Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 1, Ambulance 0
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
dreynolds10

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nasher, you are a very honourable man for looking on the bright side of life (to quote Eric Idle). Many of us would find it repugnant to be intimidated and made to feel at fault in such a situation.

The fact that you have not lost sight of the reason why the ambulance may have been taking risks and therefore why it ran into the back of you is to be commended.

Many of us, myself included, would have focused on "why are you breathalysing me".

Respect Bow down
 Disco3 project  
Post #159421316th Jan 2016 7:39 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

The Blond police woman did have a nice smile and a very shiny pair of handcuffs. Mr. Green

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #159421916th Jan 2016 7:47 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As i'm sure people reading this will know as i alluded to it on a previous post. They breathalysed Nasher as they are required to do in the event of a RTA, but also in the hope he was over as it would have taken the heat of their colleague. It would be interesting to know for sure if he was breath tested at the scene.

Post #159422016th Jan 2016 7:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dreynolds10

Are you sure He was a She Laughing
 Disco3 project  
Post #159422316th Jan 2016 7:51 pm
Nasher

To be fair to the 'nice' blond policewoman she did explain that it was a requirement after an accident.

I didn't see the Ambulance driver get breathalysed, but that's not to say it didn't happen.
If there is any grief starts to kick off and he denies responsibility I can ask if he was.

All the police at the scene were wearing body camera's, so should be able to prove it one way or the other.

My main concern now is my many years of NCB should any liability be thrown my way.

That and the nagging feeling that at 175K miles my 55 plate D3 isn't worth much and could get written off just after I've spent £1400 on having a TC fitted, which I wouldn't get back in the value of the car.

I've never been through the process of claiming on insurance before, so am a little worried.

Nasher.
Post #159426416th Jan 2016 9:11 pm
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

If it is written off but you do want to keep it, just buy it back and repair yourself. Obviously you can make that call once you better understand what the damage actually is.

Glad it's just a minor bump (for you)
 Disco gone Sad  
Post #159426616th Jan 2016 9:18 pm
Redgull

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

just been all fhrough this,first it was not your fault!dont forget that, he hit your rear which is good for you,also remember when your car is estimated the hire car will be in that price!!my hire car was £1,500 for 2 wks, that price took me over the limit, so they wanted to write off my car!!i said no i will have a small car instead of a 4x4 , which meant they would now fix the car,stand by your guns and fight for it if you want to keep it,another reason they wanted towrite off my car was because of the high breaker value these car have,when i found this out i put some Censored Censored s into a few people Twisted Evil claim through their insurance not yours,if you need to know anymor about this PM Thumbs Up me

Post #159428116th Jan 2016 9:31 pm
dreynolds10

As RC says, if it gets written off then just take the cash and buy it back (at the insurance scrap value) then get it repaired.

If you can fix an old boat you can certainly fix an old D3 Razz

Good luck!
 Disco3 project  
Post #159428416th Jan 2016 9:35 pm
Redgull

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

sorry guys, spoke about this to my insurance co, some including mine do not let you buy back,!! some companys are like for like which means you can insist they find a car the same as yous or you find the same,this will be the policy i will go for next time Thumbs Up

Post #159429016th Jan 2016 9:42 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

A bit of reassurance of sorts, I worked in ambulance on the management side of things for a few months on secondment and the processes and technology in place nowadays largely prevent collusion and cover-ups, so I would be fairly confident in the right outcome, which from what you said will be in your favour.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #159430316th Jan 2016 9:55 pm
Ev2uk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Small world.

We live in Southampton and came upto Portsmouth today.... E saw this Ambulance on the back of the Recovery truck going West bound on the M27.

Sorry about your car though.
 New D3 Owner.. every day it starts is a bonus but any bongs or beeps are heart-stopping.  
Post #159433816th Jan 2016 10:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Nasher wrote:
To be fair to the 'nice' blond policewoman she did explain that it was a requirement after an accident.

I didn't see the Ambulance driver get breathalysed, but that's not to say it didn't happen.
If there is any grief starts to kick off and he denies responsibility I can ask if he was.

All the police at the scene were wearing body camera's, so should be able to prove it one way or the other.

My main concern now is my many years of NCB should any liability be thrown my way.

That and the nagging feeling that at 175K miles my 55 plate D3 isn't worth much and could get written off just after I've spent £1400 on having a TC fitted, which I wouldn't get back in the value of the car.

I've never been through the process of claiming on insurance before, so am a little worried.

Nasher.

Insurance companys like to have their cake and eat it, come renewal time they will probably still increase your premium as you've been involved in an 'Incident' They won't let the fact you were stationary and not to blame stop them from trying to recover a few shillings.

Had a friend hit whilst stationary. He had protected no claims on his policy (something I've never bothered with) but they still hiked his premium. When he stated he had PNC, they told him he had been involved in an accident (which you have to state even if you move insurance companys) and therefore he was now more of a risk, stationary or not!!!

Don't you just love insurance companys Twisted Evil
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #159445217th Jan 2016 11:03 am
D16PJM

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

my wifes car was hit while parked, the 3rd party stopped, there insurance paid and my wifes insurance went up for the next five years by about £60 per year, I know its not a lot but they get there money back

Post #159463017th Jan 2016 5:00 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The point is that if the other party's insurance pays out, yours doesn't. A no-fault claim should have no impact on your future premiums because it's cost your insurer nothing.

In my experience, including hitting wildlife, no-fault claims made no difference to the following premiums. When I was rear ended, the insurer was going to put up the following premium because the other party was slow to do their paperwork and the shunt was near to my renewal date. Once the paperwork was done and my insurer got their money back from the other insurer, the premium renewal went back to what it was before the accident.

When I rear ended someone in my early driving years the premiums went skywards. Other than that, no rises following no-fault claims.

I think a lot will depend on whether a "cheap" insurer is being used, however. The argument about risk is rubbish if one was not at fault in the first place. Vote with your feet.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #159467817th Jan 2016 6:13 pm
Nasher

I expect I'll find out how good Privilege insurance are over the coming days/weeks.

The person who took down all the initial details did assure me that it won't effect my premium at all if the Paramedic takes the blame.

It's going to the body shop tomorrow, and I should get a hire car as well.
I've completely gutted it today, all my personal belongings, plus the LR rubber mats and load space cover. I did think about taking the 'fixed' towbar off, but when I started I found I had the usual issue of the sleeves inside the chassis rails spinning, so I gave up.

I have a list of questions to ask Privilege first think tomorrow:

If it's deemed uneconomic to repair do they offer the chance to buy back the vehicle?

If it's deemed uneconomic to repair and the hire car charge is significant, could I take a lower value hire car, or none at all, to reduce the cost below the cut off point?

When will they be able to tell me if the Ambulance driver has admitted responsibility?
This may effect how I continue with the claim.

How will they treat my renewal premium, which is due in two weeks, if no final conclusion has been reached over blame?

How do I ensure the £1400 I spent less than two weeks ago replacing the TC is at least partly considered in the value of the car? ( I know this is a long shot)

Nasher
Post #159469517th Jan 2016 6:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >