Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

leaking fuel tank on TDV6 DISCO 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Grinning Bull

United Kingdom 

This is wrong, and I'm probably not supposed to call our great manufacturer a bunch of chiselling Censored but its how I feel, bye.

Post #90076523rd Feb 2012 7:22 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I just got my Petrol back from the dealer. A slight odor no visible leak at fill ups over the last month or so. Brought it in, $400.00 later. It was fitted with an "upgraded" top fuel ring seal. Stopped on the way home, and filled up. Pulled into the garage and fuel was pouring out. Called a for a tow, $110.00, back to the dealer. They said the new metal seal was slightly warped.

The original seal, was a rubber ring & plastic, the rubber was cracked they say. In any event, now all fitted, and no leaks. The replacement according to the dealer is metal with an upgraded gasket.

New Part number #LR006778

Post #90136725th Feb 2012 1:41 am
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you want to add another rodent eaten fuel tank to the long list then mine was nibbled in the first year of ownership. Paid for by the insurance but still an unacceptable situation. Why and earth wasn't this thought about by the engineers concerned. It doesn't have to be a farm vehicle, mice are everywhere and will look for nooks and crannies to hide away and breed.
I presume that it's the supply pipe, mine pumped fuel over the floor on start up.
What about filling the area with expanding foam and make the little beggers chew through some inches of foam.
Anyone know what the situation is regarding replacement tanks?

Post #90156225th Feb 2012 6:56 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Don't think you will find a D3 tank anywhere. Crying or Very sad

I think you will have to get a D4 tank with the adapters.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #90157325th Feb 2012 7:38 pm
Yogey

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

My wife has just had a similar situation with her D3.
She noticed diesel on floor while filling up.Car taken to dealer where rodent damage was diagnosed.£800 quoted for replacement tank.
We toyed with the idea of taking it to a local independent for an opinion but she was told it was dangerous to drive and naturally enough we caved in and paid for the repair.It was that or a trailering to the independent.

I spoke to main Land Rover Office and was told this must be a one off.The guy I spoke said he thought he'd heard of a RRS with a similar problem but that was it.He even went off to check with others.He was pretty rude and bluntly told me there would be no assistance with the cost given that this was a one off.My experience echoes the previous John Fair post.

Checked insurance and by the time the excess and guesstimated (by our broker) extra premium (never made any claims before) , a claim was not worth the bother.

Asked for the tank back and damage exactly as photo'd by others here.

Asked the dealer for even a contribution to costs but total refusal.

Interestingly when initially discussing with the dealer service department we were told that the new replacement tank was identical to the old chewed one.However after I asked for the old tank back (it is massive) that story changed and apparently there are changes to the D3 replacement tank, seemingly in this specific area.I do not have that in writing but was told this and have directly asked the dealer to confirm.
This change was put forward as due to a change of tank supplier but I pointed out that it seems like a design change (as distinct from getting another supplier to make the same thing).
If the original tank was OK , why spend on a design change? Just get a new supplier for the same tank???
I must emphasize that this was all verbal with their service department but I await hearing from the dealer on this point.

I agree with Darren E on the 'fit for purpose' thing.When I raised this with Dealer / LR the reply was fudged.When I mentioned the point above the reply got even fudgier.
I too had a D3 some years ago (never had any problems with it) but it was sold to me (and I quote from the LR site at the time) as a family car that is as tough as nails .Hardly when it's taken out by a mouse.
This is sold as an rough tough all terrain vehicle that can go places other cars don't.In context I cannot see how that kind of vehicle can be attacked so easily at such cost of repair.It does look like a very basic metal collar would stop this but I guess fitting that might acknowledge a problem
I feel a lot hinges on the paragraph above.If it is fit for purpose why change it? (assuming it was changed)

Anyway we await a reply.If it is not positive then I 'll be telling my wife to consider a county court action although she hates anything adversial.

I will advise outcome but it might take a while.

All the best to all in Land Rover land.

Post #9063967th Mar 2012 6:10 pm
Fossewayer

I have had the exact same experience (in January 2012)and reaction as you . I have entered into lengthy correspondence with Land Rover UK including its Managing Director and am being stonewalled with the response that the tank's design is fit for purpose. I have taken legal advice and it was not particularly encouraging.However I think this situation is simply wrong and share your reasoning that the vehicle design is faulty as evidenced by the tank's redesign! Are you still thinking of taking this further as I too remain unhappy with Land Rover's stance on this and am pondering what to do next.

Post #90751510th Mar 2012 9:55 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Guys I think a reality grip is required ...all vehicle marques suffer with the potential for rodent damage to either the fuel tank or pipework around the engine. Just take a look at this search

LR are not going to be responsible for nor change component design on the back of the potential for rodent damage any more than they would make additional measures to protect your vehicle from hitting a fox, bird, cow , ox. It's a risk we all face ...and the battle is with your insurer and no one else Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #90752810th Mar 2012 10:37 am
Robbie

Whilst I tend to agree with DG I do think LR take the mickie with the price of the fix.

Rodents nibbling at components is not new yet LR charge for an entire tank when only a small component is damaged. This has happened frequently enough for LR to provide a fix that does not require replacement of the whole assembly. Their frequent denials of 'this has never happened before' does not garner trust in the marque either.

Diagnostics for:

Post #90754310th Mar 2012 10:53 am
DrLex

Iceland 

I agree with Robbie in that it's disappointing that the incidents of rodent damage to this particular component is not collated by LR or at least admitted to on direct inquiry- perhaps we have the increasingly litigious nature of society to thank - witness the comment about the dealership not wanting the car to leave their premises. This might also in part explain why a replacement rather than repair is the approved solution. IIRC, the original supplier went out of business, so I'd be more tempted to blame LR cost-cutting over supplier relations support or lackadaisical testing.
£50 excess on my insurance and tank replaced with noxious paste on elbow - problem solved. Others here have patched and not reported subsequent issues.

FWIW, My 45 y.o. Aston had a moused fuel line, so it's neither a recent, nor a LR only issue (as DG points out). Didn't result in me replacing all pipes with metal-clad ones, nor did it cause me to think of a crusade against Newport Pagnell.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #90755810th Mar 2012 12:04 pm
Robbie

Probably worth mentioning that a rodent had its way with a fuel line on my (god this both dates and shames me) Cavalier SRi130. Had to replace the entire line so it cost nearly £6 to fix.

Last year a mouse nibbled through the fuel line on my Mum's Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine. As I treated her to a new fuel tap to go with the new line that cost best part of £10 to fix.

It's not hard to design components that can be repaired with new lines rather than new tanks, senders, harnesses etc. The mouse is not a recent invention either.

Diagnostics for:

Post #90755910th Mar 2012 12:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Car companies (not just LR) are not interested in supplying small parts, they'd much rather supply large assemblies at suitably large prices. They'd say to you it's not economical to split things down but they are really saying it's nowhere near as profitable. Afterall they are a buisiness, not a charity. You bought the marque (again, not just LR) so you are a nice captive market. You have money, they want to part you from it. They are not going to change things coz a few mices nibbled a few fuel tank elbows. "Fair?" I hear peeps ask, since when has that got anything to do with it? It's your choice to put up with it or go elsewhere. Whistle

Ducking for cover. 8)

Post #90756610th Mar 2012 12:47 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Yogey wrote:
[...]
Asked the dealer for even a contribution to costs but total refusal.
[..]

I struggle to see how this could possibly be down to the dealer, unless you think it the rodent hitched a ride when the vehicle went in for a service? Let us know if you get anywhere with LRCS or through the Courts - love to see the statement of claim for the latter.

To anyone else arriving here from a google search on "Discovery+3+rodent+fuel+leak" or similar, either drop the tank and patch it (tiger seal, perhaps) or prepare for a four-figure insurance claim, and get the elbow covered. Note that work on the tank may result in dislodged fuel level senders or low pressure pump, so watch the gauge and engine running after the job is done.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #90757410th Mar 2012 1:19 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

perhaps a bit of sideways presuure would'nt go a miss

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin.../DG_185181

Thumbs Up Whistle

Post #90766210th Mar 2012 7:28 pm
Yogey

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Following my earlier post I had e mailed the dealer (specifically on whether design changes had been carried out on the replacement tank) but I have not heard back yet-I will update if/when I do.

I have no wish to involve the dealer but it LR itself (HQ) who told me that all correspondence must go through the Dealer and the Dealer is OK with that.It's all been very civil.

I have the tank now and the offending hole is about the size of a small finger nail - it does seem a shame to have to change all that gear and massive tank for such a small hole.

As regards an attempt at legal action I would only contemplate that as a last resort.I am not litigious - in fact I have never claimed for anything anywhere,in my life. I have some limited experience of the system at work where we have used it for recovery on unpaid bills.The system is user friendly and (as best I have experienced) will 'weed out' any time wasting try on cases.If I do have to resort to that action I will of course do my best to ensure that the Court at least feels it's time will not be wasted in considering the case.Ultimately (if it goes that way) it'll be down to one person - the Judge.

I guess I am most annoyed at the approach/attitude I have experiemced from LR so far.If you feel the component is fit for purpose fine-but I only discover the apparent change in design after I asked for the old tank back.I think the question I have asked is fair and deserves the respect of an answer.

I am a fervent supporter of Land Rover-I am directly responsible for the sale of a RRS and 2x Disco 4 (to others by way of a drive inmy Disco) and of course (althoughI no longer have a D3 ) my wife bought hers because she liked the car so much.I'm not on a crusade to give them grief but to us that's a lot of money.
Although this is probably academic to the point at hand I would have expected a bit better treatment(particularly from LR HQ).I know it's a subjective point but still........

All the best to everyone

Post #90894313th Mar 2012 4:01 pm
Dunkinder

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I replaced mine and fitted a 22mm copper elbow over the top of the bend, you have to cut a slot out of it on the small bend side, so that it fits over the pipe.

I then used grip fill to stick it onto the bend

Post #90966914th Mar 2012 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >