Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - AMK Suspension Compressor Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>
MikeO

Scotland 

What happened to the one you fitted w/c 2nd November? Smile

Personally I wouldn't do anything else. The valve block should be easy to change if / when the time comes and I don't think having the compressor off improves access much (from memory). I'd fit the tank as is - the current one's lasted almost 10 years. Or maybe just do the ends as that seems to be where they go?

Make sure to have new captive nuts (don't drop them when fitting - easily done) and new relay. The only thing that didn't come with my new compressor was the nuts but I don't know that all are supplied with the relay.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #14026017th Jan 2015 9:39 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

MikeO wrote:
What happened to the one you fitted w/c 2nd November? Smile

I didn't fit it. I've been toying with the idea of chopping the D3 in for something newer/cheaper but decided keeping the D3 for a bit longer is ultimately cheaper than taking out another lease on something I don't want to drive.

Only reason I asked about fitting other parts (especially the reservoir valve block) was because my Gallery Pressure seems to be constantly sitting at 96 kPa. Shocked This seems far too low to me. Sporadically, it will increase to ~900 kPa and then rapidly drop back down to 96 kPa. This is when cruising along the motorway at 70 mph.

The ride is horrendously crashy at the moment but have no fault codes logged for reservoir valve block or anything else. I'm hoping a new compressor, air tank, and AMK flash of the RHM will sort it out. Otherwise, I'm looking at a new reservoir valve block and - potentially - air springs. Big Cry

I know the gallery pressure sensor is available as a separate part but I imagine it's probably not worth replacing that in isolation on a 8 year old valve block that's probably contaminated with silica dust.

Are the gallery pressure I'm seeing (~96 kPa) considered normal? Like I say, the compressor cuts in and out but the pressure seems to drop rapidly at random times. I'm guessing the fault lies with the exhaust valve on the old Hitachi compressor.

Anyway, the new parts go on at the weekend and we'll see how things are after that. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #14031257th Jan 2015 8:36 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Once the system has built up to 1800kpa, the reservoir valve closes and the system dumps itself of air...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #14031357th Jan 2015 8:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeO

Scotland 

I see about 150-170kPa normally since my suspension issue went away. Prior to that it was 250-350kPa and when it sits at the top end of that, it throws the "gallery pressure not decreasing" fault. See the end of this thread: http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic121291.html where typical gallery pressures are discussed.

96kPa is atmospheric pressure though so it sounds like you're exhausting every last drop. My gallery pressure will rise to 1780kPa if I raise the car and then as soon as it hits it, drop back to 150-170kPa.

If I were you I'd fit the new compressor and see what the gallery pressures look like after that. As you're pretty certain the compressor is borked and it could be causing a number of different issues.

Mike
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #14031377th Jan 2015 8:53 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Atmospheric pressure should be approximately 1021 hPa this evening yet my IIDTool is still displaying 96 kPa (960 hPa) Gallery Pressure.

This suggests my suspension compressor is actually creating a small vacuum in the air tank (if it's less than atmospheric pressure, right?). Shocked Laughing

1 kPa = 10 hPa therefore atmospheric pressure should be registering as 102.1 kPa.
I have no idea where it is getting 96 kPa from. Shocked This is what makes me believe the pressure sensor is Censored .

I shall fit the new compressor and air tank and see what's going on after that. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #14031487th Jan 2015 9:09 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

All done thanks very much Thumbs Up
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #140823215th Jan 2015 4:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LX0850

Luxembourg Ensign 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Everybody,

I've just had the compressor replaced on our MY05 D3 and asked the garage to give me the old one.
The garage said the D3 was blowing a fuse and producing all the normal errors because it couldn't build enough pressure. It is a company car so we fitted a new compressor.

How do I test the old compressor to see if it works at all?
I could put power to the red/black power socket but the other socket has a lot of connectors and I suppose they do something......

Thanks!

-Graham-

PS: If anyone sees this twice - sorry I'm cross-posting.
(Didn't know which thread was better)

Post #141402525th Jan 2015 12:44 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

12 volt power to the thick red/black wires will tell you if the motor is working, the other smaller wires are for the temperature sensors and exhaust valve solenoid, they can be ignored for a bench test such as this.

The compressor motor running does not tell the full story though, it's quite possible the drier is blocked or the end cap is cracked, or even the reservoir tank on the car could be porous, any of which could prevent the system reaching full pressure.
 Clive

Post #141404025th Jan 2015 1:14 pm
LX0850

Luxembourg Ensign 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Clive,

I didn't think it was going to be rocket science - I just wanted to be sure because I wanted to offer the used unit for sale on the forum.

The motor turns when I connect it to a battery and sounds like a lab. vacuum pump so that's good.

Anyway here's what I want to do:
I'll take a few photo's and put it up for sale (by auction) in the For Sale & Wanted section.
All proceeds go to the forum.
- Whoever "wins" the auction donates the money to disco3.co.uk and when Martin mails me to say the money has arrived I send the compressor off by UPS, at my cost (sorry - Europe Only).

A strange idea but the forum gets a donation and someone gets a compressor to "play" with....

Watch that space !

-Graham-

PS: The UK was in Europe the last time I looked Whistle

Post #141436825th Jan 2015 10:13 pm
Black_64

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks to this excellent write up, it was easy to replace the Hitachi compressor with the new AMK !!
I used heating gun for heating the airline a bit (because it's still cold in the morning here) so i could put the bras insert in the airline. This went smooth.

It toked me about 1 hour. Then i replaced the relais and flashed the AMK firmware with the IID Tool.

No faults anymore and i hope they stay away.

Big thanks to Disco_Mikey!! Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Buckingham Blue -- IIDTool V3.0

Post #14392438th Mar 2015 11:38 am
SimonH

England 

Update on my new AMK being noisy.

There is a self tap bolt that goes up thru the bottom plastic plastic housing into the one piece bracket.

I had done mine up too tight and it was pressing the plastic up hard against the compressor bracket and amplifying the sound very effectively.

A few turns out on the bolt so the there is a little space between the housing and the compressor assembly and all is near silent humming. Very Happy

Sorted. Though why I didn't try this earlier, I don't know Rolling Eyes
 NOW SOLD: 2006 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt silver with Alpaca Leather
Tow Pack, PTI, Full Size Spare 

Post #146187021st Apr 2015 7:50 pm
rovervirus

Germany 

today my compressor did die in the morning.

question: does the compressor from the ffrr fit?
I mean this one:

http://ac-compressor.dvautoparts.com/disco...jorjpiikqq

I could get a nearly new one for low budget and I am wondering if it wold fit.

the compressor itself looks very simiar to the D3 one (ignore the black tubes beside the
compressor, they are filters).

would be wonderful, if anyone has made some experiences with this option. tanks a lot.
 Engineering is the perfect partnership between physics and design  
Post #14707518th May 2015 8:58 pm
Disco_Mikey

FFRR is different, and I don't.think it is compatible with D3/D4...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #14707638th May 2015 9:32 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

It is not compatible, with no D3 software available.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14708289th May 2015 8:13 am
Disco_Mikey

Exhaust valve fittings are different too.

Quick release on.D3, screw in brass silencer on FFRR
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #14708359th May 2015 8:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >