Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Simon.pl - a little different Base Coiler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Namlandy wrote:
Thanx, I can get the TJM brand here. did any one done it from air to coils, want to know what to do with height sensors.

Bulldocer has done it,see here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic63575.html

Post #79939123rd May 2011 11:40 am
Hijack

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just noticed this topic. Great stuff Simon Thumbs Up

Wish I knew the place where the wrapping like that can be done, before my D3 developed scratches after Transpolonia trip Big Cry Wink

But all is not lost, may visit the place during my summer trip to Warsaw Whistle Hmmmm.... black-silver would that work I wonder?
 D3 XS Manual - gone  
Post #79980424th May 2011 12:43 pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks Guys Thumbs Up
Hijack - satin silver (if you consider satin colours) looks ugly when dirty Wink Seen some sport cars wrapped with satin silver - great when clean, not too cool even after Polish rain Wink But generally such combination is nice Smile
Will PM you the address in a minute.
Thumbs Up

Post #79984124th May 2011 2:30 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

any new toy on that beauty?

Post #81121326th Jun 2011 7:35 pm
Simon.pl

Actually YES Twisted Evil
I have installed CB radio with the external speaker placed in the centre of the dash - really nice solution!, developed cabling for the roof lights, installed them on the brand new Pro Speed rack and put the new "boots" on - Yokohama Geolandar MT Mr. Green Also installed external cable for my iPhone that allows me to listen to the music on the AUX of the radio and charge the phone simultanously. Pics later on as I'm extremely busy with the preparation for the off road trip to Crimea Exclamation Twisted Evil

Post #81135527th Jun 2011 10:38 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Ukraine sound cool but I prefer higher Carpathians in Romania hihi

have fun spread the D3 infection Twisted Evil

Post #81144427th Jun 2011 3:15 pm
Simon.pl

So finally found time to make an update 8) Spent another hours to modify the car, but as Grzesiul said - it is some kind of infection and I can not do anything about it Mr. Green

So simple and nice mod - cabling for the iPhone - found really cheap iPhone cable on our Ebay - around $8 Smile - you can charge the phone using the USB connector (with the optional 12V to 5V converter) and there are A/V connectors.
I wasn't intrested in Video, so just cut Audio connectors and connected them with the AUX cables on the back of the radio. Quality is great (it seems that the dynamic is better than on the CD! Shocked ) and you can run the iPod forever as the phone is being charged all the time Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Another cabling was done with the CB radio and the speaker.
I've decided to put CB radio down the steering wheel in a place that doesn't bother me at all but can have instant access to any buttons I need. The radio is quite big so there was a problem finding better place, but this one is rally nice.

Click image to enlarge

The speaker was put at the centre of the dash. I've bought 10/60, 8Ohm, 1000-9000Hz, 60W, 91dB speaker which is more than enough! Sounds great, cuts all the irritating high freq noises and is loud enough to hear the talkers while listening to music quite loud Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge

Post #81999523rd Jul 2011 1:46 pm
Simon.pl

Another challenge was to put driving lights for the ProSpeed rack.

Installing rack itself was quite easy, although the ladder was a pain due to not too straight part that hides behind the number plate's light hood. It took me around 3 hours to straighten it and fit it on place.. Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

The rack is ok. It is not as quiet as I thought - probably because of the gap at the front of it as you can see on the picture. Probably another piece of foam would do the job - will take care of it later.

Click image to enlarge

Great thing is it really doesn't increase the fuel consumption - I could drop below 10l/100km driving with speed 70-90km/h fully loaded and on the Geolandar MTs!

Regarding lights.
As I had additional pair of LR lights and also bought used WARN SDB-210 DualBeam lights I've decided to put them on the rack. I know LEDs are on the way on the market - still very expensive, but I got WARNs in good price so why not to use them? Mr. Green

Read here and on other forums some topics about wiring the lights, but haven't found all information in one place, so decided to prepare to it as Engineer should Twisted Evil I have decided to run the cables down the car - to the back, and than up the tail gate, to the rack, and under it - to the lights, that seats on front. I makes one cable around 8m long! which should be considered while developing the loom.

Here is some physics that can be used to calculate the proper cable thickness, that can be helpful for others wanting to cable the lights in a safe way.
I’ve created Excel sheet that can be seen here on the PDF file.
Anyone interested in having original file, PM me.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use..._-_eng.pdf

As you can see I had to use 4mm2 cables that makes 3 of them for each light (WARN uses long and short beem with sepearte relays and LR uses additional wire for position lamp). Putting the cables into the protective pipe was a real Censored pain… At the end of the 8m long route I had a hand like this (even after working with gloves on!)

Click image to enlarge

Other pictures of the cable route are on my gallery.

Both WARN lights are on the separate switch – so independent from the lights of the car. You can wire them with the car lights if you want, but as I have LR lights connected with driving lights of the Disco, I’ve decided have those separate.
If anyone would buy WARN lights without the loom (as I had at the beginning) here is also a pic showing WARN loom. I was lucky to get the original loom with the original switcher and relays for free so at the end didn’t have to worry, but looked through the web searching for such scheme and could not find it, so hopefully this will be helpful for others.

Both LR lights mounted on the roof rack are connected with the original ones placed on the bumper. Just connected the cables right behind the relay and that was it Smile

At the end I have modified the LR lights with the additional position lights – which, in my opinion, just look good Smile

Here are some pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the final result
Click image to enlarge

Post #82001523rd Jul 2011 3:42 pm
g30rge

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Love the colour combo - matches my D2 project

Click image to enlarge

Post #82028024th Jul 2011 9:45 pm
prospeed
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Simon,

Love the vinyl wrapped composite front by the way. With regard to the gap between it and the roof, did you use the 3mm alloy spacers? If you did it would be worth trying it without them.

Regards,
Ben

Post #82033725th Jul 2011 9:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon.pl

Thanks Ben
Yes - the spacers are there - will try to remove them when I finally find time for this Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #82037025th Jul 2011 11:39 am
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

any photos of the new tyres fitted?? love the build.

Post #82149829th Jul 2011 11:32 am
Simon.pl

Long time since I posted anthing in this topic.
In fact some changes are still being made to the Disco - unending story Wink Just two pictures of the roof control panel I've been seting up for some time. It is to control two battery controller (Traxide), WARN winch switch (big relay to activate/deactivate winch operation from the cabin), OnBoardAirSystem switch with analog gauge, two work lights switches (L&R), two batteries meter with temperature display & activation swich (custom made - all infos on one display), remote webasto controller with switch and finally rear work light switch. Not everything working yet, but work's on progress Smile

The clean side
Click image to enlarge

and the "dirty" Wink
Click image to enlarge

I know the other side looks scary, but in fact it is not as bad as it looks. In fact there is not too much room up there so everything needs to be tight Wink

More info about new "toys" soon Smile
Have a great weekend!

Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #110830024th May 2013 7:54 pm
Simon.pl

OBA installed 8) Fits great and finally low air pressure if needed is not a problem Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge
Post #111074430th May 2013 9:55 pm
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

subscribed

Great work!!! Thumbs Up
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #12115994th Jan 2014 2:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >