Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TDV6 preventative big end bearing replacement in situ.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for all the feedback...

Keep it coming as there really is a fear culture running in SA = everyone is questioning is mine next, identifying the cause is critical. This can only be done by understnading if the problem is real (which it is no doubt) but in reality is it going to happen to yours from a statistical perspective. Without doubt the failure rate in SA appears higher.

I want to address this and all the other common problems on the D3 as it is the most fantastic vehicle as long as the issues can be addressed economically, which I think mot are in the UK.

I will highlight these in a later post just want to focus on bearing failure first. Some mention has been made that the harmonic balancer partially failing could be causing crank failure, any views here on this?

Post #144306015th Mar 2015 3:02 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Theres lot and lots of vehicles out there with the same oil filter set up as the D3, ie in the V or high mounted.

There are yes. VW PD and pre PD diesel engines being one of many. The oil light doesn't extinguish on cranking on those either. However the VW diesel is known for its durability and high mileage ability.
There is something that is causing bearing failure on the TDV6, quite what is going to take some working out.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #144309115th Mar 2015 4:18 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

longclose wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback...

Keep it coming as there really is a fear culture running in SA = everyone is questioning is mine next, identifying the cause is critical. This can only be done by understnading if the problem is real (which it is no doubt) but in reality is it going to happen to yours from a statistical perspective. Without doubt the failure rate in SA appears higher.

I want to address this and all the other common problems on the D3 as it is the most fantastic vehicle as long as the issues can be addressed economically, which I think mot are in the UK.

I will highlight these in a later post just want to focus on bearing failure first. Some mention has been made that the harmonic balancer partially failing could be causing crank failure, any views here on this?

The harmonic damper is a critical item on an engine. They are there to damp out resonances in the crank. Crank resonance can and does cause the crank to fail. Have you ever seen a glass shatter by a singer, singing the same note as the glass "ring" when tapped. The crank will do the same if it's natural resonance isn't damped out. Wink
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #144309715th Mar 2015 4:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >