Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Petrol in diesel D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DrLex

Iceland 

If that had been my car, it would be "bear" minimum and into the Auction/Trade.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #84784015th Oct 2011 10:05 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Must remember to never buy a used car from you Laughing

Post #84785415th Oct 2011 11:30 pm
Ian G

Jim1000 wrote:

He claimed it wouldn't have done too much if I'd driven off and told me about lots of people who had and not done too much, he even said a bit of P in the D engine cleaned it to some extent.

A friend of mine did it and the car ran better afterwards, just drained and cleaned out, new filters, no problem.

There was also a similar debate on TruckNet about the same and the general consensus between the older drivers was that a bit of petrol in the tank would be done as a matter of course during cold spells to raise the freezing point of the fuel carried.

Admittedly both these examples relate to older engines.

Post #84785815th Oct 2011 11:38 pm
packingstrips

A bit of P in the D engine 30 years ago was considered ok but in these highly strung tight tolerance diesel engines it strips the lubricant in seconds

Thats something people need to bear in mind......DrLex, seeing as you seem to be grammatically bent, is this correct?

Post #84786015th Oct 2011 11:41 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've been privy to a couple of gallons of OMD80 going into the bowels of several vehicles after a misfuel,
It has the effect of turning the contents into 2 stroke ?
Some of the vehicles have gone on to cover thousands of miles after and none of the ones I have been witness to have ever packed up,
I suppose this method negates the need for environmental waste after the clean up.

I've told several people about this and none of them believe it's possible ! funny really
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #84786215th Oct 2011 11:50 pm
packingstrips

Everyone i have seen that has stopped running after misfueling has totally wrecked the hp fuel pumps. The swarf from this fills the injector rails,pipes and injectors which is the main reason they cant just be chucked back together. If you fit a new hp pump without replacing the fuel lines the whole problems starts again.

As stated in previous posts this could be one reason why we are seeing a few engine failures now,especially bigends!!

Post #84786516th Oct 2011 12:00 am
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Big Cry Big Cry for you mate!
I guess you are currently living up to your forum name...........
My wife did it 12 months ago in her Astra - fortunately she didn't even put the key in the ignition before she realised, I managed to tow it home and drain the petrol out of the tank myself and all was well, the petrol is still in a can and happily running my lawn mower. She couldn't understand why I wasn't cross.......... easy mistake to make IMHO. So unlucky that your wife didn't notice..... Big Cry

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #84786616th Oct 2011 12:09 am
dadof7kids

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

bit too late but this was a good read for when it happens..
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic70004.h...+%2Bdiesel
 java Black D3 gone : (
Club Lux : ) GONE : ( 

Post #84786716th Oct 2011 12:34 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Friend did it in a brand new Audi A4 coiple of weeks ago and also drove the car to a grinding stop. He rang Audi assistance and they sent the AA out to drai the fuel and bleed the fuel line through, a bit like the post above. Refilled with tank of diesel and told to drive 200 miles then refill again. He did all of this and has had no issues, Audi have even told him his warranty is not at risk and if there is engine issues later it wil still be covered Exclamation Exclamation
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #84787416th Oct 2011 7:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

Very different with LR im affraid. Depending on what youve done depends on the level of repair required. If its at a LR garage and you dont do what is needed then warranty restrictions will be placed on a future engine warranty request.

Post #84787816th Oct 2011 8:09 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Guy at work did it last year, engine stopped. Towed to garage, drained fuel, fuel & engine oil change and 25k miles later still no issues.

I personally think if the car stops as a result of meat petrol then it will do less damage than if it keeps going on a heavily contaminated mix. With pure petrol the fuel will be through the pipes/pump and the engine will stop before it has the chance to run too long and suffer lubrication problems.

But that's just a opinion.

Post #84788116th Oct 2011 8:43 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

It happened in my wife's car last week (Mazda 3 Sport) with 2.0 l engine. This has the modern common rail injection system and it was driven for a few miles home and was spluttering a bit by the time she got here. It was recovered to the dealer's. They drained the tank, flushed the injection system fitted new filter (all for £120). We've just given it a sound thrashing for 700 miles to Grimsby and back with motorway all the way so at maximum speed. The engine's running as sweet as a nut - it's used no oil and there are no funny noises from under the bonnet..

If a new engine is to be at your expense, I'd follow some of the advice above about the injection system and give it a go with you existing engine.

Bill Wright Thumbs Up

PS I'll get me coat! Very Happy
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #84790116th Oct 2011 10:31 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I don't think anyone on here doubts that 'doing the minimum' in this situation will get you a car that will happily run for at least a year and probably more.

I think from the number and nature of 'unexplained' engine failures for 2nd or 3rd hand cars at relatively low milage hints that LR know what they are doing when they recommend such drastic repairs post a mis-fuel and that not all owners carry this out before moving the car on.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #84791116th Oct 2011 11:27 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

packingstrips wrote:
Very different with LR im affraid. Depending on what youve done depends on the level of repair required. If its at a LR garage and you dont do what is needed then warranty restrictions will be placed on a future engine warranty request.

I totally agree that it is a diffrent beast all together and do not doubt that it is the correct way to go. But if the car is out of warranty and said person does not have funds for all that work perhaps there is a diffrent way to proceed.
However a couple of things to think about first, who makes the injector system in the LR? Is it the same people as in other cars ie Bosch etc. If so then surley all modern cars/makes with the same diesel injector manufacturer should suffer the same issues, but they do not, why?
If it is as said, petrol damages seals etc which causes wear and metal swarf to go forward to injectors, then surley replacing HP fuel system and injectors, replacing fuel and filter and an engine oil change, this should prevent further damage. If metal particles are small enough to get through the new injector then they are that small as to not do any serious damage and should be picked up within the oil filter. To be extra sure regular oil filter and oil change over the next 5000 miles should also help to prevent damage to major engine components.
Time to duck for cover and get my coat me thinks. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #84791916th Oct 2011 11:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

No need to duck Russell.

I have lost count of the misfuels i have seen, it is a very common occurence. If the engine has been ran until it stops then damage will have been done, the petrol removes all lubrication properties within the hp fuel pump and damage can occur in minutes. Ive seen many a car where the vehicle has been recovered to another garage they have done a hp pump and a few injectors but have neglected to do the injection pipes.......fine particles still in there...goodbye new injectors. It greatly depends on what youve actually done to whether you can potentially get away with it.

If it were my car and yes if i wasnt in the know i probably would be inclined to do as little as i could get away with but like i said it will either bite you on the Censored or you will be passing on alot of heartache to the next owner.

TLO seems to be advising similar ,would like to hear his take on this.

Post #84797716th Oct 2011 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >