Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The blanks you have shown are there to cover options available on the upgraded stereo head options and behind them are circuit boards etc and wouldn't advise you route anything behind them.
If you look at the tab directly behind the EPB switch you could mount it there.Its easily removed.To route your cable to there you have to remove the cigartette lighter console.Just remove the H trim( pull out and up at the lowest parts of the H) loosen the stereo headunit ( screws at the side) , loosen the cigarette holder ( again screws),remove screw under EPB tab, might be another to be removed on the opposite side ( I can't remember) and lift up the gear tunnel.

Someone might have more descriptive instructions but thats the general gist of it.The tab in question is only a few quid to buy again so don't worry about replacing it if you choose to use this location.

Post #45331213th Apr 2009 12:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob H

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Discowex for the useful info and help.

You say remove the cigarette lighter console. I have noticed a blank area on the extreme left side of this, indicated by the arrow in my photo. Would this be somewhere to locate the socket? Might be easy to fit a socket here (depends of course what is behind it) if I am removing the lighter console anyway. I am a bit reluctant to put the socket behind the EPB area, because the cable plugged into the socket and ipod might get in the way of gear changing, and terain response controls. I thought it best to keep the cabling forward of the cup holders, therefore out of the way but with a neater finish than I have now.

Sorry if I am being a bit slow, but where is the H trim? Do you mean pull out and up the lighter grey plastic, where it meets the darker coloured stuff just in front of the cup holders (where my cable is laying - see photo)?

Cheers, Rob
 2005 TDV6 base model 7-seater manual  
Post #45390714th Apr 2009 1:01 pm
Wex

Hi Rob ,

Yep where the light coloured meets the dark.Grab hold of the rearmost corners closest to the footwell and pull up.Dont be afraid you wont break it.
Where you have arrowed will work , you might have to drill a slightly larger hole in the plastic sub framing behind where you've shown to allow fitting of the socket but no big deal , theres plenty of space in behind there.

Go for it Thumbs Up

Post #45414114th Apr 2009 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob H

I will give it a go.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Rob

Very Happy
Post #45415414th Apr 2009 7:19 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

remember to take the torq srew out from under the EPB lever first. Wink
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #45440614th Apr 2009 11:31 pm
blackgsxr

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Nice one Andy! Sorted it this afternoon. Thumbs Up 8)
 If you can keep your head,  
Post #45616718th Apr 2009 4:35 pm
Disco Driver

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Andy (plus others),

Thanks for all the great tips in this thread.

I fitted the 3.5mm headphone plug this weekend!

I located the wiring loom connector plug on the left hand side of my D3 S (MY06).

I was unable to disconnect the two halves of the connector plug so I cut the wires & soldered 15cm of extra length to them all (red, black & blue).

I then stripped the two ends of a standard 3.5mm headphone plug/socket extension (that I found in my “spare cable bag”) by 5cm. I then twisted the 2 ground/screen cores from the red and black wires together to create a third wire.

I isolated the “third” wire with a piece of blue heat shrink tubing 3cm long, this left me with 1cm of bare wire to solder onto the extended wires.

Prior to soldering the wires from the 3.5mm extension to the extended auxiliary wires for the stereo I placed a piece of heat shrink tubing (of the corresponding colour) over each wire (red, black & blue), I also slid a larger white heat shrink tube over all three wires in order to cover them and give the appearance of a single wire.

Once I soldered all of the wires together I “fixed” the red, black & blue heat shrink tubing over the soldered area, followed by the white tubing.

Sound is good, however “voice” balance is slightly bias towards the right speakers (?)

I have placed some images in my gallery.

Cheers, Jus.

Post #45643819th Apr 2009 9:42 am
Rob H

Hi Discowex,

Thanks for all your help so far.

I removed the H trim ok (except one of the retaining metal clips pinged somewhere, so a trip to LR parts dept sometime).

I can see that a 3.5mm jack socket will fit just nicely on the extreme left of where the cigarette lighter, etc stuff is. I undid the 2 screws holding this panel in place, expecting the whole assembly to come away then, but it doesn't. To look further, I took out the 4 screws holding the air con controls panel in place – that panel came away easily. But I still cannot see how to remove the cigarette lighter panel. Maybe it just unclips somehow, but I don't want to force it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob
Post #45645019th Apr 2009 11:21 am
Wex

Hi Rob ,

As far as I can remember the gear tunnel trim is overlapped on the cigarette lighter panel.So you might have to remove that first.

Post #45660119th Apr 2009 8:34 pm
caverD3

You do.
Pull up gear lever (when in Park), remove screw under EPB switch, pull up at front of console.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #45671320th Apr 2009 1:17 am
Wex

Cheers Caver Thumbs Up .Rob seeing as your's is a manual it makes it easier if you pull the gaiter up from the gearstick , grab the rectangular gaiter frame at the bottom and pull it out.

Post #45675620th Apr 2009 9:36 am
Rob H

Thanks Discowex and caverD3 for the help - I will give it a go.

Cheers,

Rob
Post #45676720th Apr 2009 9:54 am
Rob H

Hi,

I pulled the gear gaiter up without problem. I see 2 hexagonal headed bolts - do I need to undo these?

Also, there is a screw right in front of the EPB switch - I guess this is the screw you are referring to and I have to undo this.

Anything else to unscrew anywhere - I can't see anymore? So is it a case then of just pulling the tunnel trim up (and backwards) to release the cigarette lighter panel?

Sorry to appear to be a bit thick about all this, I just don't want to break anything.

Thanks,

Rob
Post #45698020th Apr 2009 6:27 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The ciggy consul is a right pain ..here is a picture so you can see whats holding it in

there is also another big black clip at the bottom and they apear to be pointing in opposite ways ..just to make it a bit harder
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #45701320th Apr 2009 8:37 pm
caverD3

Rob H wrote:
Sorry to appear to be a bit thick about all this, I just don't want to break anything.

Thanks,

Rob

Scary when you first do it. Shocked
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #45711921st Apr 2009 2:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >