Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front Brake Pads - changing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 11 <123 ... 678 91011>
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Wiggs - why does the EBP need two adjusters ? It may be the heat today but it seem a bit daft.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #32618927th Jul 2008 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Are you on about the fact that there's an adjuster on each rear wheel? or that there's an adjuster and then a cam that needs to be loosened & then tightened back up?

Of course each rear wheel needs to have an adjuster (EPB works on rear only) as you have a set of drum brakes. The knurled adjuster does the biggest part of the adjustment in re-tensioning and the allen key adjusted cam, allows the top of the drum pad to re-adjust.

Both are pretty simple once you've done it once.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #32619927th Jul 2008 6:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ah, so the knurled adjusted spreads the shoes so to speak, and the cam moves the effective radius to keep both shoes on the same center as the drum/disc ?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #32622027th Jul 2008 7:18 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Of course for those that don't want to change their own brake pads, sensors, discs and adjust the EPB, I can offer an on-site service cheaper than the dealer.... 8)

Post #32622627th Jul 2008 7:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

@shinyMoose, yes, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Been using it a couplke of times today & no squeels at all. 8)

@10forcash Thumbs Up still in mind for when I need work that I can't do myself Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #32622827th Jul 2008 7:30 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There's a guy in Thurso wants his doing Ben Doon and is frend FillMacaverty
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #32623027th Jul 2008 7:31 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

If anyone is interested, according to their web site, there's an article in September's Land Rover Enthusiast magazine on how to change a Discovery 3's brake pads and discs. Not seen it personally but as I need to change my rear pads soon, I think I'll go hunt down a copy and take a look!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #33149712th Aug 2008 1:44 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

10forcash wrote:
Of course for those that don't want to change their own brake pads, sensors, discs and adjust the EPB, I can offer an on-site service cheaper than the dealer.... 8)

Would you change the whole thing for something that works and doesn't fail? Perhaps re-using old Series/RR/D1/D2 components???

or do you mean just replace the standard badly designed components in a fundamentally flawed and unecessarily complicated design for new, equally badly designed components in the same fundamentally flawed and unecessarily complicated design??? Big Cry
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #33149912th Aug 2008 1:58 pm
SN

10forcash wrote:

Fook - didn't spot that till now Iain - I've just thrown a load of ca$h at a dealer, sorry Big Cry
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #33150812th Aug 2008 2:19 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

DiscoDunc wrote:
has anybody ever used these ????

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_p...004%2D%29#

they seem "well priced"

I replaced front and rear with these at 20k miles, rotors and pads. I have been happy with them. At 20k miles, the original front pads and rotors were shot and could not be turned according to the dealer. At 52k miles, I am replacing all pads (rear pads down to 3m) The rotors are still good. I would highly suggest them, and LR should put them on as stock.

Post #33364418th Aug 2008 3:01 pm
azeg

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all,

wanted to change the pads and discs that weekend;
Pads seem to be very easy, but i stumbeled with changing the discs (front).
The caliper frame seems to be mounted with two TORX screws that seem to have size E25; but i cant get an E25 Nut.E 24 is definitvely to small.

So, is there a chance to change the discs without removing the caliper-frame ?
And is there perhaps a DIY or Howto to be found here ?
I tried the "search" but it responded 3500 results and i stopped reading after the first 500 Very Happy

Cheers
André

Post #3385931st Sep 2008 10:05 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I don't think you'll be able to. There isn't enough clearence to get the disk out without removing the frame.
You should be able to get T25 socket from most car part stores. Although you may need to buy a set.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #3385961st Sep 2008 10:20 am
azeg

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Bodsy,

thx for reply, most set (mine included) start at E6 and stop at E24.
Bigger than E24 seems to be very rare. I did even not find one in an online-shop.
THink that i have to have a look at my local tool-store, perhaps i will be lucky.
BTW.: does anybody know if i need an additional tool for changing the rear discs (which i am a bit worried about changing them without DIY) ?

Cheers
André

Post #3386201st Sep 2008 11:42 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

No additional tool needed (other than the same as the front), but you will need to re-set and adjust the EPB once you've changed the rears. e-mail me your address if yoiu want the EPB instructions. Thumbs Up

You may want to change the EPB pads too whilst you're there (depends on how worn they are)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #3386231st Sep 2008 11:46 am
dufftowndisco3

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

had my rear discs and pads done by the garage, then did the front pads myself, cheers for the advice guys Thumbs Up

Club MTR, black RRS wheels, RAI, GN sump guard, etc blah
D3, D1, DEF 90, FREELANDER COMMERCIAL 

Post #4310691st Mar 2009 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 11 <123 ... 678 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >