Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Death of another 2.7 (fun poll attached)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
What was the exact manner of death?
Oil pump casing tensioner mount. Never mind aluminium, they should make them out of titanium.
17%
 17%  [15]
Main bearings. Someone removed them and replaced them with cheese
31%
 31%  [27]
Oil filter. Installed by someone with the mechanical abilities of Papa Smurf
10%
 10%  [9]
Small rip in the space/time continuum caused the engine to temporarily orbit Venus, and the heat stress melted the heads
40%
 40%  [35]
Total Votes: 86

DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

My wife once declared loudly in a LR dealer in Inverness "If you get another LR I'll divorce you". Well she didn't as it was for her!

Not sure she'd be as understanding next time. Whistle

Post #16213016th Mar 2016 10:20 pm
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
If it's not rotating, then snapped crank has to be the one. Thumbs Up

So sad to RIP, however, like a Phoenix from the flames, I suspect that this isn't the end of the road for this beast. Thumbs Up

Looks like we have a winner Thumbs Up

Front end is stripped, crank bolt still in place. But I have about 20 mm of fore and aft movement at the crank pulley, and about 15 mm of up and down. The oil seals both front and rear have leaked (and I noticed it start a couple of weeks ago http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic141967.html which was perhaps an early symptom of it's impending death.)

Attempting to turn the crank by hand does nothing except produce some very expensive sounding noises in some very graunchy spots.

In terms of the phoenix rising from the ashes, SWMBO has given the go ahead for an engine replacement. She likes the car, and the cost of flogging this one, and buying a new alternative is unpalatable.

So where you in the UK have Jaguars, Peugeots and Citroen that use the same engine to choose from, we have the rather lousy Ford Territory (which still has the 2.7 in it's line up). It's a straight swap too, except the sump, pulleys and a couple of ancillaries.

A quick browse through the classifieds reveal a 30,000km old engine from a 2014 Territory can be had for AU$3500.

Time to make a few phone calls, try to clear some crap out of the shed, and get cracking.

Post #16213467th Mar 2016 12:40 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Excellent news, and praise be to the automotive gods in the former antipidean colonies. I so love it when a plan comes together!!

Click image to enlarge

Post #16213507th Mar 2016 12:47 am
WillyEckerslike

SWMBO was more like Hannibal Lecter than Hannibal Smith when it first happened Laughing

Interesting phone call with a scrap dealer, asking me what the new engine was going in. When I explained, he told me the last few 2.7s he's sold have been for D3s.

Post #16213547th Mar 2016 1:19 am
DSL

Ukraine 

You are brave beyond the meaning of the word brave!! SWMBO could be lurking!! Mind you if they did we'd soon see a culling of numbers with what we've said. Whistle

Post #16213557th Mar 2016 1:40 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
My wife once declared loudly in a LR dealer in Inverness "If you get another LR I'll divorce you". Well she didn't as it was for her!

Not sure she'd be as understanding next time. Whistle

Would have been cheap at twice the sticker price... Whistle Whistle Laughing

My guess was wrong.

Good to see it shall live to fight another day.

Post #16214927th Mar 2016 2:13 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Will stick with SWMBO, better the devil you know. Thumbs Up

And I am so dead if she reads this, even if I'm a good few thousand miles away. Whistle

Post #16215077th Mar 2016 2:35 pm
Rich84

Australia 

WillyEckerslike wrote:
SWMBO was more like Hannibal Lecter than Hannibal Smith when it first happened Laughing

Interesting phone call with a scrap dealer, asking me what the new engine was going in. When I explained, he told me the last few 2.7s he's sold have been for D3s.

Hopefully this doesn't become common knowledge among these people... Don't want the price of the Territory engines going through the roof!

Best thing about the Territory engine is turbo, injectors, HPFP are all the same as the LR Euro IV parts.
 2008 RRS TDV6 - Chawton White/Black/Lined Oak - 20's, h/k, sunroof - 350K KM.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line - Phamtom Black/exclusive 2-tone valcona 184K
2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8t Q Sport - Phantom Black/black 385K KM
1990 Nissan Pintara TRX - red - lots of mods - 439K KM 

Post #16222368th Mar 2016 10:50 pm
WillyEckerslike

It sounds like there's a few clued up on that already, Rich. Just got to find the ones that never remove their Ford blinkers, who don't know that there other makes out there! Laughing

Just as a comparison, a quote for the same engine, just out of a D3 instead of a Territory and with 120,000 on the clock, was $6900.

Post #16222448th Mar 2016 11:02 pm
WillyEckerslike

Well look what turned up today....

A 24 month old Ford Kidney, in a curious metallic diahorrea.

Look familiar?

Just waiting for the battery to charge, so that I can make sure the heart beats as it should, then the job for the week is to rip the heart out, drag the D3 to my mate's house to use his hoist to lift the body, pull the old motor out and stick the new one in.

Seemples. Laughing [/img]

Post #16340321st Apr 2016 2:46 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Look at all that space around the engine AND a fuel filter in a sensible place Thumbs Up

Post #16340351st Apr 2016 6:02 am
garrycol

Australia 

Broken cranks - consensus seems to be spun big end bearings up in some of the front conrods leading to crank failure in the front half of the crank.

Main reason for these spun bearings is lack of tabs on the shells which in some circumstances lead to them being able to move. (I think but am not sure that later engines post 07 have tabs in them and this does include the version in the Territory making them a good swap.

Now I have heard of loose big end nut/bolts, poor oil etc in engines with lower km that has been the cause, but as engines are getting to higher kms it is also becoming a more common occurance.

In this case my thought is the issue is simple normal wear in the bearing shells - at some where around 200,000km even with the correct oil and oil changes the bearings will have substantial wear opening up the gap between the crank journal and the bearings - all normal as an engine wears but due to the genius who designed these without tabs the clamping force that holds the bearings in place is not longer there due to increased gap and they start to move and sooner or later spin and the conrods then place shock loads on the crank that it was not designed to take and sooner or later breaks.

My thoughts - what are the thoughts of the learned formites - we are not talking about early failures but those which occur with high kms on them and apparently have been correctly serviced.

Garry

Post #16340381st Apr 2016 6:16 am
WillyEckerslike

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Look at all that space around the engine AND a fuel filter in a sensible place Thumbs Up

AND I think I can get to the bellhousing bolts without needing to have an extra hinge put in my arms. Laughing

Last edited by WillyEckerslike on 1st Apr 2016 7:04 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #16340391st Apr 2016 6:28 am
WillyEckerslike

Garry, I can't disagree at all with what you have written. The only extra point I would make is that the extra shock load from the gap in the big ends could very well have a detrimental effect on the main bearings too, leading to greater wear, and then failure. Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

In my case, I am taking the leaking front and rear seals (which only started a couple of weeks before the engine went) as evidence of there being some degree of oscillation in the crank. And that can only happen if the mains are worn, or there is some flex in the crank.
If it had been just one seal leaking, I'd discount it, but both ends of the crank leaking at once?

When it's out, I'll be able to pull it apart, and we'll know for sure.

Post #16340401st Apr 2016 6:38 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Tabbed bearings from 3.0 D4 onwards according to person i bought my crank and bearings from.

Post #16341161st Apr 2016 9:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >