Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

FILO's autobox oil change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 17 <123 ... 567 ... 151617>
virukalur

Estonia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

If LAND ROVER TYK500050=SHELL M-1375.4 then MANNOL ATF AG55=MANNOL DEXRON VI.
Same Censored , different name.

Post #14542836th Apr 2015 12:30 pm
roastbeef

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Dexron 6

I used dexron 6, as it was all I could get here "matic atf 6" http://www.cai34.com/produits/produits_lub_transmissions2.html
Works fine, it is a Repsol product, I replaced 8 litres in all.
I let it drain for a few days then tried to pump the rest out but nothing came out so that must have been it!
Make sure you get the right filter pan ( I got the wrong one first and could not get it past the crossmember) so you need the metal one with the separate filter.
Good luck
Phil

Post #151558314th Aug 2015 11:23 am
filo

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I don't know how much you paid that "juice" but we paid 10,50 per litre lifeguardfluid 6 (this is the OEM fluid) in the UK

F.

Post #152994215th Sep 2015 4:31 pm
roastbeef

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I think it was about 9 euros per liter.
Update: Been running on the new oil for a couple of months now, judders have got worse, so I put 2 tubes of dr tranny in and everything is fine.
So maybe the dexron 6 is not so great.
Have too say that the judders were there before I changed the fluid so I could be looking at a new TC

Post #153153518th Sep 2015 5:49 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Here you have an extended list of oils for our autoboxes

http://www.discotr.es/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=7621

Happy autobox oil change! Laughing

Thumbs Up

Post #153157018th Sep 2015 7:33 pm
BoseD

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Firstly thank you to Filo and everyone else for this thread. What a awesome effort. Thanks

I bought the D3 at 47K Kms and had no trouble at all. After reading and finally catching on to the auto issues, I changed the factory pan at 142K Km's

Than at 155K's Kms i began to experience the dreaded shudder. Took it to indy Land Rover workshop here in Melb - D3 been there a few times before. This was 2 week after the first shudder - which was short and quick - Over the two weeks it grew a bit worse - by the time I was driving it in - it was really noticeable at 40Km's - 60km's zone or going up hills. (This vehicle hash't done any towing with me and I doubt it did any with the previous owner looking at the set up and wear.)

So the LR repair shop basically just wiped their hands and said new AT or recondition the current - either way a lot of money - There was no other suggestion or "you can try this but you do so at your risk" Right or wrong bit annoyed with their attitude.

Luckily I began researching a couple of weeks ago and ended up here.

Today I have followed the instructions and done the 1st flush - put in Dr Tranney and used Fuchs ATF 4400 as replacement oil - taken it for a spin - amazingly the shudder is gone. Thumbs Up

Did 30km's - all different driving - out onto the highway - all good so far. Going to do another flush and see how it goes. Had a 4000 km trip to start in a couple of days - bitumen stuff - might just try it. Either way - good or bad - report back here how it goes.

But really - does LR and ZF have to let it come this? Could it be just a change of oil and a certain brand of anti shudder make such a difference? Surely they are feeding owners just BS about Shell Oil F6 or whatever its called. It shouldn't have to come to this, imo. Especially when you read ZF's pdf about the 6 speed auto - which basically said - sealed for life however under the certain conditions it may pay to change the oil at 80,000 - 100,000 km's - And what is one of those conditions - driving for sustained periods on a highway in sixth gear - hell don't we all do that?

"Sealed for death and wipe our hands free and no way will our warranty cover it" -

I'm Censored off with LR and ZF for all claim and avoid responsibility attitude.

Post #157791315th Dec 2015 4:05 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Don't blame ZF as there is nothing wrong with their servicing schedule. JLR are the true villains in this saga by claiming that the box can go to 150,000 miles before servicing and then refusing to warranty the box if it fails before the first scheduled service.

The gearbox can achieve stellar mileage if serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Welcome to the forum!

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #157795415th Dec 2015 9:12 am
filo

BoseD wrote:

-CUT-

"Sealed for death and wipe our hands free and no way will our warranty cover it" -

I'm Censored off with LR and ZF for all claim and avoid responsibility attitude.

just sold my disco @ 188k
serviced the autobox twice in "her" life and she (she's like a girl) still pulls strong w/o any shudder and I tow a heavy trailer

my new disco is only 69k and I'm planning to full service the tranny asap
new pan and fresh juice are on the way...

F.

Post #157825915th Dec 2015 6:24 pm
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Following Filo's lead, I did a gearbox double flush, pan and filter change a few days ago. I used the body of a 5 litre garden sprayer, with an air line tapped in the safety valve outlet, and a pipe barb fitting in the usual hose outlet spot.

I ran the engine for ~15 seconds, and collected just under 4 litres of black and nasty fluid. I then pressurised the sprayer (I reduced my compressor outlet to 40psi) and with the engine off, pushed 4 litres back in.

Rinse...and repeat, followed by running the engine to empty 4 litres back out.

Removed the sump (already had a metal pan), pulled the filter out (though I had to go fishing for the little o-ring) and replaced. The metal pan and gasket had been sealed with some RTV type sealant, took me a fair while to carefully scrape it off. Put the metal pan back on, tightened up using the approved pattern and torque.

Ran through all the gears a few times, and then did the level check...with an ambient temperature of 33 degrees, it doesn't take long to get to required temperature at all Laughing

Test drove, and a noticeable difference. Instead of needing a few revs to get moving, it now moves on the slightest blip of the throttle. No shudder, only a faint harshness when sitting in D with foot on brake.

I used Fuchs Titan 4134, about 16 litres in total.

Post #16184861st Mar 2016 4:27 am
BoseD

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

quick update - did two flushes using Fuchs Titan 4400 and Dr Tranney - did 200k's and shudder gone immediately. After being told my auto was stuffed and I needed to pay $6K's to fix it. Sad

Because time was short and i had a big trip in front of me, I did another flush with the Titan and Dr Tranney but this time added LugeGard Platinum on recommendation - the auto changes were even smoother and there seemed to be an increase in power, especially through acceleration in the lower gears (1-4).

I than did a 5000 Km round trip with a couple hundred k's on beach and it never missed a beat. It is still running the best it ever has.

Thanks Filo. I intended to flush regularly - 15,000 k's because it ain't that expensive and really easy to do. I think the LubeGard Platinum is a winner as well but only my word, THANKS to ALL

Post #16185331st Mar 2016 9:53 am
filo

it's great this topic is still alive!
I'm going through the first flush on my second D3
previous D3 is still running strong @190k. The actual owner is planning to get it flushed again (third time).
Thumbs Up
F.

Post #162675017th Mar 2016 11:33 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Flushed out 12 litres of atf yesterday via the 'filo' method.
£6 pump sprayer
£50 of ag55 atf from Germany
£3 10mm id clear plastic hose
£1 jubilee clip

Very easy to do thanks to this thread Thumbs Up
Would advise clear hose so you can see what's going on at all times.
Pump sprayer seemed to take an age to force new oil back in but got there in the end Thumbs Up

First setup on floor to pressurise sprayer.

Click image to enlarge

Once 4 litres pumped out by engine I moved sprayer up and hooked hose over bonnet catch for intravenous drip effect.

Dirty oil out clean in

Click image to enlarge

Cleaner oil out, it's frothed up so looks dirtier than it was but if I was doing again I would have probably put 16 litres though to be sure (especially with the price of ag55)

No noticeable difference on drive but it was purely preventative maintenance Thumbs Up

Also big thanks to Iceman for loan of his IID to check oil temp while doing level check after Bow down

Last edited by DiscoJake on 21st Mar 2016 1:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #162821020th Mar 2016 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lynhay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Changed the oil and filter on mine yesterday , used the metal two piece sump conversion , all went well without any problems . Why is everybody doing this oil swapping method ?

Post #162881421st Mar 2016 1:44 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Because you can only change half the oil via sump drain (the rest is still in the torque convertor).
A pumped flush changes all the oil Thumbs Up

Post #162882321st Mar 2016 1:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lynhay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ah I see, so how much extra do you get out , mine took about 5 1/4 litres to refill .

Post #162882621st Mar 2016 2:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 17 <123 ... 567 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >