Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Photos, Videos & Media

Lakes April 08 post event discussion and pictures.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Green Laner, if there were no signs then how are we supposed to know?

No one would have driven it had it had been known to us.

Before jumping down peoples throats on a public forum, perhaps you would like to pm me and ill send you my number...that way we can have a chat offline.

Alternativly i would welcome your comments face to face when im back up your way on the 11th of May.
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #29290628th Apr 2008 7:48 pm
Green Laner

Just read the posts on the other forums and you'll see what the rest of the community thinks of your group. Trust me, its not just me, my comments are the tip of the iceberg!

As for the damage, any further wear on the hole itself will further weaken the structure of the road as at this point it crosses a bog which will make the repair work even more difficult to achieve and potentially beyond the resources of a voluntary group. If it cannot be repaired this way then that is it, the road will be closed as there is no official funding available to repair it.

Maybe you would all like to be part of the weekend repair party, when it happens?

Post #29291128th Apr 2008 7:50 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think you will find that if you do just a little research (sound familiar) you will see that when the hole was discussed earlier in the year we all volunteered not only time but materials to go and repair the said hole . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #29291328th Apr 2008 7:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I am sure you will get some volunteers from here. I re-iterate, only one vehicle attempted the hole. The rest reversed out. Minimal damage was done. It looks bad, but we were sepqarated into small groups, but the time taken to recover the vehicle caused a jam.

Post #29291428th Apr 2008 7:54 pm
Green Laner

Your volunteering is most noteworthy, we will no doubts be in touch when the time comes! That still doesn't answer the question why you guys tried to use the road though as some of you obviously knew there was a major problem with it.

I've also read that the group used the lane in Grizedale east-west rather than the west-east route as requested by the Park Authority. How do you wriggle out of that one?

Post #29291628th Apr 2008 7:58 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

So the one vehicle that went through into the hole will now make it irreparable ? Rolling Eyes No doubt over the years all the other groups, and maybe even you, who are whinging have also contributed to the so called damage that evolved into this hole...and yet you are making out that members of this forum are tantamount to the antichrist. That's more than a bit rich chap Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #29291828th Apr 2008 8:01 pm
Green Laner

No, but please stop making out that you were in the right here and accept that the group should not have attempted the route and in particular the damaged area. Since the guy who got stuck in there actually said his mate had driven it previously and it was bad then, I would have assumed he had enough sense to realise that the hole hadn't been filled in and was still deteriorating despite the leader's route plan saying it had been repaired and investigated a little further before sticking his vehicle into it.

At this delicate phase in the Old Coach Road's history we could all lose access to it forever and every time someone tries to get through the hole it just gets worse. The Park will Bobblie will simply use this as more evidence that we all smash up the Lakes and then all the lanes will get closed.

Post #29292528th Apr 2008 8:09 pm
Maverick

Scotland 

Gareth wrote:
Ryan assured me that the hole was filled in, and his mate had driven it recently.

They had been told that the damaged bit had been fixed and saw no danger in attempting it!
 Ben

1996 Defender 90 300 TDi 

Post #29293028th Apr 2008 8:14 pm
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

How do you explain the tyre marks deep in the bog around the hole as well....dont blame us for 1 vehicle needing to be recovered when clearly hundreds have tried and failed before.

Your points have been taken and we will assist in the repairs, if you like ill put a post up on your site suggesting dates and we can all go and repair it instead of talking about it.

Im now getting annoyed you ignored my previous post...im sending you my number via pm, call me and stop bleating like an old woman on this site.
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #29293128th Apr 2008 8:16 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I wasn't here but rather than argue about what has happened, lets organise for it to be fixed. There are quite a few people with a lot of resources on here, which could help.

I don't want to make light of it, but it is a hole in a road after all. If it gets filled in correctly then there will be no permanent harm and in fact probably a lot of improvement.

I think there have been quite a few posts where people have admitted it was worse than expected and as soon as one car got stuck everybody else didn't attempt it.

Maybe if you have some contacts you could get somebody to get some signs up because without local knowledge or spending hours on the internet it is sometimes difficult to know. Remember your a local who lives near the lane, I bet you would find it difficult to get the status of some of the lanes in Hampshire. I live here and it's hard enough.

Last edited by countrywide on 28th Apr 2008 8:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #29293228th Apr 2008 8:18 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Well said, let's move on.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #29293428th Apr 2008 8:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Green Laner wrote:
No, but please stop making out that you were in the right here

Now you are just being an ar5e to be honest. I think it has clearly been acknowledged on this thread that with the benefit of hindsight, the proper signage and notifications in the right places that the members would not have driven the lane. It may have been a mistake ...but what is done is done. Assistance to repair the lane has been offered and what would be in your interests is to gracefully acknowledge all of this ..and move on Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #29293528th Apr 2008 8:20 pm
monkey hanger

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

"Green laner"

with what authority do you think it is appropriate to come on this site making such presumptious and patronising comments?

I am sure that we all are keen to use the lanes respectfully and tone disrespectful of your comments only serves to undermine whatever superior authority you seem to think that you have.

Your suggestion that somehow the members of this site are so hated by other forums is both ridiculous and disgraceful.
 "its probably a virus, you'll be right as rain in a few days and if you're playing sport try to favour the other leg"  
Post #29293928th Apr 2008 8:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Interesting to note that in the Difflock thread http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=21375 the FL1 driver does not come in for this sort of attack, posted 2 weeks ago.

Click image to enlarge

Post #29294428th Apr 2008 8:30 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That hole as been there for25 to 30 year as my friend lived at the Farm at the end of it Burket Bank i drove this road when you could drive all the lane with no bother its a drain off for the fell as you should know and what ever you do it will all ways be there but as others have said we will help repair it you have just to let us know.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #29294828th Apr 2008 8:37 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >