Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Performance Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Turbochip:

A couple of questions – can the upgrade be “rolled back” to the standard LR one? e.g.. if warranty issues come up. I appreciate what you say about the upgrade being undetectable by LR diagnostics, but who's to say this won’t change in the future?

Again, whilst you say that the LR diagnostics won’t see the upgrade, isn’t getting the upgrade done at your local LR dealer a bit of a giveaway? Wink

Post #19287th Apr 2005 11:53 am
BN

England 

Thats a good question nightfox, I was going to ask that also. Confused

Post #19387th Apr 2005 4:06 pm
Pelyma

England 

I don't think Turbochip means LR dealer, the company has a network of dealers/fitters of the upgrade. My boss had an audi chipped and the company doing it was approved by Audi, its a shame LR couldn't take this stance with vehicles in countries with decent fuel.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #19437th Apr 2005 4:26 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

The conversion can be 'rolled back' at any time althought it would carry a labour charge to do so of £125 + vat

The conversion is totally undetectable to ALL LR Main Dealer systems Wink

Post #253019th Apr 2005 8:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I was looking at buying a diesel Range Rover from Stratstone in Mayfair about a year ago and I enquired about whether they would be getting the revamped 3 litre diesel from BMW (the 200bhp plus version that goes in the 5 series). They said no but that for another grand they would arrange to have it chipped - said that they'd done this on a number of customer vehicles. I don't think it was Turbochip - I think it was the guys in Buckingham whose name I can't remember, though they've had some good press on the Touareg forum where a number of owners have chipped their 2.5 TDIs.

The sales guy said that, since the power was still some way below that of the 4.4 petrol, many insurance companies were pretty cool about it. I would never recommend that you do it without informing your insurer. Do you really want to run the risk that you hit and injure someone and the ins company uncovers the chipping and you're uninsured. If you don't want to pay the excess premium, don't do it. I would expect that the chipping firms, if they're really interested in winning business, should be working with the insurance companies to get a list of them that are happy to insure post chipping for owners.

Post #253219th Apr 2005 9:43 am
LRtuning

We have contacted several major insurers and they always say it is down to their customers to contact them for advice.

I have made approaches to all the aftermarket warranty companies and as yet none of them will negotiate a reasonably priced deal.

If any forum memeber can assist us in this we would be happy to arrange additional cover...it's not for the want of trying Wink

Post #253419th Apr 2005 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Victor

Luxembourg 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

turbochip, are there any plans to have a dealer in France or Belgium? I am living in Luxembourg and would be interested in getting the upgrade.
 Discovery TDV6 HSE 01/2005  
Post #33138th May 2005 11:18 pm
LRtuning

We currently receive engine computers from all over europe but we are in the process of agreeing contracts with several tuners in europe.

Post #33269th May 2005 8:55 am
Keith Walshe

I want to put a few points based on my experience with a Td5 chipping. As background I am a self employed electrical consulting engineer and I also run a BSc and MSc course in power electronics.

1) The first criterion was that I would not accept anything that invovled removal of the original chip set in the engine management unit (EMU).

2) The next was that I would not use any external systems that required a modification to or clipping on/into the existing wiring.

3) Thirdly I wanted a system were a competant LR service contre could set and test the result on a rolling road.

The first 2 points are self expalnatory but the last is the real killer. As received from the supplier, the system had new settings but when put on my engine on a rolling road there was still performance to be had based on air:fuel ratios and exhaust temepratures. Furthermore these adjustable chip sets allow you to have the engine tuned for what you want to use the vehicle for.

I ended up with the Unichip from Dastek and had a LR specialst install it. The system comes with plugs that take the existing LR plugs so there is no physical or electronic changes to the original EMU. The results are very good but there is one important qualification; not enough attention had been given to the mounting of the external modules (there are two of them) and in my view the extended cable loom ought to have been screened.

I understand that a Unichip will shortly be availble for the Tdv6 and I will be having a serious think about it.

Post #336210th May 2005 1:07 am
LRtuning

Maybe...I'm a bit slow here...but what point are you trying to make?

We do not remove any chips from any ecu's

We do not use 'plug in' or 'wire in' devices

All our products are undetectable to the LR dealer tools including the the latest software releases as of last week.

Are you aware that UNICHIP is basically an 'interceptor' box that alters signals 'in and out' of the ecu.

I appreciate that you are an academic but it then so are many people involved in the development of all our products.

Post #336810th May 2005 9:38 am
nobbyclark

Has anyone tried a "Tunit" in their D3? www.tunit.co.uk. Not as powerful as the Turbochip but can be installed by the owner.

I contacted them re my TDi 300 (to be replaced by a D3 later this year, despite the horror stories I've read on this site...) and they will part-ex the TDi unit for the D3 one when I get the new car. Which is nice. And, no, I don't work for them...

Post #339011th May 2005 5:07 pm
LRtuning

I am sure the tunit will work but it can only alter common rail fuel pressure which means 2 things:

1) Extra power produced will be limited to around 40 bhp more
2) It will overwork the fuel pump and may lead to seal failures and associated problems

Post #339511th May 2005 7:47 pm
PhatPhil

turbochip wrote:
Maybe...I'm a bit slow here...but what point are you trying to make?

We do not remove any chips from any ecu's

We do not use 'plug in' or 'wire in' devices

All our products are undetectable to the LR dealer tools including the the latest software releases as of last week.

Are you aware that UNICHIP is basically an 'interceptor' box that alters signals 'in and out' of the ecu.

I appreciate that you are an academic but it then so are many people involved in the development of all our products.

Are you using serial port tuning then? Software only alterations?

Post #343614th May 2005 6:30 pm
LRtuning

At present we have to remove the ecu and use a 'bench flash' facility but we are hoping to have a serial/obd solution in about 3 months.

We only alter the 'on road' engine maps with in the the ecu software.

Post #344114th May 2005 8:07 pm
LRtuning

Range Rover Sport Upgrades

Just to inform members who may be considering purchasing a RR Sport. We carried out our first modification to a RR Sport TDV6 yesterday and managed to produce another 65bhp and 140lbft torque without smoke Wink

Post #359921st May 2005 3:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >