mercedes or BMW fair with regards to breakdowns or at least the cost of breakdowns? I am more scared of BMW costs than I am of Land Rover, but I wondered how correct I was.
Post #95921326th Jul 2012 4:04 pm
Albert0109

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
suspension bongs

Hi all
just wondered if anyone has experienced the bong warning, nothing written on LCD display but red air suspension warning illuminated on dash for 10 seconds before warning extinguishes ?

Post #97077828th Aug 2012 10:44 pm
WG

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Renewed my compressor a few weeks ago, having waited ages for...not the compressor...there were loads of them around....but the relay, which took 3 weeks to find. LR will not honour the warranty on a new compressor unless a new relay is fitted at the same time. It was a b****r of a job when I finally got the bits. I believe that older models had them nice and clean under the bonnet, and the new Disco4 has it inside the rear body.... mine was covered in muck and the mountings corroded away so only the cover held it in place. If only I could have afforded to pay someone else to do it.

Post #97878518th Sep 2012 7:04 pm
jamesgale1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Normal Height Only-Suspension Fault

Hi,

My D3 has begun to show an amber warning light intermittently over the past two weeks. Been in to one garage and they have said that it is the compressor and that I need a new one...

However, last weekend the rear EPB started to make a loud screeching noise when being released. This jammed on this wed and the RAC came out to release. It went in to another garage this week to fix and to look at the compressor. The garage are saying the the compressor seems fine and that the car seems to be constantly adjusting its height at the front and rear. They claim that it is likely to be a very expensive wiring fault? Is this likely or is it just a faulty compressor throwing up random codes?

Please help!!

Post #97922519th Sep 2012 5:56 pm
jamesgale1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Normal Height Only-Suspension Fault

Hi,

My D3 has begun to show an amber warning light intermittently over the past two weeks. Been in to one garage and they have said that it is the compressor and that I need a new one...

However, last weekend the rear EPB started to make a loud screeching noise when being released. This jammed on this wed and the RAC came out to release. It went in to another garage this week to fix and to look at the compressor. The garage are saying the the compressor seems fine and that the car seems to be constantly adjusting its height at the front and rear. They claim that it is likely to be a very expensive wiring fault? Is this likely or is it just a faulty compressor throwing up random codes?

Please help!!

Post #97922819th Sep 2012 6:00 pm
WG

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

firstly the brakes....problem is often caused by build up of debris inside the drum...this stops the brakes from bedding onto the drum surface and the cables can't pull tight to their proper place and everything has a hissy fit. So before you spend tons of money get someone to take of the drums and clean them out.....has to be someone competent as the HB has to be disabled to do this. This should be done every 10k to 15k to save a lot of irritation. The fact that the drums are fairly well sealed to stop stuff getting in also stops the dust from getting out.
Compressors are a nightmare...the only real solution is to go to a main dealer or really good 4*4 centre to do a full suspension diagnostic - raising lowering etc whilst on the computer - if you think that there is a real problem. Don't forget that the LR will often try to level its self and this can feel weird. I always have to stop for roadworks on a very steep hill on my way up to home...mine moves around quite a bit whilst I'm sitting there...it made me jump the first few times. It does the same if the engine is running and I throw a few bags of cement and sand into the back!
The relay could also be a problem...they do stick and a replacement is less than £10, and not that hard to replace. Again worth a try before spending a lot.
Best of luck
WG

Post #97928919th Sep 2012 8:35 pm
conman69

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension level

Hi folks,

I have noticed my suspension is not sitting level, I don't have any warning lights on the dash either.
I've measured the distance from the centre of wheel to underside of wheel arch

OSF - 47cms OSR - 47cms
NSF - 49cms NSR - 47.5cms

Not sure which posting to out this on as quite a few with suspension probs so apologise if not the correct one

Cheers Thumbs Up
 Discovery3 TDV6 GS
Disco3.co.uk front orange +white tailgate stickers
Belts, pulleys, oil pump replaced, double tow-bar electrics
Land Rover rubber mats throughout, tinted windows, wind deflectors, smoked side repeaters, retro fitted Garmin, smooth leather steering wheel, cruise control + radio switches, 19" HSE wheels, Bearmech side-tubes, BAS IFBH module, roofbars.
LML Star Deluxe 

Post #98047422nd Sep 2012 9:11 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

5mm I think is within tolerance but measure a few times on a comletely flat surface after waiting for it to self level. If you still want it more even get o height calibration done.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #98055422nd Sep 2012 11:53 pm
wp

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
will work when cooled down

i have a problem with my disco 3 it was working fine then today the car is at low entry level as normal when i start the car the compressor kicks in then it raises and of we go.
didnt happen it remains at low height no warning lights only a message on the screen which ststes the vehicle will raise when the system cools down.
confused can any one shed any light as there was no kind of warning no bad noises no warning lights and it just wont raise lower anything .

Post #106114323rd Feb 2013 7:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Compressor is strugling to workso overheats.
Blocked dryer or stuffed compressor. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #106126123rd Feb 2013 10:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 20 <123 ... 131415 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >