Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

rear camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Wiggs reminded me that technically, if the reverse camera feature works on a car that has no camera actually fitted, that when reverse is selected, it should still switch to the input and give either a black screen or snow without any composite video signal being present.

So i found a moment to enable the reverse cam on my D3 and tested it. All doors closed, engine running from all different screens and Nada Crying or Very sad
4X4 info was showing that the screen unit could see Reverse and in the video test screen i could see that the Reverse cam was showing as fitted but still nothing.
But then i am guessing that this would be where most everyone with an MSV-2 has got to.

Then the other day i was going through one of the other diag screens and came across this

Click image to enlarge

It seems that the Screen unit can detect a missing video input and the same happens when i enable the TV and the companion (Venture Cam), except the text shows the appropriate text for them.
Of course this gave me renewed hope, that the problem is indeed as we are all trying to prove that the function will only work when a Camera is actually connected.

So, having now got renewed interest, i managed to find a suitable camera and Jerry rigged it up with the appropriate connector, I plugged it in my bench test jig first and checked the signal was showing using the diag screen and indeed the fault i pictured above now disappeared. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

After work, i pulled the screen out of my D3 and plugged the camera in, checked the picture was there and that the fault was gone. Yep all good, so shut all the doors, start her up and select reverse.

And guess what guys,

Absolutely Sweet Feck all. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

We know the hardware is there and it works, by using the diag test, and we know the screen unit reads and uses the CCF setting because it comes up saying it is fitted.

So either we are still missing something or that the reverse camera functionality is missing or disabled in the software of these screen units.

I am going to look into the L322 wiring diagrams for the reverse cam to see if there is any clue in there, and then the only other thing i can think is to try different software versions.

Post #5970174th Feb 2010 7:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes indeed it does bring up the fault without the camara connected Evil or Very Mad

Just tested it .

Back to the drawing board .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5970804th Feb 2010 9:18 pm
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I got the camera this past week. It was a fairly easy install the hardest part was getting the wires through the rubber boot between the tailgate and body. I still need to tidy up some of the wires. I'll try and get some night shots tonight.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

heres a link to a video of it in action
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joenorth/4335144837/
 Sceen name use to be "wantsanlr3"

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-A frankenstein Mini '66 sportspack with a vauxhall lump
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #5984796th Feb 2010 11:32 pm
LR3GuyJoe

Heres a few night shots. The camera seems to be very good.

No extra lighting
Click image to enlarge

With backup lights on
Click image to enlarge

And heres a link to a video
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joenorth/4335880961/

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #5985577th Feb 2010 4:22 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Guys
I have drawn a blank here.

i checked the software, hoping that the FFRR which uses this has it has its own SW but i find it uses the very same SW as the D3

I have swapped in various version of HW along with their SW but nothing seems to work.

I checked the GTR for wiring or the FFRR but cant find anything beyond a reference to the composite Rev cam being connected

I am open to any ideas or suggestions

Post #5989427th Feb 2010 9:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Click image to enlarge

been watching this with interest, but after all you have done so far,and no one has mentioned it, what does the "video sync external" button do now that everything is enabled and with no video errors ???

Post #5991608th Feb 2010 4:03 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nothing really from what I can tell, screen just flickers briefly when you push the button
 The End  
Post #5992028th Feb 2010 9:26 am
LR3GuyJoe

Would anybody be interested in gvif boxes for about 220-230 quid? That would include shipping from the US to the UK.

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #60442516th Feb 2010 3:33 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Adrian/Colin, did you get anywhere with this?

I don't know if it helps, but my dealer's pleasant (not) IDS expert mentioned to me on Wednesday that "in order to get it working, you would have to change the entire software of the gearbox and NAV unit" and "with both the companion camera and reversing camera, even if the software is enabled the car will look for the hardware (companion dock or [whatever hardware the reversing camera is using on the RR I assume?]) hence it still wouldn't work without OEM hardware", or something along these lines...

Clearly, it's a case of "can't be done" or "it will cost £££££ to do", just thought the gearbox software mention might give you a clue? Question

Keep us posted if you get somewhere with it Thumbs Up

Post #62764426th Mar 2010 10:48 am
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Biz wrote:
Adrian/Colin, did you get anywhere with this?

I don't know if it helps, but my dealer's pleasant (not) IDS expert mentioned to me on Wednesday that "in order to get it working, you would have to change the entire software of the gearbox and NAV unit" and "with both the companion camera and reversing camera, even if the software is enabled the car will look for the hardware (companion dock or [whatever hardware the reversing camera is using on the RR I assume?]) hence it still wouldn't work without OEM hardware", or something along these lines...

Clearly, it's a case of "can't be done" or "it will cost £££££ to do", just thought the gearbox software mention might give you a clue? Question

Keep us posted if you get somewhere with it Thumbs Up

The IDS expert is completely incorrect!
It is 100% down to which firmware/software is running in the display and the features being enabled in the CCF.
Land Rover dealers are unable to do this as the feature(s) where never an option on the Disco3 - the IDS won't allow it.

Ian
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #62768226th Mar 2010 12:28 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Not surprised Ian, just relaying the conversation in case something he mentioned might help our own experts progress with this... Way beyond my current knowledge anyway Whistle

Post #62769626th Mar 2010 1:07 pm
mattdaniels

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi guys is there any update on this? It's something I would be very interested in.

Post #66462325th Jun 2010 7:00 am
IanNP

mattdaniels wrote:
Hi guys is there any update on this? It's something I would be very interested in.

Yes we can get the rear view camera input to work 100% on the disco3 display when putting the disco3 into reverse gear.
The input is NTSC (not PAL - it can't be switched as in the diag mode).
It is not a straight forward job, the software is not available in the standard disco3 display mode (enable rev camera etc) and as such it is still a 'work in progress'.

Ian
Post #66542327th Jun 2010 9:41 pm
IanNP

This thread is more up-to-date on the rear/reverse camera..

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic48887-4...d175fa2762

Ian
Post #66542527th Jun 2010 9:51 pm
sdxn1

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have just installed a tailgate camera and a GVIF unit - both supplied by HIDS4U (a site sponsor) - and am very pleased with the results. I confess to having had help running the wires from the tailgate camera through to the GVIF unit (which sits just next to the satnav unit under the passenger seat) - as other posts observe, the trickiest bit is feeding the wires through the rubber conduit between tailgate and main roof. However, no rocket science involved - simply gentle removal of trim... I have also added a digital wireless camera to the system - again, works very well through the satnav screen, and greatly aids rear visibility when towing the horse trailer.

Post #6676382nd Jul 2010 10:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >