Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens

Getting very annoyed now. Been very patient so far.

Sent the first fitter away because he didn't have a Pilkington Optikool screen with him. Half day holiday from work wasted.

So I talked to Privilege about OEM glass which they agreed to. They even called Rochester Autoglass to tell the manager he needed to get the authorisation not me as he'd tried to tell me.

The second Autoglass guy comes out without the agreed screen. This time I waited in till 4pm on a Saturday when I could have been visiting friends. This guy knew nothing about the OEM screen I was promised and calls his depot. He gets off the phone and tells me apparently there are no unbranded Pilkington Optikool screens in their nationwide stock and there won't be as LR are no longer releasing unbranded screens to the market.

Am I being given the run around by Autoglass or does anyone know if this is either true or plausible?

I really don't want to have to accept a non OEM screen and don't see why I should when so many on here get the right screen.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #13080217th Jul 2014 4:50 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Not sure I understand - have you not just asked for a LR branded one? - surely that would be OK?

Post #13080237th Jul 2014 4:52 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I don't think its LR that release the screens.....it's Pilkington themselves Confused
I had mine replaced recently,by National windscreens,and they fit the Pilkington Optikool as a matter of course.....had a good chat with my local branch manager,and the one I got fitted is manufactured,produced and comes off exactly the same line as the ones released to LR to factory fit.The only difference is the ones released to the market aren't brand stamped with the LR logo.....
I think its time for another phone call......
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13080277th Jul 2014 5:04 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Just checked mine (replaced by Autoglass, albeit 2 years ago), LR Branded Pilkington Optikool

Post #13080337th Jul 2014 5:24 pm
paulmeryan

I read your recent thread Euan, which confirms Pilkinton still makes Optikool screens for the general market. Or at least they did until May this year.

Autoglass' second fitter claims Pilkington no longer do this and all Optikool screens now go to LR. A LR stamped screen costs considerably more than the identical screen without the LR stamp.

I just had an very frustrating call with Autoglass where I had to listen to a 'call handler' feed me the same line repeatedly. Basically they agree with the insurer to fit screens to the original equipment manufacturer specification from whichever source they can get them, but not necessarily branded screens be they LR or Pilkington. I calmly explained that was not what Privilege approved and I will accept nothing else and would they communicate clearly with one another and if they are not able to send a fitter out with the exact glass I expect to kindly do me the courtesy of letting me know so I don't waste any more time on this. I managed to stay clam but my frustration was clear.

My suspicion is Autoglass has an agreed price with the insurer for each vehicle regardless of what screens they actually fit and if they can fob you off with a cheaper item they grow their margin.
Post #13080367th Jul 2014 5:28 pm
paulmeryan

adam wrote:
Just checked mine (replaced by Autoglass, albeit 2 years ago), LR Branded Pilkington Optikool

My car is 2006 though Adam. I believe cars under 3 years get the LR screen as a matter of course.
Post #13080387th Jul 2014 5:29 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Paul - I had to specifically order (and wait a few days longer for) the LR one - and I did have to pay a bit more on the excess (only a few ££ ISTR)

Post #13080447th Jul 2014 5:40 pm
therealboss

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I rang Autoglass and requested Pilkington Optikool, they came today and fitted it but the only had a heated screen in stock, but it is Pilkington Optikool so I told them to fit it.

Their fitter was very professional, one clip broke but he pointed it out to me and will arrange to have it fitted over the next few days.
 Dale

Mods to date.
D4 Rear Lights
Xenon Lights fitted & De-Tangoed
RAI, V8 Brake Upgrade, AMK Compressor
Beanie Grill
ProSpeed Roof Rack & Ladder
ProSpeed Tree/Rock Sliders
Disco3.co.uk Orange Sticker
ATR's Fitted
Club Blackvue 

Post #13080517th Jul 2014 5:55 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

paulmeryan wrote:
Autoglass' second fitter claims Pilkington no longer do this and all Optikool screens now go to LR.

Paul,I will try to ring National Windscreens tomorrow,and find out if this is horse Censored ...if it is the case,I can see voluntary windscreen excess for Discovery owners being bumped up Rolling Eyes .....Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13080627th Jul 2014 6:26 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Paulmeryan

I had the same some weeks ago...believe it or not National Windscreens...
look here:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic112843....windscreen
same thing exactly
1)...they said the insurance company had limits & so I had to take their option a non OEM screen
2) ....called my insurers..thay said it wasn't the case I could have a Pilkington screen...
3) then none available - but many in stock at LR (next day)
4..I did the bluff of saying how much to fit the screen if I got it & made a claim froth cost - I bought the screen myself...
5) then their purchasing had to find one & get it to the National Windscreen outlet I used (Huddersfield)
6) it took from late tuesday to the friday for them to source one & was fitted the following Monday..
check with your insurers that you can have an OEM one...my insurer's usually do what the windscreen company supply but conceded the OEM Pilkington one & thats what was fitted...
It seems National Windscreens make lots of revenue on fitting one thing (it would be their cheap option & claiming for the OEM one..just check & insist
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #13080887th Jul 2014 7:03 pm
Pelyma

England 

Autoglass fitted a Pilkington screen to my 06 Disco a week or so ago.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #13080917th Jul 2014 7:11 pm
richuk

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Pilkington screen fitted to mine about 8 weeks ago. Autoglass fitted it. I had a long discussion on the phone when the appointment was made and made it very clear that if they arrived with a non Pilkington screen that they would be turned away. They tried to fob me off with a story about them all being the same.... They said the excess would be higher, but it wasn't. When the fitter arrived though, he couldn't have been any better. He came complete with a new set of exterior trims (as the clips always break apparently). He said that wasn't on the order initially, but he personally always adds them.
 Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat 

Post #13080947th Jul 2014 7:19 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Sorry...was on the...

Planet Zog...thought it was National windscreen issue, issue
same principle though
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #13081127th Jul 2014 7:46 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Trouble is, the windscreen manufacturers, fitters and insurance companies are all working together on this.

Legally you can demand a ‘like for like’ replacement from your insurance company (especially if you start questioning the quality of the cheap Chinese copy screens), but that really throws a spanner in their cosy deals.

When Privilege (part of Direct Line) refused me an OEM screen on a 3 month old Disco, they ended up getting out of the legal requirement by saying I hadn’t been charged for the windscreen cover - “it was a free gift” with my insurance, so I didn’t have a say in the matter!

Needless to say I purchased the proper screen direct from LR got a local fitter to instal and then claimed the whole lot back - which Privilege then paid, (minus my excess).

Obviously. never using Privilege or Autoglass again! Evil or Very Mad

Post #13081527th Jul 2014 8:47 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

6 weeks ago Autoglass fitted my 05 with a Solarshield make. Never looked at time. Should I Big Cry . This was a refit as the first one was not aligned to top of roof line properly. Best fit I have had in 5 screens since new.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #13081537th Jul 2014 8:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >