Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
MalBow

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

they are right behind where the aux socket is on the higher models, so surely they go to the aux input on the radio? there ids also the handy 12v wires so you can charge your unit without taking up any of the front 12v sockets which i use for phone chargers! Im planning on fitting a Harmon Kardan drive + play behind the centre console using the plugs i found then connect my ipod to it for totally wired hidden sound!

Post #4203512th Feb 2006 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

MalBow,
Any chance of some photo's of the connectors?

Cheers

Post #4209212th Feb 2006 7:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Green, not gray ?

Hi,

I tried to modify mine today but unfortunately there was no such colors blue+red+black in the gray center connector on the passanger side. I have normal European model (not UK).

The latest accessory fitting instruction talk about GREEN connector for the DVD system. It's under the same panel on passenger side. Should we try that to get the I-pod fitted ? That green connector ends there i.e. nothing connected.

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #4241914th Feb 2006 8:42 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

OffRoader, have you figured out right cable fitting for Aux -input? I haven't been able figure it out by myself Confused

Post #4462827th Feb 2006 7:27 pm
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not yet. It might be that manual transmission has different cabeling, at least the DVD fitting instructions are different than to Auto gearbor.

My plan is now to buy i-pod video 60 GB and FM transmitter to it (illegal or not, who cares.. Twisted Evil )
I'm looking to order those from US, about half of the price in there compared to UK or Finland.

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #4487628th Feb 2006 7:55 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it

cotefarmboy wrote:
4. Using a standard commercially available 3.5mm stereo extension lead (Maplins etc) simply solder the lead into the red blue and black wires. Red and blue are left and right channel and black is ground/screen.

Sorry to sound thick (too late!), but I've just got round to sorting out a Maplins extension lead, and there's no ground. Just the L & R channel.

Before I pull the LR connector to pieces, will the cable work without 'ground', or am I using the wrong sort of cable, or am I missing something particularly simple?

Cheers
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4984524th Mar 2006 1:51 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

If you're using a standard 3.5mm headphone plug/socket extension there will be a ground/screen wrapping the red and black cores. You will see it when you chop one end off to solder into the connector block. Each cable core will have an inner then a plastic sheath then a braided screen then the outer plastic sheath. Just twist the 2 screen cores from left and right together, insulate and solder into the ground connector. Without this you will get interference through the stereo.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #4985324th Mar 2006 2:07 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Many thanks. Will investigate closely this evening!
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4986324th Mar 2006 3:02 pm
HarrisonB

England 

Andy, works a treat thanks Very Happy

The cable I got from Maplins is a NIKKAI Connect (order code L35BR for a 3 metre). When I cut off one end I found the shielding around the left/right as described. The ipod sounds great and so does my £40 1Gb Logic mp3 player.

Thanks again.
 D3 gone for now  
Post #518733rd Apr 2006 9:05 pm
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did this modification today. It was harder than expected to pull off the kick panel, but I was probably just being nervous about pulling bits off my new car! Couldn't get the wires to release from the terminal block, so I just cut them off. Soldered the wires to a headphone extension lead (£2), from which I'd cut one connector. Cable hides away easily, and now my iPod is sorted!

Total time taken about half an hour.

Thanks for the info on doing this - I had been quoted £200 for a professional iPod connection!
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #525067th Apr 2006 4:31 pm
Tony Tiger

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
my ipod can live again

Very Happy Just wanted to say a big thanks on the tips on the ipod installation on the (S model) via aux. I searched high and low and nobody wanted to know. The job is relatively straight forward, had difficulty getting the wires out of the grey connector too, so I cut the wires also. did a clean job, everything insulated, job done. The bonus is the excess cable is very easy to hide. got the Nikkai 24k gold cable (L45AU) in Maplins for you audiophiles out there. Happy days.

Post #7786811th Aug 2006 10:31 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

OffRoader wrote:
My plan is now to buy i-pod video 60 GB and FM transmitter to it (illegal or not, who cares.. Twisted Evil )
I'm looking to order those from US, about half of the price in there compared to UK or Finland.

Beware... Prices in the US are without Taxes as you probably know...

That means that DHL or FEDEX or UPS might present you the stuff alongside an order to pay for the local taxes in your country. It happened again for me when buying a backpack in the US... Sad

The franchise seems to be at around 150€ in France (Which was 1.000FF in the past...). Pass that mark and you get taxed... Stay below and you'll get your stuff duty free... I don't know how it works for you ! Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #7792012th Aug 2006 8:08 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

OffRoader wrote:
My plan is now to buy i-pod video 60 GB and FM transmitter to it (illegal or not, who cares.. )

Has anyone used this setup successfully? I have checked a few sites and there seams to be mixed feedback on how the FM transmission works.

I too would like this simple option.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #7993022nd Aug 2006 12:24 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

I've tried the FM transmitter (Griffin iTrip) and it works ok - quality is (Shocked unsurprisingly) that of a radio station.
Just remember that the aerial on the car is after the C pillar, so if you have your 'pod on the dash, the reception is not as good as if it were in the 'boot'.
Better to plug it in so as to get better quality and a charge.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7995322nd Aug 2006 1:19 pm
OMAHA

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi there,
Ive tried this http://support.dension.com/dension/icelinkfm.php setup on my base radio and after a while i noticed the audio breaking up on quiet tracks. I brought it back to the installers and they wired up a standard denison ice pack, maybe something like this http://support.dension.com/dension/icelinkplus.php. I think they soldiered the wires to the aux input instead much like other guys here have done. Cost me a few quid but im very happy with the sound quality.
I would avoid those fm transmitter you see on ebay for a few quid as they are s**t.
 '05 Discovery TDV6 S+ Commercial, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Black Cloth.

"No matter where you go, there you are" 

Post #7995622nd Aug 2006 1:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >