Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

A week after my Pilkington was put on the car in early November, sods law - whacked with a large stone the following week. So far, nothing untoward, but my experience of the Shatterproof make would have had me looking for yet another replacement. Pilkington remains my preference - both probably meet same standards, but how does each perform when battered?
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #139788030th Dec 2014 5:45 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just had Autoglass out to replace windscreen , I had told them I wanted Pilkington, so came with Shatteproof!! Fitter said no problem getting Pilkington but office said they had to clear it with Insurer. Just had a call to say NFU have agreed to Pilkington & will advise when it arrives to rebook appointment. Why the variation around the country?

Post #14014195th Jan 2015 6:33 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

my MY15 windscreen took a stone and cracked on 22nd December - Autoglass came on Wednesday 8th Jan with a landrover OEM screen. took a few days due to xmas but as with LR Insurance, a genuine screen was no problem. Thumbs Up

lets hope it doesn't leak Laughing
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #140487210th Jan 2015 9:41 am
Washwipe

England 

Had mine booked in for today, it's not happening, considering when I asked what screen would they be fitting "Pilkington sir, we only fit Pilkington on the Discovery"
They have a Nordglass one to fit, it seems that there is no notes to say I had stipulated a Pilkington, why would there be if they say they only fit Pilkington. Rolling Eyes
Rebooked now for 24th Jan Evil or Very Mad

To be continued.........

Post #140751914th Jan 2015 10:11 am
Discogaz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Came out yesterday morning to a cracked screen so have ordered a new screen to be fitted next Wednesday.

All very strange as no hits or chips and the screen has cracked from under the trim on the offside and is heading towards the middle of the screen.

Requested Pilkington but we will see what they fit.

Post #140752214th Jan 2015 10:18 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Update on mine, eventually cancelled Autoglass as they were still prevaricating about fitting due to weather ( high winds and rain) and availability of screen. Arranged with insurer (NFU) to pay for local dealer to fit OE screen with same excess.

Post #140752414th Jan 2015 10:19 am
Kummu24

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just had to replace my screen. With Admiral and they primarily use Autoglass. As I expected from reading on there, Pilkington was an issue for them. They 'liased' with Insurance who refused (apparantly) and I was told by Autoglass it would cost me £418 extra (over and above excess) if I wanted a Pilkington. Or I could have theirs for just the excess. Usual Censored about being all made in same factory. I used to buy transparencies for aircraft and know of several manufacturers. They may produce for other people in their factories but a) there is more than one factory and b) they produce other brands but to the buyers own spec. Which in no instance will be Optikool other than a Pilkington or Land Rover/Pilkington branded screen

Went back to insurance, and said I wanted Land Rover or Pilkington branded Optikool glass - not fussy which but I stated that Optikool was an advertised feature of Land Rover's. Proprietary technology so no other brand can be like for like. They went off talked to a dealer and confirmed it was standard fit and agreed on the spot. They tried to set it up with Autoglass who couldn't/wouldn't so they set it up with one of their alternate companies. Very happy with Admiral

All done today no problems so far but to be fair still to drive in the daylight

Post #141147120th Jan 2015 11:13 pm
Washwipe

England 

Final episode of my Screen replacement, insured with Admiral, declined Autoglass due to previous dealings, took the second option of Auto Windcreeens.
Was as per my other posts was told by Auto Windscreens, "we only fit Pilkington on the Discovery" yet they arrive with a Nordglass Thud
Rebooked for today, Pilkington Optikool fitted, the part where the LR Logo would be is a black rectangle with the Pilkington motif in the middle, also says Pilkington Optikool, so I'm happy, no other costs other than the £75 excess.
Includes Lifetime guarantee apparently whilst I own the vehicle, includes the Heated Elements apparently, we will see.

Was shown that the heated screen was actually working, they just lay a gauge on the screen like the tape you can stick on aquarium glass to monitor the temperature, turn the screen on and it changes colour as it warms up.

Post #141355724th Jan 2015 3:50 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

My screen got wiped out tonight on the motorway,so need to check tomorrow if I have windscreen cover with Aplan insurance does anyone know who they use Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #142590614th Feb 2015 12:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Issue with new screen(advice please)

Ok so I had a new screen fitted on Tuesday by auto glass I asked for pilkington but got some other make but didn't have the time to rearrange so they had to go on and fit the one they had Rolling Eyes they didn't replace the A trims,there's two small scratches on the inside "drivers side" that Ive just noticed and I took the car out last night for the first time since replacment and on the motorway you can't hear yourself think Shocked sounds like a giant Bee is stuck somewhere so I guess it's not sealed correctly Censored

So my question is where do I stand Question
What I don't want is someone just running some sealer around the glass am I right in asking for it to be replaced again,and if so can I ask they bring the correct screen this time ie pilkington optikool like I asked for the first time.

Apprechate any advice before I get on the dog & bone this morning Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #143456728th Feb 2015 10:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

12 bore handy Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #143457028th Feb 2015 10:29 am
Adimac

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Three weeks wait to get windscreen replaced?

Could use some advice on what to look out for when autoglass replaces d3 windscreen. Currently I am in London with 3 cracks radiating out up to a foot long and being told by autoglass that it's three weeks till it can be done (book on their website and it tells me it can be booked in for next Saturday but when you do it turns out to be pure fiction!!! ). So booked in for 2 weeks time in Scottish Borders but reading these threads I wonder what dubious screen they will turn up with...so what should I expect as a proper replacement? And how do I recognise it. Would I be better getting it done at a dealers and claiming direct to insurers? Any advice please Bow down

Post #14544266th Apr 2015 6:46 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Autoglass are usually fine, but I'd go to a depot rather than a roadside - one a few miles from me so that makes life easier , I'd specify OEM (will have LR written on it) and absolutley make sure A trim clips and seals are all replaced to avoid leaks - apart from that, not a lot really

Post #14547937th Apr 2015 3:16 pm
Washwipe

England 

The one I had fitted a couple of months ago did not say LR or Land Rover on it. Where the Land Rover oval normally is there is a solid black rectangle, below that is the Pilkington Logo and Optikool, now you've go me thinking that mine isn't genuine.

Post #14549377th Apr 2015 8:15 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

All is well if it has the Pilkington and Optikool logos.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14549397th Apr 2015 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >