Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

car jack collapse !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Redgull wrote:
hi, going to buy a bottle jack, what height does it need to go up to get the wheel off, loads on ebay, is 350mm high enough???

...simple answer is no
have a look through this previous thread..
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic109255-45.html
last couple of pages list some outlets & sizes....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 8th Jun 2014 11:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12953398th Jun 2014 10:55 pm
Redgull

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up thanks mate

Post #12953488th Jun 2014 11:06 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

LT wrote:
I wonder how often the ground is perfectly level when these jacks are used for changing a wheel at the roadside?

I would say rarely - thats why you have the wheels chocks to go under the same axle opposite side wheel...to limit / eliminate the movement of the vehicle when it is jacked
I have jacked the D3 & other cars that when wheel clear the vehicle moves ever so slightly the vehicle settles - I always lower the jack & start again...not an issue when wheel (even punctured one) still on D3/4.
I also have a small square of plywood to go under th jack for soft ground (as is usual at the side of the road)

LT wrote:
used the LR jack a few times, as with all jacks, unless I've got the vehicle on axle stands or similar I make sure I'm not in a position to get hurt if the jack collapses.

you'd be a very very silly to even think about being underneath or unable to move back if the jack collapsed - the danger period is vehicle "UP" & you are removing or replacing the wheel from the hub you have to actually be hold of the wheel to lift it from the floor to the hub...so you are close enough.
always be in a position to roll or move away & not get in the way of a rapidly collapsing vehicle.

what puzzles me is that LR used to supply a hydraulic jack with previous discos....these were stowed in the engine bay so the argument a hydraulic bottle jack doesn't go into where the existing scissor jack fits is correct.....but what possessed them to specify & supply the one they do ?

what gives me nightmares is seeing someone trapped under a vehicle with a failed jack....& having to give help....maybe the one use of a scissors jack that could be justified.

a comparison
- My works vehicle VW Golf has the same type of jack...a scissor...it fastens under the bodywork..but the car is that light you can almost jack it up with a ball point pen as the winder & it doesn't have to go that far up as the suspension travel very short...you dont get wheel chocks
- My Jag XK has the type of scissor jack, is applied to the body of the XK....it doesn't have to go far up as suspension travel isn't that far & the vehicle is relatively light...you do get wheel chocks.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #12953548th Jun 2014 11:17 pm
SN

touch wood I've never had to use the LR Jack - I've always had a trolley jack to hand - even the other week when I lost an MTR outside a compete strangers house

but as mentioned on here, chock it properly, crack the nuts before jacking and always always always shove the spare under the sill whilst you're jacking up and when you swap wheels on the studs, stick the off-coming wheel back under the sill - oh and never stick your head in under the wheel arch Laughing

if the jack lets go because of a mechanical failure then thats a different matter, but at least if you follow the above your chances of getting hurt are extremely low and you can recover the situation (with another jack)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12953819th Jun 2014 12:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you're using the jack as prescribed to change a wheel, why would any part of your body be in a position to get trapped or damaged should it collapse?

I must say I can't think of many scenarios where you'd use it any way: If you get a puncture on the road, let your recovery company deal with it and if you're off road then these jacks are not designed for that so you need to go better prepared. Also its not designed for wheel swapping or lifting to do work under the car, again you need a jack specifically for that.

However, I agree the LR jack is pretty poor, but then scissor jacks in general are poor.

Post #12954039th Jun 2014 7:28 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What if you dont have a recovery service?
Fact still stands that the OEM jack is Censored , and not upto the job of lifting a D3
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #12954099th Jun 2014 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Moo wrote
Quote:
If you're using the jack as prescribed to change a wheel, why would any part of your body be in a position to get trapped or damaged should it collapse?

OK lets break it down into sections...
1) getting jack nto place under the vehicle - not dangerous
2) loosening wheels nuts with vehicle - not dangerous
3) jacking corner of car up - not dangerous providing you are at arms length mode
4) vehicle up - wheel corner off ground - wheel still on - not dangerous
5) removing wheel i.e. slackening nuts - not dangerous until you are down to say the last one
6) removing wheel from hub - dangerous..unless you are a tame gorrila.....the mass (weight in kgs) demands that you are close to the wheel & near the vehicle.. to lift & move it........if the vehicle plummets down so does the wheel...if you are either holding or near the wheel - potentially very dangerous
7) wheel suspended with wheel off...the moments you have the car like this - not dangerous if youre not near the vehicle
eight) placing replacement wheel onto vehicle....you have to lift it to enageg the hub spigot ....again you have to be relatively close to the vehicle....same as (6) - potentially dangerous
9) wheel on wiotha few nuts (even finger tight) - not dangerous
10) lowering car down - - not dangerous
11) tightening all the nuts - not dangerous
12) Removing jack - not dangerous

unless you have different ways of changing a wheel (maybe magic) thats the way it is

of course you can expect to have this done by others...the risks are just the same..the hazard

remains
that is if you use the LR supplied jack or arent carefull with any other jack.
is it realistic to expect you can get a resue service & depend on this ?
or
to expect this reduce the unsafe issue of the LR jack in some way ?

ps..... had to write eight as if you put 8 in a bracket you get a smiley face ...I dont think a smiley face goes in here...
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #12954139th Jun 2014 7:52 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

They have a failure rate just like anything else mechanical. What is fact is the usual scaremongering bull Censored that comes with those occasional failures. Very Happy

Anyway "Mercedes Sprinter Jacks are the answer ....."

Oh wait ......they are a pile of Censored too Whistle Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12954159th Jun 2014 7:56 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep. OEM jack is Censored . In my opinion it should not have been allowed on the vehicle. We're living in a world where everything must be tested to at least 3 times the intended usage before it gets approved. So if destined to lift a 1.5 ton corner of a car, the jack must be tested at least at 4.5 tons. I wonder what the OEM jack was tested on. An empty car without seats? Probably it works fine on a dry weight vehicle but will fail with a full tank of diesel.

Absolute emergency use or not, it should be hefty enough to withstand the intended usage in not-so-ideal conditions. As mentioned previously, you cannot bet on the car needing a spare tyre on level ground on a sunny day. That's why the chocks are provided. Yes axle stands are a necessity in any case. Even for changing a wheel. I always put an axle stand under there before the wheel comes off.

My old Austin Metro 1.0 jack was very very close to the LR OEM jack in terms of heftiness and screw thread and that thing had a kerb weight of 800kg or so. It lasted over 20 years with frequent use (bad roads and bad tyres) on all road surfaces, inclines, declines, using a stone as a chock etc. The only major difference is the LR jack is longer so as to reach higher.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #12954209th Jun 2014 8:01 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That's quite hilarious Very Happy ....lot's of wondering, probably and should be's Rolling with laughter Bow down
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12954249th Jun 2014 8:11 am
Garagegmx

I've used the OEM jack quite a bit. Knowing its limitations is half the battle. I use a block of wood underneath it, make sure as far as practical its level and watch it on the way up. If it leans, then I reposition it and start again. So long as your careful, it can be used for emergencies.

Post #12954319th Jun 2014 8:30 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep... the OEM jack always brings in a lot of "wondering" and "probably" Thumbs Up
Wondering if it will lift the car.... wondering if it will let go at the worst time...
Probably will be fine... oh wait... probably not because I'm on a 0.05 degree incline.
"Oh come on... the failure rate is pretty low (like what... 2%?). On the forums only the people who've had it fail post.... Probably won't happen to me... or maybe I'm about to join the 2%?"

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #12954339th Jun 2014 8:35 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Post #12954369th Jun 2014 8:44 am
SN

what I really don't like about the LR jack is that you have to jack the car so high - when you shove a trolley jack under the wish bone directly behind the wheel you go nowhere near as high
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12954779th Jun 2014 10:18 am
jonnybgud

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I changed all four wheels using the standard jack, didn't look like it had been used previously (no paint missing around the winder)... but it does now its been up & down four times, she's worn out and ready for the bin Neutral

Post #12955199th Jun 2014 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >