Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Performance Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I suspect the company is called DMS an offshoot of a VW/Audi Tuner called AMD who set up on their own.

I understand from a contact that this guy sends your ecu off to a 3rd party to do the upgrade. Nice money for a middle man Wink

Post #13519th Mar 2005 11:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The DMS article is in this weeks Autocar (dated 8 March 2005).

Their sum up :

For - Huge performance improvement
Against - Bye-bye warranty

0-60 now 9.3sec (2.9secs faster than standard)
0-100 now 32.2sec (10.6secs faster)
BHP now - a claimed 233bhp up from 193bhp
Torque now - a claimed 376ib ft up from 328ib ft

They say they had two reservations with the D3 when they road tested it... too slow and too thirsty.

Personally nearly 30MPG and a healthy turn of speed and pulling power in the standard TDV6 leaves me well pleased... yes quicker is nice but slowing a car like this size down is strain enough without all that extra oomph that a warranty breaking ECU patch gives.

Can see the point kinda, but would never do this (well not while its covered by LR warranty)

-s

Post #13729th Mar 2005 10:05 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I agree with Simon,

I used to have my D2 chipped, and it sorely needed it but the D3 is getting faster all the time as I'm "running it it". I tried my local dealer's chipped D3, which was fantastic but this came at a price, whihc money aside could mena bye-bye to the warranty, but worse than that the turbo kicked in all the time and for such a quiet and refined beast it meant it was substancially noisier and maybe I'm getting old, I'd prefre the car to be more refined and quiet to drive in.

I've though long and hard about the chip, and it wasn't DMS or turbochips' chip set and feel this car actually doesn't need it. It is nearly 3 tonnes, and it's a miracle each time the brakes stop it, so adding extra oomph might mean one day it wont stop, and that a whole lot of damage to my pride and joy, and perhaps the death of the tin box on wheels in front of me.

What I'm interested in is that Tirbochip immediately wish to sell on their chipped D3, Hmmmmm

Smile

Post #13769th Mar 2005 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

Well if you wish to donate £40,000 towards our new Range Rover Sport then we'll happily keep the Disco 3.

We're selling it because we cannot finance an unlimited amount of development vehicles and for no other reason...unless of course you'd like to suggest otherwise Wink

Post #13819th Mar 2005 11:38 pm
Pelyma

England 

Congratulations Turbo Chip, it seems you have the fastest diesel LR built - according to LROI as the only one to beat yours was a 4.7 RR! How will you have a chipped RRS out on launch day?

Post #139611th Mar 2005 9:53 am
FamilyMan

LROI ?....a magazine?
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #139811th Mar 2005 10:09 am
1955diesel

It took a team two years to calibrate the LR chip, supported by test beds, rolling roads and testing all over the world. Perhaps they were just not trying very hard. Rolling Eyes
Turn the boost up, throw some fuel in, job done! Very Happy

Post #139911th Mar 2005 10:11 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

LROI = Land Rover Owners International Magazine.

Available in all good newsagents Wink

Currently features the Disco3 "under roading"

-s

Post #140611th Mar 2005 3:16 pm
LRtuning

Landrover certainly didnt spend 2 years on the engine management system considering its been in the Jaguar S type for at least 9 months previously Wink

As for 'turning the fuel up' I think you msitake us for that other so called expert tuner called S****CH**S who do excatly that.

They actually told one of our customers that only 30bhp extra was possible without smoke levels being too great...however they failed to mention to the customer that if you do a 'complete and thorough' approach on the engine management system it is possibel to get 60bhp without smoke!

We spent over 100 hours on a dyno with our Disco3 before releasing the software....you wont find any other tuner in the Landrover world that goes that far Wink

Post #141111th Mar 2005 8:30 pm
Pelyma

England 

lol @ turbochip! I like the sound of what you do, the extra torque in particular, but I have to say I'm a bit of a coward, firstly the warranty issue worries me on a £42K car and secondly the long term effect on my engine if I keep the car more than 3 years.

Post #141311th Mar 2005 11:31 pm
LRtuning

We have one German customer who has done over 25,000 kms in his car in 6 weeks and he 'thrashes the pants 'off it every single day.

It doesnt use a drop of oil and it starts without fail every morning and he wants even more power Wink

Post #141412th Mar 2005 8:21 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

In my experience a remapped ECU can give an amazing power boost. A lot of the boys on the offroad competition circuit use boosted Tdi's and TD5's (no TDv6's yet though, hate to think what that engine would cost to drop into a Defender !). The chipping can change the character of the vehicle quite markedly. In some cases the vehicle can take on the characteristics of a scalded cat, brilliant for quick get aways but actually quite wearing when used everyday.

What I would like to see is a switchable ECU, whereby you can choose from several settings to suit your particular need (or mood) at the time. For example, the D3 auto already has a "sport mode" but as far as I can tell that simply resets the gearbox and leaves the ECU untouched. I imagine it would be really quite easy for the act of selecting sport mode to also bring in a remapped setting on the ECU giving more power whilst in that mode, with the ability to return to standard setting at the flick of a switch (or sidways movement of the gear selector). That to my mind would be a "best of both worlds" situation and one that would be very attractive to me.

Couple of other thoughts

- what impact does a chip have on insurance cover and premium ?
- what group discount might be available ?
- can you get a try before you buy (possibly a sale or return) ?
- is anyone offering an intercooler upgrade as well yet ?
- if the chip upgrade is so good, why doesn't LR offer it as standard or at least an option ?
- is the Range Rover Sport (RRS) TDv6 going to have the same ECU setting as the D3, or are we expecting a higher output. As far as I am aware the RRS has the same engine and gearbox as the D3, so if that has higher outputs, I guess that means LR are happy for the D3 to go the same way ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #142813th Mar 2005 8:58 am
LRtuning

I'll try and answer as you asked Wink

what impact does a chip have on insurance cover and premium ?
" Ring your insurance company and ask-some customers have had premium increased by 10% annually but some insureres wont cover you at all. But if LR dealers cant find the conversion neither can an insurance company.

- what group discount might be available ?

5% up to 3 buyers
7% for 3 and above

- can you get a try before you buy (possibly a sale or return) ?

No try before you buy on your own vehicle but you're welcome to try our own development car Wink

- is anyone offering an intercooler upgrade as well yet ?

Not yet but why do you want to spend £500 + for 10 bhp more Wink

- if the chip upgrade is so good, why doesn't LR offer it as standard or at least an option ?

Land rover produce a "one product suits all' and it is a compromise situation which we are able to exploit. 95% of the Disco3's will be used on road where performance matters.

- is the Range Rover Sport (RRS) TDv6 going to have the same ECU setting as the D3, or are we expecting a higher output. As far as I am aware the RRS has the same engine and gearbox as the D3, so if that has higher outputs, I guess that means LR are happy for the D3 to go the same way ?

We understand exactly same ecu/engine set up on RR Sport although a 220 bhp version has been suggested by a few Wink

Hope this info helps Wink

Post #143113th Mar 2005 11:27 am
FamilyMan

I'd like to know more about how the driving experience over the standard ecu compares for day to day driving. Also what changes I'd should expect to find with fuel consumption again for day to day. I expect consumption goes up when your using the torque ( I'm driving Twisted Evil ) but what about when the wife uses it Confused ?
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #143413th Mar 2005 12:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

How does the chip work with the Terrain Response? The TR changes the character of the engine to suit different driving conditions. For instance, if you select Gravel/Grass/Snow it deadens the throttle response, and alters the gear changes. If you select Sand, it takes off like a scalded cat and holds onto the gears for much longer!

Does your modification affect all programs, or just the road setting? Does the D3 already have what Smarticus was asking, i.e A Switchable Chip? If I did not want to ever go and drive in the sand (highly likely in the UK), then could you not use that setting and alter it for Fast Road instead?? - just a thought. Rolling Eyes

Post #143513th Mar 2005 4:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >