Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

EPB - LR say service car every 3750 miles (changed).
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Hmmm, Horsham. Who do we know who lives near Horsham?

Martin! Get yer backside down to these guys and check out what plans they have for the D3 will you?

Nice one Jon Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20862426th Sep 2007 10:29 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If the handbrake light is able to come on and the brakes are not applied, isn't this a real safety recall. Not so bad for an auto as you can put it in park, but if your parked on a hill in a manual car ..... Shocked

I didn't put the handbrake on properly on one of our cars and I found it across the road in the neighbours drive, missed their car by about 10cm's. When I first looked out the window I thought it had been stolen.

Post #20862626th Sep 2007 10:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You had better read This thread. Same thing has happened to mine a few times at traffic lights, I generally leave it in D and just pull the PB to hold the car. I have a few instances of the red (P) light coming on, but the car continuing to creep forward.

My worry here is that it could be a child behind or in front of the car, and the rest is unthinkable.

The cables get sticky and the above can happen.

Last edited by Gareth on 26th Sep 2007 10:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20862826th Sep 2007 10:37 pm
Adiver

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have just emailed X-Eng to ask if they would consider making a solution.

Jon

Post #20862926th Sep 2007 10:40 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up

Wonder how LR will react to getting the bill for 50 of them.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20863026th Sep 2007 10:42 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

What Gareth said

Mine does that, more often than not. Sometimes, it does the 'torque reapply' thang and I will jerk to a sudden halt (after about 10 feet), sometimes it just keeps going and I get a pb screamer. That's more likely to happen if I've been off-roading.

I'm using my park brake at every opportunity at the moment. I've had problems with it in the past and I'd rather it broke (again) now while I have warranty backup. If it does, I'll be referring back here for ammunition Wink

Post #20863226th Sep 2007 10:44 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Got an amber park brake light and the accompanying 'Park brake fault' message today Big Cry My D3 has not been off road since last November Big Cry and has not been off road at all since the EPB was last repaired 1500 miles ago! Will have to see what my dealer says next week when it goes in for its second service (only done 11500 miles altogether)
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #20863426th Sep 2007 10:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

As NoDo$h said, this is something for VOSA surely. A handful of handbrake issues should be enough to trigger an investigation surely, let alone the numbers we are seeing on this site. The only problem is that if they don't have a fix, what happens.

I haven't even got mine yet and I am worried about the EPB (actually it should be the neighbour across the road from out drive who should be nervous Laughing )

Last edited by countrywide on 26th Sep 2007 11:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20863826th Sep 2007 10:52 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Woody, would love to hear the outcome of this. I find it appalling that LR use the fact that my car gets damp to the depth of 12" to refuse to pay warranty and demand I service my car every 6 weeks!
Post #20864026th Sep 2007 10:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I am very confused by the apparent stance by Land Rover. On the one hand they are extra cautious about getting sued for causing accidents, for example the annoying "I Agree" statement that must be accepted each time you drive the car, and the fact that nav entry on the move has only just been made available.

Yet they continue to apparently do nothing about what is turning out to be a serious safety concern regarding a primary safety system on the car. Surely paymasters Ford learned their lessons from previous history. (or maybe this is why they want to sell it Shocked )

I am puzzled.

Post #20864226th Sep 2007 10:59 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

will let you know Monday evening Thumbs Up
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #20864326th Sep 2007 11:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

[cyncism]
Throughout the history of the motor car, it has often been decided by the beancounters that it is cheaper to fight and pay out individual compensation claims than it is to recall and fix a problem. This is much easier if the number of actual deaths caused by the issue is relatively low.
[/cynicism]

My Volvo T5 had an electronic throttle module that was badly designed and therefore guaranteed to fail. In the USA there was a class action and a recall to fix it. In the UK there was no recall - it was up to the owners to pay for replacements at ~£500 a pop. Oh, it wasn't a serious safety issue you understand, oh no. When it failed it would just drop the engine into limp home mode. In laymans terms that's suddenly travelling at 20mph on the motorway instead of 70. Very safe. And that's why I'd no longer buy Volvo; as far as I'm concerned they've burnt the safety record they validated over decades, and they'll never see my money again as I simply can't trust them to do the right thing anymore.

On a more positive note, maybe we could petition Mattel to buy out LR, then we could guarantee a recall? Laughing

I had a look at the x-eng site (it's looking hopeful isn't it?) and there's an interesting paragraph there regarding an earlier model LR :

x-eng website wrote:

If you drive off-road, you know how useless the standard Land Rover transmission brake can be. The brake itself is fine, its just that it traps muddy water inside which rapidly grinds down the shoes and bungs up the mechanism.

Perhaps LR considers brakes that fail in the conditions the car is alledgedly designed for just to be a mechanical heirloom passed down all the models?

It would be a real coup if x-eng could fit their disk to the transfer box like so many previous models, yet activate it from the EPB module (I like the way it auto-releases when I drive off Sad ). The x-eng solution looks like it'd laugh in the face of off-road conditions, and there's no massive adjustment needed like there obviously is with a drum and shoe solution.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20868027th Sep 2007 12:23 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

stapldm wrote:
[cyncism]
Throughout the history of the motor car, it has often been decided by the beancounters that it is cheaper to fight and pay out individual compensation claims than it is to recall and fix a problem. This is much easier if the number of actual deaths caused by the issue is relatively low.
[/cynicism]

My Volvo T5 had an electronic throttle module that was badly designed and therefore guaranteed to fail. In the USA there was a class action and a recall to fix it. In the UK there was no recall - it was up to the owners to pay for replacements at ~£500 a pop. Oh, it wasn't a serious safety issue you understand, oh no. When it failed it would just drop the engine into limp home mode. In laymans terms that's suddenly travelling at 20mph on the motorway instead of 70. Very safe. And that's why I'd no longer buy Volvo; as far as I'm concerned they've burnt the safety record they validated over decades, and they'll never see my money again as I simply can't trust them to do the right thing anymore.

Last year Yamaha had the same thing with faulty throttle position sensors, for a few years they had denied anything wrong, but, the start of a class action suit in the US changed their minds and they issued a recall. The recall was staggered world wide and it covered a wide range of bikes. My 2004 R1 had it, as had my 2003 FJR1300, the FJR also had faulty valve guides in the head, both these faults were corrected this year under recall, I got 4 new TPS last May and a new cylinder head last week Thumbs Up
It did take a lot of pressure from the owners and these problems were always topics of discussion on the various owners websites.

Post #20868127th Sep 2007 12:41 am
cherokee

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The last time I went on Landrover Experience, the
guy that took us out came up with a question, as
they do he asked, "what would you do if you were
sat in the passenger seat and the driver had a
heart attack, and passed out" I said I would sh*t
my self, He answered, take the car up to 40mph
and take your hands of the steering wheel, he
then pulled the handbrake on and held it up
the car came to a halt pretty quick as if hilldecent
was on it made the same noises, I was pretty
impressed.But with all these post's I wonder if
there handbrakes would do this.
It seems from the teachings at LRE that they are
saying it is an EMERGENCY brake not just a park
brake.
Just my two-peneth hope it helps, best of luck.
 Always walk behind a Shooter and
In front of a Sh*ter 

Post #20868327th Sep 2007 1:19 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The emergency stop uses the disc brakes on all 4 wheels and not the park brake though.

And yes... give it a go one day on a clear road - HANDS ON THE WHEEL PLEASE THOUGH - and be amazed at how fast the D3 stops. Noises yeas, drama no Thumbs Up

Post #20868427th Sep 2007 1:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >