Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 1, Ambulance 0
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
D16PJM

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The point is that if the other party's insurance pays out, yours doesn't. A no-fault claim should have no impact on your future premiums because it's cost your insurer nothing.

In my experience, including hitting wildlife, no-fault claims made no difference to the following premiums. When I was rear ended, the insurer was going to put up the following premium because the other party was slow to do their paperwork and the shunt was near to my renewal date. Once the paperwork was done and my insurer got their money back from the other insurer, the premium renewal went back to what it was before the accident.

When I rear ended someone in my early driving years the premiums went skywards. Other than that, no rises following no-fault claims.

I think a lot will depend on whether a "cheap" insurer is being used, however. The argument about risk is rubbish if one was not at fault in the first place. Vote with your feet.

I spoke to my wifes insurance regarding the rise and was told that statistically if you have a non fault claim your are more likely to have a fault claim, that was |Admiral, as said previous they are the main winners, lets hope Nasher gets it all sorted

Post #159474817th Jan 2016 8:01 pm
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nasher wrote:
How will they treat my renewal premium, which is due in two weeks, if no final conclusion has been reached over blame?

It's all about the insurance state when the accident occurred. I had a car written off (hit by uninsured driver) and I didn't have to renew insurance whilst it was all sorted out.

Nasher wrote:
How do I ensure the £1400 I spent less than two weeks ago replacing the TC is at least partly considered in the value of the car? ( I know this is a long shot)

You don't. That's a running repair cost.

Post #159477117th Jan 2016 8:53 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

"I spoke to my wifes insurance regarding the rise and was told that statistically if you have a non fault claim your are more likely to have a fault claim, that was |Admiral, as said previous they are the main winners, lets hope Nasher gets it all sorted"

They said exactly the same to me so after a lot of discussion, that included them suggesting they cancel my insurance and waive the cancellation fee - which would of course mean next time I apply for a policy I have to answer yes to the question about whether I have ever had insurance declined or cancelled, I let the policy run & went elsewhere at renewal. Never again!

On the plus side, they did agree a decent settlement figure (it was a Td4 F1 with 192,000 miles but full service history which swung it) for the car which was written off & allowed me to buy it back for the scrap value (weighed in value) which meant I was able to strip various things off it & sell them before finally selling the carcass to the scrap dealer (Silverlake in Botley) for more than I paid for the whole car from the insurers Very Happy

Hope Nasher gets it all sorted but it's the potential for a rear end shunt like this that is the reason my soon to arrive D4 will be getting dash cams front & rear!
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #159482417th Jan 2016 9:54 pm
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The issue with paying to protect your NCD is that you are not protecting your Premiums.......

A policy premium costing £750 with NCD of 75% is always more than a policy Premium of £500 with NCD of 75% if they hike your basic premium.

Now if they offered a Premium Protection Policy it would be worth considering, but that's not gonna happen Crying or Very sad

A learner driver drove into my wife's car recently and although not in anyway the wife's fault, she will be hit with a premium increase and so will I as she is a named driver on my policy. And we didn't make a claim as it was minor damage. Sad
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #159483317th Jan 2016 10:02 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Oddly my last claim (I didn't actually claim) three years ago was adjudged to be 50:50, but no increase in premium!
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #159485317th Jan 2016 10:20 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

D16PJM wrote:

I spoke to my wifes insurance regarding the rise and was told that statistically if you have a non fault claim your are more likely to have a fault claim, that was |Admiral, as said previous they are the main winners, lets hope Nasher gets it all sorted

LV here. They were excellent each time they were called. Never put up the premium when wild life did damage.

As for the argument that no-fault makes you more likely to be at fault; that's just laughable. Being hit whilst parked does not make one more likely to run over a bus queue.

I tried to get a quote from Admiral. Tried their multi-car offer as it would supposedly be cheaper. Would have cost more than insuring each car separately. Based on this and stories of bad service when called upon, I stayed away from them. Just as well it seems.

Looks like all insurance companies are not the same after all...
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #159491417th Jan 2016 11:35 pm
Biker Pete

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Go and buy a copy of Land Rover magazine, the one with the free poster this month as there is an article about this.

You are the agrieved party and you are claiming from his insurance, they may try and write it off but you apparantly can insist they make it good to the standard it was before you were hit. They will try an bully you apparantly but it is your right to have your vehicle fixed.

No need to accept a write off and a buy back, just yours sorted it seems.

The article is near the front, in one of the regular columns, the one where the chap owns his garage and writes about his month I think.

Happy to scan it for you but it will be tomorrow morning before I can.

Best of luck Thumbs Up

Post #159499718th Jan 2016 9:38 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks Pete, I have a subscription to the magazine but haven't opened it yet.

Will look later.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #159509118th Jan 2016 12:22 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Update as of this morning.

The body shop can’t see it until tomorrow morning. Big Cry

Bearing in mind what Biker Pete has suggested above and that I’ve not investigated it yet, Privilege Have confirmed that:

If the car is written off as a Cat C or D, I will get the opportunity to purchase it back.

The claim is already in the hands of their recovery team as it looks like the complete cost will be recovered from the other insurers.
This may take a couple of weeks to confirm though.

My renewal premium will not be effected at all if it is agreed that it was not my fault.

The cost of a hire car will not be considered as part of the repair cost when considering if the car is economical to repair.

As I have the receipt for the Torque Converter being fitted so recently I can submit it as evidence if I want to dispute the value of the car.

So, wait and see really.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #159510818th Jan 2016 1:04 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I had a crash a few years ago when insured (as now) with Privilige for the Jazzez. Dozy moo pulled out in front of me after looking but not seeing, so a fully recovered no fault claim on my part. Their loss adjuster was a waste of oxygen but Priv were great and my premiums never rose, we after the annual dance of compare the renewal price with the Internet price. Been with them for several years now. Thumbs Up

Post #159511818th Jan 2016 1:13 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Many year ago I had a car catch fire, I had just put injectors, 4 new tyres and a complete exhaust on it the day before. I had a receipt for all the work and got the value of the car back plus the cost of the repairs, at the time the insurance company did not even haggle.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #159512018th Jan 2016 1:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Remind me not to let you fit injectors to my car!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Whistle

Post #159512318th Jan 2016 1:18 pm
blowpipe

England 

On the topic of a hire car, we had a company of sharks get in touch within hours of an accident a few years back. They also offered a 'like for like' car with no strings attached given we were also not at fault. The next day a tired VW Tourag was delivered, and the daily rate was absolutely ridiculous. Seriously stupid, around £350 a day.

Within a few days I'd worked out that I could get by with the existing domestic fleet having realised that my insurers (and as a consequence every insured driver) were being ripped off, so I told them to take it away on a point of principal.

Post #159552118th Jan 2016 10:19 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had a similar experience some years back, hit by another driver who contacted their insurers who in turn contacted me & arranged to collect my car & said their hire car people would be in touch. Was called and eventually got a Volvo XC90 'dry dropped' on Xmas Eve. When I got home and checked the car over it was dirty, had dents & scratches on it that weren't on the handover sheet & worst of all despite the check sheet saying it had a full tank of fuel it was reading empty and had a trip computer telling me it had 15 miles range left in fuel - I was travelling 200 miles first thing Boxing Day morning!!!

I took photos of the damage and range reading & sent the hire company an e-mail letting them know the damage on the car etc & saying they could pick it up on the first working day after Boxing Day and not to bother bringing a replacement.

Managed to creep along to a garage Boxing Day morning & put what I thought would be a reasonable amount of fuel in the car to get us there and part way back then hopped between filling stations coming home leaving the car reading 15 miles to empty.

When the monkeys came to collect it they said I'd be charged for a tank of fuel as it was full when I got it - I said no way & asked if I'd also be charged for a new tyre as it must have had tread on when they left it Rolling with laughter

Oh, and as well as being dirty inside and out the inside stank of it being driven long term by a smoker despite the sticker on the dash saying no smoking!

Total rip off merchants who feed on the unwary & make everyone's premiums go up.

What these clowns also don't like telling you is that if they get a sniff that the claim won't be settled by the other insurer they come to you for the hire fee!
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #159559619th Jan 2016 12:13 am
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

For balance - SWMBO got hit while parked. She limped to Lookers Park Royal who recommended Accident Xchange to her. They delivered her a brand new Merc that evening. The customer service was flawless, even when she called them to ask for another because she'd written the first Merc off in an "at fault" accident.

The original "at fault" driver's insurers disputed the cost of the hire car (particularly as it included a £1300 excess - which got used up by the second crash). All the while the total bill was disputed, my insurer's treated the first claim as 50/50 and withheld my NCD. Once it was settled they treated it as no-fault and reinstated my NCD
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #159564819th Jan 2016 8:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >