Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine System Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Loss of Power

Hi AngelFire: Only last week 02:30 hrs, 4 miles south of Watford Gap on the M1, minus 4c and a caravan on the back, I experienced severe loss of power and enguine system failure flashing on dash. Made for the hard shoulder, managed to keep moving in second gear on the command shift, at 25 miles per hour up the hard shoulder to Watford Gap Services.
Rang LR assist but all they could offer was a recovery to Corley Services on M6 where an AA patrol 'may' be able to diagnose the problem. After much discussion it turned out that they could get a propoer LR Assist guy to me at 09:00 hrs. 07:00 hrs LR Assist rang and said that the LR guy would be with me at 08:00 hrs.
He duly turned up, plugged his laptop diagnostic thingy in which announced that a MAP sensor was at fault. MAP sensor is a small black plastic item fitted right in the centre of the top of the inlet manifold secured by a 5mm torx screw. He removed the sensor and as he predicted it was blocked with black oil sludge. He cleaned it out, refitted it and the problem was solved. He followed me 10/15 miles up the motorway to make sure everything was OK. Excellent service. Pity it's not 24 hours. (his name was Chris)
It's not unknown, apparently, for these MAP sensors to become blocked, although they are not anything that would be looked at on a service, perhaps they should be, I'll certainly be checking mine. For the record my Disco has done only 24,000 miles with full Land Rover Service. I hope this article is of use to you
Regards Barry C

Post #77677321st Mar 2011 11:41 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Changed MAF sensor in mine at start of problems as error codes suggested that but it made no difference. If only it was that simple! From my experience it recovered via shutting down and not cleaning the sensor. Big Cry Big Cry

PS were there any other codes, especially turbo related?

Post #77677421st Mar 2011 11:47 am
anglefire

England 

Thank Barry - not sure mine is the same, as I managed to read the Engine fault codes with my BAS remap thingy - which came today Thumbs Up

The code that was displayed was P2290 - which I believe is "Injector control pressure too low"
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #77696421st Mar 2011 7:40 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Changed MAF sensor in mine at start of problems as error codes suggested that but it made no difference. If only it was that simple! From my experience it recovered via shutting down and not cleaning the sensor. Big Cry Big Cry

PS were there any other codes, especially turbo related?

He said MAP sensor, not MAF Whistle

MAP sensor detects turbo boost pressure. MAF detects air flow and air temperature Thumbs Up

@ angelfire:

Could be as simple as a blocked fuel filter, or low pressure pump in the tank is not supplying enough fuel to the HPFP, or the HPFP could be dying...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #77698921st Mar 2011 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Oops read MAF!! Read what I was expecting. Embarassed Embarassed

Might have a look at that tomorrow. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 21st Mar 2011 8:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #77699421st Mar 2011 8:30 pm
Disco_Mikey

Guess what you will be checking in the morning Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #77699621st Mar 2011 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

DSL wrote:
Might have a look at that tomorrow. Thumbs Up

Whistle Whistle Wink

Anyone got a pic of where it is?? Mr. Green

Post #77699921st Mar 2011 8:33 pm
Disco_Mikey

Not the greatest of pictures, but if you go to the 4th picture down, it is right at the rear of the Y-shaped thing, right infront of the red connector for the fuel pipes Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...s%20D3.pdf

Will try and find a better picture
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #77700521st Mar 2011 8:42 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #77700721st Mar 2011 8:48 pm
Disco_Mikey

There, ignore the big red arrow Whistle

Click image to enlarge

MAP sensor is circled (or ovaled) :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #77700821st Mar 2011 8:48 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Though SWMBO is banning me from tinkering as she thinks, or knows, I'll screw it up! Shocked Shocked

Post #77701021st Mar 2011 8:51 pm
anglefire

England 

I'm pretty sure I had the same code last year - the dealer changed the filter then - and I'm pretty sure it was changed again at the next service. Didn't solve it either way.

One of the pumps has to be a possible.

I'll ring the dealer in the morning and book it in - no doubt sometime next week if I'm lucky. Sad
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #77701821st Mar 2011 9:01 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

In the spirit of "let's change everything til it's fixed", how easy/expensive is it for a stealer/indi to change the fuel filter inside the tank? I assume the high pressure fuel pump would be expensive.

Also whilst thinking of high pressure fuel pump, wasn't there a recall/service action for that couple of years ago for 07MY onwards? Could this be the same issue but affecting 05 & 06MYs? Question Question

Post #77702421st Mar 2011 9:16 pm
Disco_Mikey

anglefire wrote:
I'm pretty sure I had the same code last year - the dealer changed the filter then - and I'm pretty sure it was changed again at the next service. Didn't solve it either way.

One of the pumps has to be a possible.

I'll ring the dealer in the morning and book it in - no doubt sometime next week if I'm lucky. Sad

If you have access to a pressure gauge, put it onto the bleed screw at the back of the engine (before the pump) and you are looking for round about 0.75Bar IIRC...

High pressure needs to be read via a diagnostic machine, due to the high pressures involved

For the filter inside the tank, the tank would have to be dropped no doubt
High pressure pump would be fairly expensive, both price of part and labour to fit

IIRC, the recall for the fuel pumps was a lubrication issue, and/or a fuel leak, but was only 07MY>on

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #77703021st Mar 2011 9:23 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Finally got round to (or to be truthful remembered to) look at the MAP sensor. Took it out and looked like below. Cleaned it up and replaced. I'd just done a 10 mile run in the car and from one roundabout (before cleaning) my Jazz could have beaten it in a drag race! Big Cry Big Cry After I cleaned it the D3 got to 60 in about 1/5th the distance and felt a good deal more peppy. It's not had its remap redone so seems to be not far off what an unremapped D3 was like (from doim & distant memory).

Click image to enlarge

For a non techie, what does the MAP sensor do? Would the degree of oil coating it caused the problem, though hole in the end seemed not too blocked? Would it result in symptoms that resembled air starvation and increase the fuel consumption. I'm hoping this is the answer but not getting my hopes up too much. Whistle

Many thanks DM for the pointers above. Bow down

PS Thinking of changing it anyway incase he oil gunk has got into where I can't clean. Anyone know how much they cost?

Post #7818963rd Apr 2011 11:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >