Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 1, Ambulance 0
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

I've also used Accident Exchange in the past for a non-fault claim. Found them easy to deal with. They delivered a 1 Series at the start and took it away when it was all finished with.

Other party made no dispute and he admitted at the road side he was at fault.

With write off categories, if it is C or D, as said, insist, as is your right, the other parties insurance company repair your vehicle to the condition it was pre-incident.

Also, although your insurance co have said your premium won't increase due to a non-fault accident doesn't mean others will have the same policy
 Disco gone Sad  
Post #159569819th Jan 2016 10:46 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

So the D3 is currently with the repair centre and I’m waiting on the decision.

Usefully it’s @200 yards from where I work, so I don’t need the hire car until later and have arranged for it to be delivered to work this afternoon.

I did get a phone call from the hire company this morning.
Apparently as the replacement vehicle is classed as a top end vehicle, and as my D3 is 10yrs old, the other party insurers will query the cost and ask my insurers to justify my requirement for a large new 4x4. They were happy to argue the case for me, just had to be able to show they had asked.

The reality is that because it’s not the summer when I’m towing my boat around I do not really need something as big as the D3, so I said I’d be happy with a smaller 4x4, but it has to be 4x4 because one of my requirements is to be able to get up my steep drive and road in the snow.

The guy on the phone thanked me for being honest, and went off to check if he could get me a Freelander.
He came back to say that they don’t have any smaller 4x4s available, or D4s, but are able to let me have a brand new Shogun they’ve just had delivered at the cost of a Freelander. Banging Head

It doesn’t make any difference to me really, especially as I should only have it for a few days one way or the other.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #159583519th Jan 2016 2:19 pm
Nasher

So, brand new LWB diesel Shogun just turned up, I believe they are still a 3.2.

Lovely deep red colour, but very plasticy inside.

Took it up the road and it drives exactly the same as my last Shogun, which was a 52plate 3.2 with 180K miles on it.

I can honestly say that my 10yr old D3 with 175K miles on it is a nicer drive.
Very vague steering that requires a lot of input accompanied by lots of engine noise, squeaks etc.
The suspension also feels harsh having been spoilt by the D3s air springs.

I’m glad in a way, as I won’t mind giving it back.

Nasher.
Post #159586719th Jan 2016 4:02 pm
Nasher

It lives!!

It appears that there is no serious damage to the D3, it’s limited to what can be seen in the image, which is remarkable really.

So Privilege have approved it being fixed and I should have it back before the end of next week.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned that one of the things I was on my way to get on Saturday was a new battery for it as it’s been slow to start on the cold mornings recently.

Lo and behold with the garage starting and stopping it over the last few days it apparently needed a jump start this morning.

I don’t want them putting a barely adequate one in it so have said I’ll get one and drop it round to them.

I’ve decided there are two things I do like about the Shogun.
Firstly the huge sunroof, which lets a lot of light in above the driver compared to the D3, and is the only thing I missed when I changed my Shogun for the D3.
Secondly the rear view camera, which is more useful when reversing than I ever imagined it would be. Must make sure my D4 when I eventually get around to it has one.

Something else I don’t like about it, is that so far I’ve managed 16.7MPG out of it on the same sort of journeys I’d get 22MPG out of the D3

Nasher.
Post #159635520th Jan 2016 1:27 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Did you say battery? Tanya (well that's how I remember the co Whistle ) had mine to me next day, less than 24hrs from ordering. Use D2BOYS code for a few quid off. Thumbs Up

https://www.tayna.co.uk/EA1000-Exide-Premi...P7488.html

Post #159636120th Jan 2016 1:31 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good result Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #159636620th Jan 2016 1:39 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with DSL, I have bought a number of batteries from Tayna, the prices are very good and they deliver next day.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #159636720th Jan 2016 1:43 pm
Nasher

Thanks guys.

I already had a Bosch EA1000 from Tanya as a saved page in internet explorer so have done the deed.

Nasher.
Post #159637420th Jan 2016 2:01 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

if you hit from behind how is it your fault?

disco always wins Whistle

Post #159639220th Jan 2016 2:45 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Goodnews that it's repairable Thumbs Up

Echo some earlier comments about hire cars being offered when you're not at fault, it seems like an appaling 'profiteering racket' to me that these accident management companies hire out nice big cars at astronomical rates and your own insurer doesn't care as liability is with the 3rd party. It's all adding to the cost of incidents though and ultimately affecting premiums Evil or Very Mad

I had a bump in an old D2 and was given an XC90 for 2 weeks while it was fixed, ended up being disputed and found myself having to go to court to help my insurer justify it. They won the case and there was never any risk to me but a real PITA that I could have done without. If it happended again I would be cautious in accepting anything oither than a basic courtesy car.

Post #159644320th Jan 2016 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hodko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

It's the car hire element of insurance that now generates all of their profits. The insurance is just an excuse to get into the uninsured loss business.

I had my Vogue hit about a year ago by an old Censored on a roundabout. I called my insurers and they had a replacement Vogue out to me within 2 hours. TP insurers phoned me 4 hours later offering a car. I said I already had one and that it was another Vogue. The guy from Saga insurance almost started crying. He said that they would be charged over £600 A DAY for that car, and mine would be off the road for 3 weeks getting repaired. That's over £12,000 in hire car fees.

I did the decent thing and said that really wasn't my problem as I was blameless. His counter was that I could have any car I wanted. Any car, as long as I got it through them.

The Vogue went back and I had almost 4 weeks in a Bentley Continental GT.

It's just lunacy.
 So far:
2 x 4.2 S/C Vogue
4.4 Vogue
Disco 3
1.8 Freelander
And an Evoque for the War Department 

Post #159645720th Jan 2016 5:19 pm
Nasher

This whole experience is now starting to leave a bitter taste in my mouth, but not from the source I thought it might.

The Shogun I have on loan is a hateful pile of Censored to drive, and is costing me loads to run in fuel compared to the D3.
I’m considering asking the hire car company to swap it for a Golf or something that will be nicer to have for a while.

My insurance company have been great so far.

The Ambulance service insurance company have been great so far.

Apart from not having any Discoverys, the hire car company have been very helpful.

The accident repair centre have been great, friendly, helpful, keeping me up to speed etc.

However Land Rover are being completely useless with supplying parts to the repair centre.
Specifically a new rear quarter panel that is on back order and the supply date keeps going backwards.
Currently it’s next Friday and it will then need to be welded in and painted etc.

Nasher.
Post #160020827th Jan 2016 2:18 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Top result

Post #160036327th Jan 2016 5:28 pm
Washwipe

England 

Nasher wrote:
So, brand new LWB diesel Shogun just turned up, I believe they are still a 3.2.

Lovely deep red colour, but very plasticy inside.

Took it up the road and it drives exactly the same as my last Shogun, which was a 52plate 3.2 with 180K miles on it.

I can honestly say that my 10yr old D3 with 175K miles on it is a nicer drive.
Very vague steering that requires a lot of input accompanied by lots of engine noise, squeaks etc.
The suspension also feels harsh having been spoilt by the D3s air springs.

I’m glad in a way, as I won’t mind giving it back.

Nasher.

Seems that your not alone with your appraisal on the Shogun.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic25580.html?

Post #160047727th Jan 2016 7:53 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nasher, I'm a paramedic in London, I drive the cars all the time and the ambulance service are normally very good and quick at sorting claims out( in London cannot say other services) our vehicles are fitted with black boxes and can tell if lights and sirens are used and obviously speed of impact.

Re your unfortunate accident it is common to send a few ambulance staff to the scene, one would normally be a crew to check everyone is ok, an officer is also sent and in most cases a driving instructor/accident investigator so would think that would be the four. Obviously police are also sent depending how bad, we do get have to have a breath test also so would have thought the ambulance person would have had one two. Sorry you felt you were intimidated it should not have been like that, obviously both of you should have been checked over to see if any one is injured and treated as required.

Driving on lights and sirens is a hard thing to do as some on here will agree and it is 100% concentration all the time looking all around trying to guess what other drivers are doing and the public( running out in front of you as they think they can cross the road before you get to them because they cannot wait that extra few seconds). I am not trying to defend him because normally when you have an RTC whilst responding it is classed as your fault weather it is or not.

I was stationary unable to go anywhere with the lights on due to traffic ahead of me and this artic tried to get out of my way he went right up the side of the new Volvo with his overhang on the trailer and creased all the near side panels and took the wing mirror off but, I was classed as responsible due to me having the lights on even though like I said I was stationary at the time.
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #160050527th Jan 2016 8:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >